2021 Skate Canada: Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Free Dance

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I’m pleased L/L managed to stay in 6th place but what a shame for F/G. Poor S/N with their fall too. I love them and want them to have better programmes! D/S and Green/Parsons are rising so fast. I would have expected L/L and C/P to be higher than them given their long-term partnerships and having more senior experience. Fascinating to see how the next quad shapes up.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Live from the rink—

(Must not talk about Green & Parsons. Must not talk about Green & Parsons. Must not…)

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one standing, though!
Please hang out here with us where we can talk about how great Green/Parsons are. I'm so happy to see them getting scores and placements worthy of their skills...now if they can get higher gosh darn levels.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Italy's 🇮🇹 Guignard/Fabbri #SCI21 FD (121.23/200.05) "It wasn't super easy to compete here because of jet lag. Tonight it was better than yesterday and more rewarding. The crowd was really nice and it was nice to finally perform in front of people."

Canada's 🇨🇦 Gilles/Poirier #SCI21 FD (125.32/210.97) "Paul and I are very proud of what we did. It wasn't our best skate but we had nerves as we aren't used to skating last. Our overall experience is it was nice to be with other competitors and enjoy the sport."

skatemd1

On the Ice
Please hang out here with us where we can talk about how great Green/Parsons are. I'm so happy to see them getting scores and placements worthy of their skills...now if they can get higher gosh darn levels.
They are now by far my favorite team this year. Wow. Absolutely mesmerizing. Their skills, artistry and originality are off the charts. Just wow.

rain

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed that from Piper and Paul. I think it will continue to grow the way Both Sides Now did. There is one lift where she ends up on his back which I really hope they change!
Yes, I was hoping they would have changed it from Autumn Classic. I like the first part where she is standing on his knee with her leg straight up (though the entry needs to be smoothed out a bit), but her clinging to his back in that position is not aesthetically pleasing, though Paul's steadiness on one foot is impressive. But she needs to do something other than hug him from behind.

They said in interviews after that they made some mistakes (which you could see in some reduced levels), but I too think that bodes really well for them if they're already scoring this well without having maxed this dance out yet.

rain

Record Breaker
Green/Parsons have one of the best free dances of the season and skate it to perfection and are deservedly moving up rapidly on the strength of it.

Davis/Smolkin: I just can't with the wanna-be Tessa and Scott Moulin Rouge. Just, no. Most overscored award, by a mile. Them outscoring Lajoie/Lagha was a travesty.

Speaking of La/La, I thought they were terrific here. I was not a big fan of their RD, which I found generic, but I thought this was great and different, definitely makes them stand out. I thought they were lowballed through this event as a whole.

I'm enjoying Smart/Diaz's dance more as the season goes.

I wish I enjoyed Guinard/Fabri, but I don't. I find them utterly generic and forgettable. Their material is always a miss for me. I loved their rotational lift, and slide, but absolutely nothing else stood out.

Piper and Paul have never looked stronger. Their speed is amazing, they are performers par excellence. I'd like to see them tweak a couple of the lifts, as said before. They go into the one-foot step with so much speed. So many highlights, including the twizzles, which are perfection, set to exactly the right place in the music, the slide. I love all the work they do in hold, skating close together. I think they should change their cheap-looking costumes in the RD, but the ones for the FD here are beautiful.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Just rewatched Piper and Paul! I actually cried. I prefer them more quirky, but in the grander scheme of things, say this is their last season, this will be a tearjerking and very appropriate farewell. It's been a long and winding road for them, but their made it up the greasy pole. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Weeelll I did name Han Cong as president as he's a pairs skater who does throws, so maybe Jean Luc and Marco can be co-vice presidents. Shoma can be Treasurer because he's precious :laugh2:
This is brilliant! All power to the Small but Mighty Club!
I love that clip from the GPF in 2018 where Marco and Jean Luc hop up on the chairs for a moment before the photos at the press conference so they can be taller than the other guys for once :laugh:
I'll see if I can track it down...

ETA: found it: https://youtu.be/OT33CB4pB6A?t=62

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Are they gonna keep skating for another quadrennial?
I think it's unlikely G/F will continue post-2022. They have stated in the past that they achieved everything they really wanted in the sport (win GP medals, make GPF, win Euros medal, go to Olys) and that they want to start a family. I do wonder if they might take a couple of years off and then think about a comeback for 2026, as it's their home Olympics?