The Mrs. P baby thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Mrs. P baby thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow thoakun, thank you for being so kind! I hope I will be a good mother. :) Just wondering, do you live in Vietnam currently or you elsewhere?

Also thanks for the nice words about my writing style. I can tell you it was a LONG process to get to where I am today! :biggrin:

I love hearing about all these naming traditions. Tonto K, I didn't know about that particular southern tradition, though I lived in Kentucky for many years. I personally like the name Wallace. I think it's a really elegant name!

(Also LOL at the Draino experiment! :laugh:)

And thoakun, yes! My mother has dropped the hint that my father would perhaps like my maiden name as part of the name. I was thinking that could be doable as my madien name is also used as a first name (though usually with another name).

My mother gives such great Vietnamese name. My twin nieces Viet names are Thi An and Linh An. It makes me sad they don't use those names very much, because they're so beautiful.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Mrs. P, my biggest congrats to you and your husband on the little one you're "cooking" right now. With the kind and humorous way you keep control here at GS, I have no idea that you will be a top notch mom!
I looked up Vietnamese baby names and love Mai for cherry blossom (which I imagine are beautiful in Vietnam), and I love Trang (honored) for a boy. But this comes from a woman who took a week to name her dog!
I'll post my date of birth prediction for a slight bit early on May 30. Because brilliant people (like myself) come early on that date. :p
I wish you and the little baby inside all the best in health and enjoyment of this wonderful time!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Is there any chance if that's a he, "Sherlock" might be considered as one of the options? :eek::

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:D You strike me as a Mai through your communication. Ok, the I guess I'll now vote for SouthEast. :biggrin:

That would be Nam đông in Vietnamese. :biggrin:

South would work since my dad's a man form the South (Vietnam, that is)!

desertskates

Medalist
Eh, who needs to give North West a run for her money, anyways? All the best as your baby grows!
And thanks for giving us something to look forward to after 14-15 skating is over :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You have good taste, desertskates. Cause that's my name. :biggrin:

Lest you wonder, when I suggested Maia above, I had forgotten :bang: that your own name is Mai. Oops.
Funny how screen names get more embedded in our brains than real-life names (or at least in my brain).
I can imagine that the naming authorities ;) might think that such a similar name for Baby P is not a great idea.

Anyway ... I do like someone's suggestion above for Charlie for a girl or boy. (And I would say so even if I had never heard of the popular Mr. White.)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I just want to add my congratulations to you, Mrs P and to Mr P.
Looking forward to "welcoming" Baby P on the forum!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to Mr and Mrs P on the impending arrival of Baby P! (Just one Baby P?)

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Maybe a name after somewhere special? I know Sachin Tendulkar named his first daughter after the place he scored his maiden Test century. Everyone, I suppose, was mightily relieved that he got there in Sydney, rather than, er, Lahore... :laugh:

Oh, and by the way, impeccable timing, Mrs P. Middle of the off-season, and Baby P will hopefully be grown enough to be sleeping through by the time the GPs start.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mr and Mrs P on the impending arrival of Baby P! (Just one Baby P?)

:yay: :yay:

Maybe a name after somewhere special? I know Sachin Tendulkar named his first daughter after the place he scored his maiden Test century. Everyone, I suppose, was mightily relieved that he got there in Sydney, rather than, er, Lahore... :laugh:

Oh, and by the way, impeccable timing, Mrs P. Middle of the off-season, and Baby P will hopefully be grown enough to be sleeping through by the time the GPs start.

Thank you karne! And yes, just one Baby P for now!

I have to be honest, the figure skating season was probably not what I was thinking about when the baby was conceived. :eek::

I have done some research, if it's Vietnamese name then: Lam

In the old writing system it could be written as which mean mountain mist.
Or this which means the color indigo.

This name could be applied for both ladies and men :dance:

PS: Mrs. P's name is Mai, which is usually write like this as a lady name:
Your name refers to this flower: http://myfair.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2011/02/09/2dsc3339.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_mume

I love the name Lam. Blue is also my fav. color.

Also you guys are hard core.....I didn't expect to get a team of name researchers!

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
I think Lam is wonderful. And color indigo, that sounds like a nice, powerful meaning.
I guess we'll all find out in June!

thoakun

Final Flight
Wow thoakun, thank you for being so kind! I hope I will be a good mother. :) Just wondering, do you live in Vietnam currently or you elsewhere?

Also thanks for the nice words about my writing style. I can tell you it was a LONG process to get to where I am today! :biggrin:

I love hearing about all these naming traditions. Tonto K, I didn't know about that particular southern tradition, though I lived in Kentucky for many years. I personally like the name Wallace. I think it's a really elegant name!

(Also LOL at the Draino experiment! :laugh:)

And thoakun, yes! My mother has dropped the hint that my father would perhaps like my maiden name as part of the name. I was thinking that could be doable as my madien name is also used as a first name (though usually with another name).

My mother gives such great Vietnamese name. My twin nieces Viet names are Thi An and Linh An. It makes me sad they don't use those names very much, because they're so beautiful.

Your niece's names are very beautiful. I love the name An, but when I went to school, those whose names start with A will always be called first to answer questions in class and I'm not fond of that. Btw, I'm a Vietnamese living in Vietnam. Northern Vietnam, to be exact.

I also like the name Mai, which refers to a type of cherry blossom in Vietnam. My grandma's sister wanted to name her granddaughter Chi Mai, which means the cherry blossom branch (Chi means branch, or twig), but her father was already named Chi so that's a big no. People generally refrain from naming their kids after the names of other family members, but younger generations are not picky about that.

Lam is also a very adorable name. There is something otherworldly and sophisticated about this name, and it's so easy to pronounce. But as far as I know, Lam refers to the color of the sky, or that's what the word "lam" is often associated with in daily conversations, while indigo is a deep blue, almost violet color. I once knew a blue-eyed blond little girl named Indigo :biggrin:.

Hm, I don't know any man named Trang because it's feminine name and also my name :). It's a very popular name in early 1990s and which ever school I go to, there will be at least two other girls with the same name as mine.
Sotheast = Đông Nam in Vietnamese.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
When I check the written Kanji for Lam, there's some different ways to write it. The original meaning is the color indigo, other Kanji with the same pronounce means mountain mist. So Lam in the old writing system has different meaning i you compare to modern daily usage I suppose.

thoakun

Final Flight
When I check the written Kanji for Lam, there's some different ways to write it. The original meaning is the color indigo, other Kanji with the same pronounce means mountain mist. So Lam in the old writing system has different meaning i you compare to modern daily usage I suppose.

The most common meaning of Lam is the color blue (I'm not sure about indigo, maybe different dialect), which is used in a variety of contexts. Lam which means mountain mist is Sino-Vietnamese word, which account for 30-60% of the Vietnamese vocabulary. This type of vocabulary was originally written with Chinese characters, but is now written with the Vietnamese alphabet. Sino-Vietnamese words have a similar status to Latin-based words in English: they are used more in formal context than in every day life. Indeed, I know the usage of "Lam" as the mountain mist, but that's meaning is rarely used. Anyway, lam is a very beautiful sounding word.

To make it clearer, you can ggl the word "màu lam" (màu = color), and you'll get the color blue. If you ggl "lam khói" (khói = mist), you'll get various images of the mist hovering over the house roofs in rural areas.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Loving all the Vietnamese language discussion! Sadly, I am not that fluent, but I want to change that. I understand the language 90 percent, but havent made the leap to speak or write well.

I am called Chi Mai sometimes by my younger Vietnamese friends since Chi also mean older sister. :)

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Loving all the Vietnamese language discussion! Sadly, I am not that fluent, but I want to change that. I understand the language 90 percent, but havent made the leap to speak or write well.

I am called Chi Mai sometimes by my younger Vietnamese friends since Chi also mean older sister. :)

Older sister is chị, the dreadful falling, glottalized, short tone and the tone makes you chest heavy :laugh:. I hope I'm not adding confusion to this thread since I'm sure if I'm making any sense here :drama:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Older sister is chị, the dreadful falling, glottalized, short tone. I hope I'm not adding confusion to this thread since I'm sure if I'm making any sense here :drama:

Haha, yeah. I figured the accent marks are different. That particular accent mark (.) is the bane of my existance since I can never seem to fall down enough in my tone. :laugh: My American accent shines brightly there. :laugh2:

Part of my paranoia is that I would interverntly say the wrong thing!!!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Stupid question, Mrs. P:
- How do you pronounce Mai? Does it rhyme with the first syllable of Saigon?​