2014-2015 GPF Mens Free Skate 12/13 | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Mens Free Skate 12/13

Icey

Record Breaker
Javi's program is so packed. Almost every second something is going on. I think it is a program that is so difficult he is doomed not to hit it every time he competes it . Maybe some simplification so he can have a little down town and not be on the whole time.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^ but on the other hand, if Javi can pull these so so difficult programs off. he surely will grow...:cheer:
Javi's program not only no breathing break, also high performance/acting skills demanded.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What is this hating about Hanyu's POTO costume? I love it! Saying it as someone who watched POTO on London Westend many many times (only less than Les Mis), I even saw its critically panned sequel Love Never Dies. I can say this costume is a decent original take on POTO... otherwise it might as well ends up being a Dracula program. Actually I'd be very surprised if it is Ma Hanyu's work, it looks a bit more professional than past costumes. Anyone knows who is responsible?

Phantom doesn't dress in black cape all the time especially at his home. In fact he rarely wear a mask or cape at all in its sequel. That mask and cape impression was because of all the marketing material. It is more like a mix old fashioned dress shirt/poet shirt. As a skating outfit it has the necessery bling blings and frills, but the detail were both theatrical and intricate enough to made him look less skinny because the patterned line that defines upper body torso and arm contours better. The details/colour suggest enough gothic romanticism, with hints of sinister/horror, arrogance, decadence and carelessness of the Phantom character who lives in the cellars away from sunlight during early turn of the century. It has much better complimentary symmetrical qualities than the early costume and make him look a bit more maturer and less like a girl anime fantasy cliche! (There's enough of that going around with Hanyu already lol!!)

My problem with his program is why oh why he has to pick Gerard Butler's version... by FAR the WORST Phantom ever, he sound like a truck driver at the pub.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to the medalists, they all looked so happy!!! And a platinum medal to the Spanish audience, which was fantastic, supporting every skater!!!

I was very happy for Fernandez winning the silver medal in front of the home audience, he surely had an extra pressure from competing at home.

Hanyu showed everyone that he deserved his place at GPF...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love both Javi and Yuzuru, but those who say Javi should have won are completely forgetting his SP where he fell on his 4s, then did 2z+3t and just eked out 3a. The only man who skated a completely clean SP was Voronov. Machida stepped out of his quad combo, Hanyu fell on the 3t of his lutz combo, all three of Kovtun's jump passes were sloppy, and Mura fell on his 4t.

In the FS, Hanyu fell on his 3z, but Javi singled his lutz. Voronov again skated a near-clean FS. Mura's FS was an improvement over his SP, but he singled the loop and didn't complete his two-jump sequence. Kovtun doubled his first quad attempt and the rest of his program fizzled into mediocrity, and Machida completely unwound after falling on his first quad and singling his 3a.

Sure Hanyu fell in both programs, but in both cases it was at the end of the program, and what he did before the fall in each case was just superb. Javi was a mess in the SP but spectacular in the FS. Hanyu was truly a deserving winner, and in his interview, he noted that he was skating better but it was not perfect.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I loved Hanyu 3A-1lo-3S

That loop after 3A is amazing from him, so much length and flow :biggrin:

well all his jumps looked amazing besides this 3lz, loved this 4S too

Rissa

Record Breaker
It's wayyyyy too overworked. And has little to do with POTO. I frankly prefer understated outfits but that's a gaudy costume even if the design looks kinda neat.

:laugh: Frankly, I don't get how anyone can be a fan of figure skating and be bothered by gaudy costumes; to me, the sparklier the better and 'understated' usually is another word for 'no imagination', lol. I really go for the so-called overwrought costumes and the greatest on-ice sartorial enemy of mine is what Javier was wearing during his SP, heh. And in Hanyu's particular case, the costume always emphasized the lines of his body perfectly, which is not always the case on figure skaters. I really appreciate that.

I liked Yuzu's first costume...but my sister says if it doesn't have sequins and bling, how can it be a figure skating costume?:biggrin:

In the past, my mother said the very same thing about quite a few skaters.:laugh: I must come from her and your sister's school of thought.

My problem with his program is why oh why he has to pick Gerard Butler's version... by FAR the WORST Phantom ever, he sound like a truck driver at the pub.

So much this!

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice
Did she do his Romeo and Juliet? Oh wait.. Don't tell me this is Johnny's work?

No, no. I don't think Yuzuru's mother has been making his costumes at all after season 2011/2012, to be honest. I'm not sure about the Notre Dame one, but she didn't do the two PW costumes, and the Romeo and Juliet costume was designed by Johnny and put together by the seamstress Johnny usually works with (I forgot her name). This season he got them done by a professional costume maker in Japan.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I can tell you a few reasons why I don't much like Kovtun.

Ah, thank you very much for your point of view. I don't really mind egocentrism from sportsmen and performers, but it certainly doesn't endear people to him. And I agree, the lack of self-awareness as to his own skill is more than little off-putting.

About the whole Kovtun thing, I really don't like all the hate he's getting. If you don't like his skating style, that's fine by me, you can dislike him, but why all the, and I use this word very seriously, hate?

I believe I was the one who started the discussion (a puzzled newcomer asking what was wrong with Kovtun because I found him no worse than many others on ice) but actually what I got from people wasn't "hate" but rather "strong dislike". "Hate" is "I wish he broke his leg" type of comments, "strong dislike" is "Ugh, anybody but Kovtun for the podium." Just the impression I was getting.

And I do not think it should be possible for a skater to get anywhere near a WR if they fall.

Huh?

World Record is not a some sublime impression one gets. It's a RECORD. Like in all sports, it's a set of numbers. If someone's content is high enough despite the fall, then their numbers will reflect that. How can someone not be "allowed" to get anywhere near a set of numbers? So if a middle-player falls on a 2A, he should be punished a certain way, but if a top-player falls on a 2A in a program that gets him near or beyond WR, he should be punished harsher so that he wouldn't get near the WR? Or what?

Last edited:

Florencito

Medalist
Hanyu's latest fp costumes are just fugly. Even though after last season's monstrosity the standards took a hit :hopelessness:

Kovtun: 'Oh, you naughty boys...'
Trankov: 'Our gay boys'

Spasibo! As Google translator was useless I googled Kovtun's last word and some quite weird images showed up, didn't know what to think :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't speak very much in this forum instead I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It was very very funny to see how you hated Hanyu, whereas one of your fav US boy said Hanyu was his fav skater *can't stop smiling
(Maybe he has a bad taste to pick such a sloppy, over-scored skater as his fav - though I see this differently: he's actually one of the US male skaters I really like, AND, I appreciate/trust his taste)

Josh can like whoever he likes. Plushy takes way too many photos with Putin for my taste but I still love Plushy. I can't stand Johnny and yet Max and Jason like him. They're my favourites; but their favourites do not have to be my favourites too.

I see that Hanyu is now at the point where he is apparently above all criticism. *shakes head*

Florencito

Medalist
Ah, thank you very much for your point of view. I don't really mind egocentrism from sportsmen and performers, but it certainly doesn't endear people to him. And I agree, the lack of self-awareness as to his own skill is more than little off-putting.

I believe I was the one who started the discussion (a puzzled newcomer asking what was wrong with Kovtun because I found him no worse than many others on ice) but actually what I got from people wasn't "hate" but rather "strong dislike". "Hate" is "I wish he broke his leg" type of comments, "strong dislike" is "Ugh, anybody but Kovtun for the podium." Just the impression I was getting.

I started the Kovtun thing. I just said that I wanted him to do well cause a lot of people disliked him and in an Italian forum they even hate him for being an homophobe and insulting Daisuke (stuff that I didn't believe it to be true back then and I still don't know until somebody finally provides some evidence).

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Josh can like whoever he likes. Plushy takes way too many photos with Putin for my taste but I still love Plushy. I can't stand Johnny and yet Max and Jason like him. They're my favourites; but their favourites do not have to be my favourites too.

I see that Hanyu is now at the point where he is apparently above all criticism. *shakes head*

its not true that he is above all criticism, his biggest critic is himself, so many of his fans mentions he need to prove this and that, thats why he works hard as every other skater. its just that whenever you get the chance you keep crushing him, focusing only on negative things, even if you dont like his skating in general
there are still so many fine qualities about him both on and off ice and i never saw you mention, praise , acknowledge any one of those qualities

yes he fell on long and yes it should have affected his PE, but how much? max they gave you is 10 and there are 13 element for free, lets assume each element get 10/13 pts equals 0.77 pts and he failed to do 1, he got 9.39 for that, minus 0.77, worst case take 1 pts still have more than 8 pts, in total he would get 2 pts less than he got ( decreasing more wouldnt make sense cause everything else was flawless) it would still be close to WR,

yay

On the Ice

Because at this point it's not the matter of preferences. One needs to be a fan of figure skating in the first place to admit that it was exceptionally good. Lots of people, who don't like Hanyu, did that. All that came from you was whining about him not being penalized enough for the fall. Huh?

Last edited:

sajoya

On the Ice

Oh my god, I now see why the resentment! :eek: Did Yuzuru personally assaulted you? Because if he did, as his fans we apologize for his irrational behavior. Bad Yuzuru! Bad! :rolleye:

But joking aside, your comments towards Yuzuru is now at a point where it's plain bitterness. I know many people here are also not into Yuzuru's skating, but at least their criticism towards him is in a respectful and professional manner. Damn, you might as well just say you hate him as a person :laugh: