2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'd give Yulia the flip with a !. Honestly, it looked like a not-quite-right lutz attempt. Not sure what to call it.

Maybe it's because she's trying to bring back the 3Lz, maybe she had a slight brain fart for a moment there, her flip edge is usually fine to my eyes but today it was a rough edge, either way she's just a itty bitty off from the gold.. but I hope Liza takes it lol

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rika second to the last?? lol..:laugh: i like her skating.. very refined, clean and not labored or all over the place or juniorish movements.. but apparently the judging on this sport seems to reward the latter.. so yeah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHo4-8Ri4WU

and her flip..very nice.. ;)

Rika's is defenitly good on the edge but wow.....what a weird "s" approach. Is that normal to snake into a jump like that? I'm not sure I've ever noticed anyone do that before.

I time stamped it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHo4-8Ri4WU#t=94

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
rika second to the last?? lol..:laugh: i like her skating.. very refined, clean and not labored or all over the place or juniorish movements.. but apparently the judging on this sport seems to reward the latter.. so yeah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHo4-8Ri4WU

and her flip..very nice.. ;)
I'll just repeat what someone else said many pages back: It makes a difference to have a lutz, even a bad one.

Also, Rika is not more refined, effortless, or mature than the other skaters. But she was a clean, I'll give you that.

jkun

Final Flight
I am a strong proponent of strictly judging correct edges for jumps but having a otherwise fine triple flip, which probably has a flat edge, get less points than a fall on a triple loop is just preposterous.. Perhaps the edge call should get a base value penalty, but the GOE should still be allowed to be positive I think..

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Because it was a Russian page, at first I thought maybe "hongo" meant mushroom in Russian. But then I went to google translate and got a different word, and also remembered that Russian doesn't have the "h" letter or sound. But what made it even funnier is that when the page is in Russian, her name is actually written out in the Roman alphabet, not Cyrillic. And it's correct. But if you scroll down to her video and hit "translate to English" you can see it switch from "Hongo" to "Mushroom" right in front of you.

????? There is a special letter "х" in Russian which sounds like "h" in Hongo in all the cases.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I am a strong proponent of strictly judging correct edges for jumps but having a otherwise fine triple flip, which probably has a flat edge, get less points than a fall on a triple loop is just preposterous.. Perhaps the edge call should get a base value penalty, but the GOE should still be allowed to be positive I think..

Personally, I like the harsh judging for edge calls and URs. It serves to point out that proper technique is more valuable than haphazardly throwing a jump with that is landed through grit and wishful thinking rather than practice and correct form.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
My emotional view is that the tech panel was biased. Positively toward Wagner, negatively toward Rika and Yulia. The other three Russians received what they deserved. Yulia should have lead - I can understand her reaction in K&C. She added the toughest combo, she skated better than CoC and TEB but the result is not there - actually it is worse. Rika still cannot get pcs - I think she made a good progress and that should be reflected. My "fair" scores for SP: Ashley 57-58, Rika 63-64, Yulia 70.

cooper

Medalist
I'll just repeat what someone else said many pages back: It makes a difference to have a lutz, even a bad one.

Also, Rika is not more refined, effortless, or mature than the other skaters. But she was a clean, I'll give you that.

i disagree.. she doesn't have a strong posture but the way she moves her body.. her hands.. it looks more effortless than any skater with the exception of ashley.. you see her movements very clearly.. it's not labored.. it is not all over the place just for the sake of choreography..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
can i ask how do you lose levels on spins?? :confused:

Here are the basic rules on spin levels.
http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/SpinLevels.html

For a complete description of requirements to receive higher Levels consult ISU Communication 1557.

Spin Levels
2 of the following Features for Level 2, 3 for Level 3, 4 for Level 4
1) Difficult Variation in basic or, in CoSp or CCoSp in Intermediate position.
2) Another Difficult Variation in a basic position which must be:
* spins in 1 position without change of foot & Flying spins- different than the 1st
* all other spins – on different foot and/or different position than the 1st
3) Difficult change of foot
4) Backward entrance/difficult variation of flying entrance/Landing on the same foot as take-off or
changing feet on landing in FSSp
5) Clear change of edge in the same basic position. (counts 1x / spin)
6) All 3 basic positions (spins with change of foot- on each foot)
7) Both directions
8) At least 8 revs. without changes in position or variation, foot or edge (CSp, SSp, LSp or difficult
USp), counts twice if repeated on another foot

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
Here are the basic rules on spin levels.
http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/SpinLevels.html

For a complete description of requirements to receive higher Levels consult ISU Communication 1557.

Spin Levels
2 of the following Features for Level 2, 3 for Level 3, 4 for Level 4
1) Difficult Variation in basic or, in CoSp or CCoSp in Intermediate position.
2) Another Difficult Variation in a basic position which must be:
* spins in 1 position without change of foot & Flying spins- different than the 1st
* all other spins – on different foot and/or different position than the 1st
3) Difficult change of foot
4) Backward entrance/difficult variation of flying entrance/Landing on the same foot as take-off or
changing feet on landing in FSSp
5) Clear change of edge in the same basic position. (counts 1x / spin)
7) Both directions
8) At least 8 revs. without changes in position or variation, foot or edge (CSp, SSp, LSp or difficult
USp), counts twice if repeated on another foot

Wow this is way too complicated for me. Could anyone explain where Julia lost levels? If it is possible to do so at all.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i thought for spins it was level 1st , position number 2nd, with the new rule that came beginning of the summer, because if it was level 4 spin she wouldnt have lost that much BV, :confused:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i thought for spins it was level 1st , position number 2nd, with the new rule that came beginning of the summer, because if it was level 4 spin she wouldnt have lost that much BV, :confused:

I'm confused too now. I deleted my post and I'm going back to sleep. :slink:

But if you are correct could you please show me where someone got a level 4 spin in an event this year. I combed thru the protocols and didn't see anyone with a CCoSp4p4. Besides...can't you only get credit for up to 3 positions in a spin?

Line 6 from the link I provided above regarding achieving levels.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
according to this Post you are right about levels-positions, when i 1st read this post i misinterpreted it, sorry :slink: but now i m more confused why she lost that BV, ahhh feel like jumps are easiest element now :laugh:
maybe one or more spin positions didnt count cause i counted 4 just now :think:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure you can only get 3 positions in any combo spin. For her it is first a Camel then she drops to Cannonball with a variation and then the change foot into her Upright which is the I-spin.

My immediate thought when I heard she got dinged on her spin was to search for the new V1 or V2 which they tack on when requirements aren't met. Nope...none there and the judges gave it all sorts of +3 GOE as usual. I'd love to know what the tech panel found because I'm missing it too.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
None of the Finn girls came close to getting the SS score that Julia got and their SS were much better.
Basically anyone with eyes can see that Julia don't deserve anything more than 6 for her SS. This "sport" needs a major overhaul. The judges need to be retrained or fired.

Oh dear and here I was thinking the Queen has the craziest fans. I never thought a skater that barely registers in my memory would have such a devoted follower.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure you can only get 3 positions in any combo spin. For her it is first a Camel then she drops to Cannonball with a variation and then the change foot into her Upright which is the I-spin.

My immediate thought when I heard she got dinged on her spin was to search for the new V1 or V2 which they tack on when requirements aren't met. Nope...none there and the judges gave it all sorts of +3 GOE as usual. I'd love to know what the tech panel found because I'm missing it too.

i thought position means different positions you get regardless of the kind-sit/layback etc) thank you for clearing that out, sorry still kinda newbie :slink: and yeah i was looking for V1 V2 too thats what makes everything more confusing