2016 Cup of China Mens SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Mens SP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe it's time for a free Max's pants petition on thechange.org . I don't agree with the tights rule. If they let them do ballet programs they should be allowed to wear tights. Is this because some people were showing um..too much? in their tights?

Yes, I think that is why the rule came into force.

The silly part for me is that Max's pants fall into a grey area. They're too tight to be pants, but they're not tights. They're leggings. And maybe that's why he only gets a couple of judges press the button. Oh well. Maybe the judges are just jealous of how good they make his rear end look.

:bed: :bed: goodnight!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
perhaps you should look at Voronov's triple loop, which already has a small BV so cannot give that many points even when flawless, and how he performed it...

if that is not enough because he did perform his combo and axel better, then look at the protocols, Voronov got NADA level 4s... so it does add up... Patrick had 3 level 4s and one level 3 (with good GOE)..

PCS wise, I hope I don't need to explain why Patrick deserves higher scores than anybody in this competition.

Yes, it's Patrick so a hand down is just a 'silly mistake' and 0 ... 1 ... all the same thing. Except not really but considering it's not Patrick who is getting the short end of the stick, it doesn't matter?

It's not even the case of a little over-scoring because the placements are not right. Voronov at least should have been ahead.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
perhaps you should look at Voronov's triple loop, which already has a small BV so cannot give that many points even when flawless, and how he performed it...
if that is not enough because he did perform his combo and axel better, then look the protocols, Voronov got NADA level 4s... so it does add up... Patrick had 3 level 4s and one level 3 (with good GOE)..

PCS wise, I hope I don't need to explain why Patrick deserves higher scores than anybody in this competition.

You are very good at trying to derail the argument but no can do. I only care about what was done and how it was scored and not what could have been. Patrick has a tiny lead over Voronov and his combo should have gotten 0 GOE with that hand down. That takes his lead over Voronov from 0.48 to just 0.08. And yeah, Patrick was propped up here in the PCS too (Voronov got low-balled) and by more than just that 0.08.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

if that is not enough because he did perform his combo and axel better, then look at the protocols, Voronov got NADA level 4s... so it does add up... Patrick had 3 level 4s and one level 3 (with good GOE)..

Patrick's GOEs are ridiculous to be honest: i love Patrick skating, and this is my favourite program from him, but his spins are less than memorable, those +3 are outrageous.

Even with two falls in the free skate Patrick will still grab his silver medal, that is why i don't even care so much about men's figure skating. It's just ladies figure skating in the Yuna era: even with a better jumping technique and every jump landed you can't beat a messy Patrick Chan, unless you humiliate his TES like Jin or Daniel did here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
So it seems almost unlikely that he gets in. That's really a shame.

Well, actually, I'd say the most likely result of NHK is 1. Hanyu, 2. Jason Brown or Nathan Chen -- if that happens, then Boyang makes the GPF (assuming he wins here, still has to do that...). But we all know that what is "likely" in the Men's event often does not come to pass.

bestolen

Rinkside
He has to worry about Jason getting bronze at NHK, too.

Two of the judges gave him a costume violation (well I assume it was for his pants). Probably under the men-are-supposed-to-wear-pants-not-tights rule and I guess they consier him tights? He doesn't lose points though: he on;y loses point if a majority of judges press the button.

I already think Jason will be into final.
Boyang works hard for 6th spot.

mcq

Record Breaker
To be fair Jin skated pretty simplified program since SA , they reduced his transitions/steps it seems they were too difficult for at this stage, pcs he got are pretty much reasonable to me.

Same. I dont know why people complain about Jin's PCS. He is not a 40+ PCS skater yet in my opinion 39 is fair score for him. If anything his mark last season has been a bit generous. He improved, yes, but he should not get high PCS yet. Denis Ten and Rippon got 41-42 ish for SP and I don't think his component is on par with them yet. also, friendly reminder that Takahito Mura who clearly has better presentation and SS than Jin also score 39 pts. :slink:

treeloving

Medalist
Is there any realistic ways (By realistic I means not something like Yuzuru end up in 7th place at NHK) that both Boyang and Nathan will qualify for GPF. The quad battle will be so epic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm i was telling you about voronov not getting his levels.. that's concrete facts.. not a what could have been...
You are very good at trying to derail the argument but no can do. I only care about what was done and how it was scored and not what could have been. Patrick has a tiny lead over Voronov and his combo should have gotten 0 GOE with that hand down. That takes his lead over Voronov from 0.48 to just 0.08. And yeah, Patrick was propped up here in the PCS too (Voronov got low-balled) and by more than just that 0.08.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick's GOEs are ridiculous to be honest: i love Patrick skating, and this is my favourite program from him, but his spins are less than memorable, those +3 are outrageous.

Even with two falls in the free skate Patrick will still grab his silver medal, that is why i don't even care so much about men's figure skating. It's just ladies figure skating in the Yuna era: even with a better jumping technique and every jump landed you can't beat a messy Patrick Chan, unless you humiliate his TES like Jin or Daniel did here.
his spins are textbook classic positions... I appreciate that over biellmans, buttspins and donuts ... just my taste... for the rest of your comment, i will just look at what truly happens in the LP

da96103

Record Breaker
Is there any realistic ways (By realistic I means not something like Yuzuru end up in 7th place at NHK) that both Boyang and Nathan will qualify for GPF. The quad battle will be so epic.

You want both Nathan and Boyang to be in GPF?

Then Boyang needs to win COC getting positions 1-5.

Nathan needs to win NHK getting positions 1-4.

If Nathan is placed 2nd, getting positions 2-4. Then Bychenko must not placed higher than 3rd, and Jason must not placed higher than 4th.
If Jason gets 4th and Nathan gets 2nd at NHK, then they both would be in tiebreak for the 6th slot.

If the above is fulfilled, you will get

Shoma, Javier, Patrick, Boyang, Yuzuru and Nathan in GPF.

In summary, in NHK, if you want Nathan to qualify for GPF,
if Jason places 3rd, Nathan must win.
if Jason places 4th, Nathan can get 2nd for tiebreak.
if Jason places 5th, Nathan qualifies direct by being 2nd
Bychenko and Jason must not get 1st or 2nd.

mcq

Record Breaker

Jason Brown finishing below 4th, Nathan Chen finishing 1st or 2nd, Boyang winning CoC and Bychenko finishing below 3rd.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
ermmm i was telling you about voronov not getting his levels.. that's concrete facts.. not a what could have been...

It is a what could have been.

Voronov got scored for what he delivered. He got levels 3 so he got scored for them.
Not to mention, if Chan delivered his program cleanly, Voronov wouldn't have stood a chance anyway. Except he didn't. What matters is what he did do, both of them and that is the only thing that's being scored, or over-scored in Chan's case.

Not a single skater is obliged to think of a cushion for Chan's over-scoring in advance. Or maybe they are, considering.

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
Same. I dont know why people complain about Jin's PCS. He is not a 40+ PCS skater yet in my opinion 39 is fair score for him. If anything his mark last season has been a bit generous. He improved, yes, but he should not get high PCS yet. Denis Ten and Rippon got 41-42 ish for SP and I don't think his component is on par with them yet. also, friendly reminder that Takahito Mura who clearly has better presentation and SS than Jin also score 39 pts. :slink:

If you wanna compare from different GPs, Mr precious Uno with crossover after crossover got 44. Waving your hands doesn't mean you're interpreting the music, you know. What a joke.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's like back in school! I wonder if I would've done better at maths with a figure skating reference.

mcq

Record Breaker
If you wanna compare from different GPs, Mr precious Uno with crossover after crossover got 44. Waving your hands doesn't mean you're interpreting the music, you know. What a joke.

Just because Uno is scored generously doesn't mean Boyang automatically have to be scored 41-42 PCS? Transition is not only about the amount of one and two-foot skating, but also the execution? Is the edge quality good, does it have good flow, can he maintain good speed when performing tricky transition etc. Though I agree Shoma is generously marked in the TR score I would not give Jin 40 PCS yet. His skating skill has improved but overall his speed and edge quality is still average to me. 39 is not an unfair score.

UnChosen

On the Ice

PCS despite having five categories are really all about skating skills only. I kind of get the reasoning behind it but in practice it just encourages refined but dead and unoriginal skating.

qwertyskates

Medalist
To sum up the arguments on this thread, if my favourite skater gets overscored, that's ok, but if another skater gets overscored, that's NOT ok. And vice versa. ;)

apple123

On the Ice
Just because Uno is scored generously doesn't mean Boyang automatically have to be scored 41-42 PCS? Transition is not only about the amount of one and two-foot skating, but also the execution? Is the edge quality good, does it have good flow, can he maintain good speed when performing tricky transition etc. Though I agree Shoma is generously marked in the TR score I would not give Jin 40 PCS yet. His skating skill has improved but overall his speed and edge quality is still average to me. 39 is not an unfair score.
What a double standard! You can be rewarded without doing the real work and others can't even they have done much more. And for the record, Jin has great speed tonight and a very memorable performance. I think he deserves more than 40 for PCS!

apple123

On the Ice
PCS despite having five categories are really all about skating skills only. I kind of get the reasoning behind it but in practice it just encourages refined but dead and unoriginal skating.

I thought twofoot skating and excessive crossover are exactly bad skating skills. So how come Mr Uno is exceptional.

Last edited: