2015 Worlds Pairs Short Program March 25 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Pairs Short Program March 25

Alba

Record Breaker
The short is good but not incredible or in another league to everyone else.

The thing with their short is that we've already seen it from B&S in 2002, and it was a masterpiece. ;)

T/M did indeed get lower PCS than the other pairs, but I'd have more of a gap. As in, I'd have S/H, K/S, P/T, P/Z very close together, with T/M ~3 points back. But, again, D/R. So I don't know what to say.

I agree. But the problem is that where do you put them? Perhaps same as S&K USA, but you can't put them lower.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
She can't really help her body type. We would all love to be long legged russian ladies I'm sure but most of us aren't.

And I don't think that many women have a reliable triple lutz and don't end up in singles. I'd be in singles if I had a reliable triple lutz.
Agreed. As much as I'm not D/R's fan... let's focus on the skating, shall we, instead of skaters' looks. (That goes for Hao Zhang too).

They were not perfect there either.
How about Skate America? :love: That was perfection.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yeah..sorry. I'm tired.

I think M/D should have beaten G/G in 94 even if that's not what I want in my heart.

For me too M&D program was the best. It really was orange and apples though, and G&G were always the favorites of the judges, media etc.

Alba

Record Breaker
D/R just don't do it for me - she's too small and dumpy for him. There are lots of women who do triple lutz - he should get another partner - someone who can bring some artistry to their skating! Their pcs is a joke.

Marchei would've been great for him. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Agreed. As much as I'm not D/R's fan... let's focus on the skating, shall we, instead of skaters' looks. (That goes for Hao Zhang too).
Calling her dumpy seemed unnecessary to me. Dumpy means not in shape and I don't think anyone can say she's not in shape. I do wish she was more elegant on the ice though.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Have to say I'll always be a G/G fan and I didn't like Artur D. But on that day they were better technically by a lot. I did love G/G Spanish short though and Moonlight Sonata long. I guess it worked out. D. got his second gold in the end. Even though the second girl couldn't do a death spiral if her life depended on it.

Alba

Record Breaker

It's not about her look, as in been pretty or not. It's about the streched leg, body position/posture, arm movements and free leg. All these little things that matters.
Irina got less marks in artistic impression 100 times because of that, and if you listen to US commentary everytime they would comment on that. Bezic, If I'm not mistaken always pointing that out, but also others like Button.

How about Skate America? :love: That was perfection.

Absolutely. That was their best skate.:thumbsup:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree. But the problem is that where do you put them? Perhaps same as S&K USA, but you can't put them lower.
I'd give T/M their 31 PCS, like they have now (or perhaps 30 but with bigger GOE on the elements; overall score remains the same). But I'd have S/H at 34. T/M weren't overscored, per se (in light of the hyper-inflated Worlds); S/H were just underscored.

T/M's placement was definitely correct. Regardless of the program, it would be highway robbery to drop them (and their marvelous throw, twist, jumps, ect.) behind a stutter-y S/K. If anything, S/K's 30 PCS... :slink: Okay, I should stop now. We had a marvelous pairs competition, and a few question marks in the judging shouldn't mar that.

It's not about her look, as in been pretty or not. It's about the streched leg, body position/posture, arm movements and free leg. All these little things that matters.
Irina got less marks in artistic impression 100 times because of that, and if you listen to US commentary everytime they would comment on that. Bezic, If I'm not mistaken always pointing that out, but also others like Button.
I agree. But I don't think the original poster should've called her "dumpy."

Last edited:

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
Pang Tong were great! Beautiful music and amazing choreography done by a mature pair. I got goose pimples and teary eyes.
D/R are stronger in technic elements than anyone, but their perfomance is not touching for me. Anyway they wil win but the winner of hearts is defintley P/T.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I always liked Irina and Midori Ito. It never mattered to me that they had short legs. They were plucky.

I think it's different when you say someone doesn't maximize what they have and saying "this person shouldn't be skating because they aren't blessed with the right figure"

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
K/S twist was not crashy tonight. Still not the best among the top 6 but far from what sometimes they have. HOWEVER, K/S should have been much closer in PCS to P/T. In what world, D/R deserve higher PCS than K/S I just do not know. I guess had they been in the last group, they could have got 1 point bump. Anyway, this team just never catch a break. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. This is too close to call. Who would have thought. One mistake from D/R and somebody could sneak in.

I hear you but this explains why Chock an dBates scored so well in pcs and tes in dance. It's skating. None of us will agree or not all of us. Really happy for the Americans they are doing so well so far in dance and pairs. Not sure they deserve it but I am getting a good feeling this will be Team USA world's.

noidont

Final Flight
Just got back from the arena. D/R were pretty fantastic. They look really good, though I like the team to begin with. I don't think they are unartistic. They are the standard athletic NA pair albeit the best one to date, probably.
S/H, the best team other than D/R for me. Crowd loved it. The only time tonight the crowd clapped along. They could sell the program better with more relaxedness though.
I would also rank K/S above P/T, but it's overall fair considering home advantage. Kavaguti looked totally pissed in the KC. Not sure why.

Teams that look worse live than on video: I/M, very slow and tentative, no fluidity, probably nerves, probably something else, but they were almost walking at the end of the step sequence. D/F, I thought they would look better for some reason, but they lack extension and unison, looked very bland, but she seems to have an Alionaness in her. P/Z, even the Chinese crowd didn't get their program and didn't like them as much as the other two teams. There is no chemistry and not enough energy. Also the Germans. As far as I can tell Vartmann is actually a great pairs skater, Van Cleave, easily the worst of the night. Couldn't land a single 3T in warmup. No wonder she is splitting.

Oh and Morozov is looking thin and very hot, in case anyone cares.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Im happy I was watching all of the comps at that time with our local commentators:love:

sbaker

On the Ice
Meghan is the Courtney Hicks of Pairs... Not everyone's cup of tea, but both have improved their PCS. Being balletic can be really hard if you're not trained young/a natural dancer. They skate to their strengths... Though I agree that D/R's SP could be better, I do like their FS.

noidont

Final Flight
Duhamel and Radford skated far apart from each other throughout the program and created a lot of active space between them. The height/size difference therefore was not so obvious. Plus the powerful music, which I don't much care for, but certainly works in their favor. They will win this championship easy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pang and Tong were and are magical thoug a bit in the "traditional" sense. Ditto for K and S - they should get a little more credit especially CH and Performance. It is interesting about D and R - they skate more powerful like Valova and VAsiliev or ROdina and Zaitzev - I looked these skaters up and they still did well artistically - they aren't traditional and that isn't always bad. If they were overly balletic I am sure we would have some people stereotyoing Eric's sexual orientation. D and R are different but not necessarily unartistic or boring. I agree we shouldn't judge so much on appearance though we do - our eyes are attracted to certain things and we also don't iike some stuff - the Chinese pairs for example make me feel a little uncomfortable usually the men something about some of their faces and size/body types with the girls but I hold no grudges. The Chinese do wonderful big tricks (though that triple flip from S H though saved seemed sketch! and have a wonderful style especially P and T who have such a lyrical feel and lovely "lilt" if I can call it that.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Body type isn't an issue to me at all. Duhamel isn't my favorite pairs lady, but she's amazingly fit and is landing those elements like other pair skaters wish they could. I don't agree with their PCS but her body type has nothing to do with it.