2014 NHK Trophy Mens Short Program 11/28 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Mens Short Program 11/28

elee63

Final Flight
Agreed. Jeremy is an amazing skater, he's one of my favorites too, just love his expressions on ice. If only he could add a quad in his short and maybe one more (in addition to the one he already has planned) in the long. No quad in the short program really just kills the score, we all know he's capable of doing better.

And Joanne was kindly telling us that if the kid wants to move up in world rankings, that he's going to have to do things like the quad. If only she'd looked carefully enough at her notes to see that the kid was 29, and on his way out..

krispy

Rinkside
Did you know skaters get points for doing other stuff than just jumps?
No, I thought not.

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear what Yuzuru did that Jeremy didn't? Jeremy spins were better and its not like he's without transitions or has poor skating skills...

Last edited:

foruiz

Final Flight
And Joanne was kindly telling us that if the kid wants to move up in world rankings, that he's going to have to do things like the quad. If only she'd looked carefully enough at her notes to see that the kid was 29, and on his way out..

:agree::laugh2:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
jumps
Abbott : 27.39
Hanyu :20. 05

other elements
Abbott 14.23
Hanyu: 16. 85

1.22 pts difference for PCS (considering overall skating, CH,IN, TR seems fair) plus -1 for fall, thats how hanyu 3pts behind jeremy :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Chopin program is really beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't think Yuzu is mentally prepared to compete (not only the CoC accident, but also the pressure of the GPF). I hope POTO will look better tomorrow. He can do it, 8 points difference is nothing for him if he has an almost clean program.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah I'm still waiting to hear what Yuzuru did that Jeremy didn't? Jeremy spins were better and its not like he's without transitions or has poor skating skills...

Transitions and choreography mostly.

Clean program with no quad isn't the same thing as a non-clean program with a quad. Etc etc.

Hanyu was 5th, this wasn't fair scoring in your opinion? Yawnity yawn. The slow-mo didn't even have the 4T underrotated to me, whatever.

Saying Jeremy had better spins just makes it seem like you have no clue about levels.

Last edited:

krispy

Rinkside
Transitions and choreography mostly.

Clean program with no quad isn't the same thing as a non-clean program with a quad. Etc etc.

Hanyu was 5th, this wasn't fair scoring in your opinion? Yawnity yawn. The slow-mo didn't even have the 4T underrotated to me, whatever.

Saying Jeremy had better spins just makes it seem like you have no clue about levels.
program with a quad yes... but Hanyu didn't not even a rotated one, or a 3/3

TuTU9678

On the Ice
uhhmmm... heres the logic whatever Hanyu did in the past should not matter!!! We are comparing the performance at this event Hanyu vs other skaters. Hanyu landed botched 2 jumps vs Jeremy who had a clean skate. Hanyu had no quad since he got downgraded, no 3/3 but still is only 3+ points behind a skater who landed all his jumps. Honestly speaking if he's name is Hanyu do you think he would get that mark?

Jeremy is an amazing skater, however he simply did not have the difficulty planned. Jeremy's most difficult element was a 3F3T, and hence he is reasonably 'punished'/not rewarded as much for having such a low difficulty. In fact, Jeremy is the only one in the top 7 who did not have a quad. The fact that he's sitting in 2nd place just goes to show how much people appreciate his skating skills/expressions.

OTOH, we know that Hanyu didn't do his best today, but that is ALREADY reflected in the scores. His good 4T (in the Olympics) scored 13.16, whereas here he scored 4.2, so no, he was NOT given olympics scores. His good 3Lz3T scored 12.61 in the Olympics and only 4.5 here. The logic here is that performing a 100points program to 78% percent of its capacity should only be 3.5 points lower than performing a 81.5points program to 100% of its capacity. It's simple math!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
The scores seem ok to me (come on, Yuzu wasn't overscored...even the PCS were a little bit lower than at CoC). I'm not an expert, but how low have to be his scores so that there won't be any discussions about overscoring? :)

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Hanyu must still be feeling the sideeffects of that crash though seeing him land that insane 3A makes me think its more of a mental thing.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I've just came back from school and... What the hell? Happened? Fine, I predicted Mura first. But Jeremy second? Murakami third? Hanyu fifth? I don't know what to say.

Btw. Your comments about ski jumping made me angry a bit. :sarcasm: I understand, you guys want to watch skating but ski jumping has been my favourite sport for three years and although it is figure skating now, I stil adore the sport. It's not as bad as you think! :biggrin:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Jeremy is an amazing skater, however he simply did not have the difficulty planned. Jeremy's most difficult element was a 3F3T

I think Jeremy most difficult element was a 3A in the second half of the program, thus making almost as valuable as a quad toe.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
get Sinead O'Connor for all I care :sarcasm: just get rid of the other lady

:laugh: Now that would be interesting. :cool:

People were complaining about Joanne saying the same things all the time. Well, if Sinead O'Connor got the gig, how many times would we hear her saying "Nothing compares to you"...? :laugh:

Plus, Eurosport would have to invest in a bleep button...

I would be interested if Jenna Mccorkell came in to do some commentary.

Mmmm. Jenna. Of course, with her being from the same part of the world as me, I would love to see Jenna get the job. Not enough Northern Irish people getting voiceover jobs on British TV.

Unlike Joanne, Jenna has competed under both judging systems, so she knows from personal experience what is needed under the "new" one.

But, I've never heard her commentating before, so I don't know what she would be like. Hey, you guys might hate her as much as Joanne. Plus, our accent is kinda like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it.

At least with Sinead Kerr, we have heard her guest commentating before, so we know she is good at it.

I intend to suggest they use Mark Hanretty again instead.

As for Mark, I was surprised that a few people suggested that he was brought back, because there was quite a lot of criticism when he was in the booth the other week. But nothing like what Joanne has been getting.

Personally, I didn't really like Mark at the start, but he grew on me as the weekend went on. There again, it was his first time commentating after all, so you can forgive him for it taking a while to settle into it. But once he did, I thought he was fine. Although, he still has a long way to go to be as good as Simon, Chris and Nicky!

On balance, I'm still with Sinead Kerr.

CaroLiza_fan

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't like Mark Hanretty. And Jenna?! People bash Tara Lipinski for daring to comment on certain things, even with an OGM...so...

I haven't listened to this Joanna person yet - I'm quite pleased with the ISU stream. Thanks Hola!