Arena Hotel now open for booking | Golden Skate

Arena Hotel now open for booking

noskates

Record Breaker
For anyone who has booked a room at the Arena Hotel - do yourself a favor and read the Yelp reviews. We have cancelled our reservations and are looking at hotels near the airport. They're a little bit pricier but serve breakfast and you don't have to share your room with cockroaches or unclean bathrooms.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I'd be afraid of arriving and not even having a room. Wonder if it's legal to have a mixed use homeless shelter/hotel 🤷🏻‍♀️

There's a follow up article that indicates as of December nothing had been done. So I expect you won't see a "homeless shelter"

But yes, it would probably been legal. I know there are "residential hotels" near me that have agencies pay to house homeless there.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Someone on the other forum accused me of fear-mongering. I believe forewarned is forearmed so I'm trying to alert anyone with a reservation in case this gives them pause and they want to check it out (which I would do). One of the December 2022 reviews on TripAdvisor said the hotel is already a homeless shelter. That's what prompted me to Google the situation in the first place.

noskates

Record Breaker
i've read the same reviews as BeeBee51 and we have cancelled our reservation and rebooked at a hotel near the airport. It's not quite as convenient but it's clean, they serve breakfast and we don't have to step over homeless people to get in the door. I believe the Arena Hotel changed hands a few years ago. It's too bad because it was a great place to stay when attending a skating competition. We've stayed there during Nationals and Worlds. If anyone is still questioning this - check out Yelp.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Next door to the Arena Hotel there used to be a CVS Pharmacy. That CVS closed in December 2022 @CoyoteChris and others staying in that area.
I was wondering about that.....it was obvious that the whole area was going down hill for quite awhile and as we all know, many walgreens in the area had to close......this will be the last time I will go.....Same thing is happening in Spokane, seattle and portland

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh man poor Chris.
Sorry...I shouldnt laugh......In Cleveland, we litterally had to step over homeless people to get to the Arena....in Spokane, the govt is spending 100k and up a piece per homeless person to buy hotels and make the homeless problem go away....its a problem when I go to San Diego. Seattle and Portland are trashed.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(I read the yelp reviews, or at least 50 of them.....I would call them correct if you stay during a concert. When I check in, they ask me if there is an old people's convention in town? True story. I am sure it is being run down due to the future sale and they have clearly know about the sale for months and not told us. This and the fact that no hotel I have stayed at across this country can get anyone to work. People from India will work...they are hard workers.....I will find another drug store (the people who frequented it were sketchy the last time I was there) and probably bring a checked bag full of special needs. Sigh. Will call the whole foods store to make sure they are still there....that would be a deal breaker...

noskates

Record Breaker
Whole Foods is still there. However, the security at SAP has tightened up and you can only take in a bag that is 9"x6". We used to stop on the way to the arena and get food for dinner or lunch depending on the time. Obviously the bag restrictions are going to mess with that. I don't relish the thought of eating pizza and hot dogs for days or $18 nasty salads. Most of the good vendors don't open shop until the weekend and then they're still limited. After the last competition there we filled out questionnaires for SAP and really hit hard on the fact that the food was less than desirable. With so few attendees- compared to concerts and Sharks games - the vendors don't feel it's worth their while to open.