2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
It's called Using PCS as placement markers, just as the Presentation Marks did the same thing back in the days of 6.0.

Nice passive-aggressive diss of those here who disagree with the scores and, I'm guessing, with your assessment.

No, I don't have a problem with those who disagree with me, I have a problem with some posts that are overly critical towards any skater. However you have to admit that recently at least half of all over-the-top negativity is directed towards the Russians. Figure skating is primarily a sport. If someone does significantly more technically they should do well. However if all other things are equal then who has the best presentation should win.

whatif

Medalist
I still don't get the Satoko PCS demands here. She certainly has good SS and CH, but let's not confuse "cute" with "magic".

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 191.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 186.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 181.75 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 174.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Rika HONGO (JPN) - 171.47 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 164.15 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 156.22 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 146.80 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 143.43 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 142.25 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 139.67 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 136.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

JoubertFan

Spectator
I still don't get the Satoko PCS demands here. She certainly has good SS and CH, but let's not confuse "cute" with "magic".

I agree. She has many good qualities PCS-wise, but for example, I'm not seeing being better at PE and IN than Ashley.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No, I don't have a problem with those who disagree with me, I have a problem with some posts that are overly critical towards any skater. However you have to admit that recently at least half of all over-the-top negativity is directed towards the Russians. Figure skating is primarily a sport. If someone does significantly more technically they should do well. However if all other things are equal then who has the best presentation should win.

Well the Russians are dominating right now, so they have a lot of attention paid to them. What do you consider "over-the-top" criticism? I've seen both credit and criticsm being given where they're due.

BounceAround

On the Ice
I think the URs on the solo jumps can and will be fixed. It's the triple toe that's always going to be the question mark. The ! on the flip never happened until this season which is kind of strange, and not even one very flip attempt.

Perhaps the judges are willing to be strict now that they have the option of giving a "!" instead of a full "e"? I think that many skaters have an unclear or slightly wrong edge on either the flip or lutz and haven't been called on it in the past.

I don't think it was because of the Technical Controller. I remember that when he called Four Continents in 2012, many girls that were known to have severe flutzes suddenly got no calls. It might have been his assistants.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based on what Chapis said, I guess she should use less lipstick in competitions and get better costumes.

Would that help her look less "piggish?" Seriously, it is out of bounds to criticize someone's lips or their face. It's like saying someone has a big nose. A skater can change her costume but she can't change her face.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is anyone else watching the medal ceremonies?

It looks like Max was in the shower then someone just went "MAX! VC TIME!". His hair is all slicked back. It doesn't look too bad.

NaVi

Medalist
Am I the only one who DOESN'T find Anna beautiful? To me, she looks a little piggish. Lips almost too big in a clown-like way.

Women pay big money for those kind of lips...

And personally, I think Pogo (but with makeup and everything else) looks like a classic beauty... though I think she's going to have problems with aging considering how mature she looks now... she reminds me of Oksana Baiul(they're both of Ukrainian ancestry) who aged horribly(though she put her body though a lot).

Icey

Record Breaker
All three of the medalists have stunning faces. Anna and Ashley seem to be damaging their hair by doing too much bleaching.

Alba

Record Breaker
Pogo's PCS being more than 2.5 points higher than Ashley's is a freaking joke.

I know. I had the same feeling when I saw the PCS scores of Duhamel&Radford being equal with K&S in SA. Period.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh, goodness no! All these young people are beautiful! :yes:

I was going to agree with you Mathman.. for a few minutes there I thought I was in the Meangirl forum.... but then what do you mean Young? What about Ashley?!!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Women pay big money for those kind of lips...

And personally, I think Pogo (but with makeup and everything else) looks like a classic beauty... I think she's going to have problems with aging considering how mature she looks now... she reminds me of Oksana Baiul who aged horribly(though she put her body though a lot).

o_O Eh...Julia Lipniskaia/Kiira Korpi are what I think of when it comes to classic beauties. Pogo's arrangement of features are less conventional.

But Pogo seems to be many people's cup of tea given the amount of attention she gets for her looks.

thoakun

Final Flight
You're thinking Rika Hongo, who has the same coach as Suzuki (Hiroshi Nagakubo). I believe Miyahara is coached by Mie Hamada.
I read an article about Satoko and Mie a few years a go, in which Mie said that Satoko was never the most talented student in her class but she never gave up. She would feel very sad if she had to miss skating just for a day. So Satoko has worked really hard to build herself up the ladder. Maybe even that poise and musicality were the results of dedication.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based on what Chapis said, I guess she should use less lipstick in competitions and get better costumes.

You do realize that she actually put on a pair of knife boots and skated tonight. Maybe some of that is relevant to discuss instead of just her looks :yes:

erasona

Rinkside
I think you're all missing the MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT HAPPENED IN THE WHOLE GRAND PRIX.

Brooklee was eighth! GO BROOKLEE! :yay:

I agree with this! I was at Skate America, and although Brooklee didn't do super well, I was and am taken by her skating. Aside from the falls, what is wrong with her skating? I hope she gets better and better this season!!