2015 World Team Trophy Ladies SP Apr 16 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Ladies SP Apr 16

andromache

Record Breaker
Missed watching the event and woke up early to check the results.

Go Gracie :cheer:. But no pressure to repeat the success in the LP...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
In past WTTs, each nation's points were given according to overall placements. But it seems like this time, you get points for each segment, much like the Olympics Team Event.

Yes, but the important thing is individual scores for my predictions! I have the top 3 skaters guessed right, just not in the right order... yet! ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes, but the important thing is individual scores for my predictions! I have the top 3 skaters guessed right, just not in the right order... yet! ;)
Huh. I just realized... how will those be scored then? Based on TSS, or based on how many points each skater earns for their team?

Had I known about this change, I probably would've done by predictions slightly differently...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Well, I was assuming the skaters are being scored by TSS. Seems like scoring it by how many points are earned for their country would lead to several ties?

CutieP

On the Ice
She tries too hard and she's OTT with the dramatic facial expressions. .

This is her style. It's not "trying hard", her facial expressions are always dramatic (in real life too). I often call it "over the top" myself, but I don't exactly mean it. Because it's very real for her. It's her personality, and if you call her ("desperate", "OTT") style "juniorish" now, you should call it so when she's 20-something. Because, guess what, it ain't gonna change!

I'd like to add that, to me, she's not "doing it". My favorite thing about Elena is exactly that "over the top" personality, which shines so genuinely through her skating. Of course it can't be everybody's "cup of tea", but I don't like it when people suggest that her style (her personality) is considered somehow inferior pointswise, like "juniorish". In reality, it has very little to do with age.

I'm thinking exactly the opposite. There are different kind of personalities. Which is great, because it makes skating and the rest of human life much more interesting. The PCS points should reflect (a big part of it) the skaters ability to transform that personality into her skating. And I think it's visible that when Elena skates her style reflects her personality. You don't even have to know her "off the ice" personality to see that.

And this takes me to the provocative bit. To the undoubtedly gorgeous and highly talented skater called Gracie Gold. I don't understand her personality. I have doubts that her personality is not the one she's skating with.

Yes, I think her SS is great, her skating looks gorgeous, but it shouldn't be enough for her PCS to top Lena's. Especially in SP where I think Lena is more at home than in her LP/FS.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
missed watching the competition live. just checked out the result and :shocked:
After watching sabinfire's videos (thanks again!) I understood the result. Good job ladies :cheer:
Congratulation to Gracie, the best performance tonight!! Kudos Liza for attempting/rotating the 3A and skating clean the rest!! Elena got healthy! Kanako always shows beautiful footwork!
I think in the latter half of the program, Zijun got more power in her footwork and the moves seem more fluid. Joy to watch her.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Well done Gracie, it is about bloomin' time!!!

Liza's crazy score again illustrate the crazy 3A rule advantage in SP makes the competition entirely lobsided relative to the field. The numbers works out even if you fail at 1 out of 3 jump passes, the skater lose nothing.

3A with -3 GOEs > 3Luz with -1 GOE.

A 3T/3T in the 2nd half make up for lack fo difficult combo like the 3lz3t in the 1st half. Just approx 1 point separate these degrees of difficulties...see Liza and gracie's scores - friggin joke for a sport. That is less than 0.2% (1/71) of the score difference between difficult 3/3 elements to the easiest 3/3. Easily compensated by + 1 GOES in 2 other categories, OR +2 in 1 catgegory for Liza (if judges want her to win) OR +1, -1 here and there.

PCS is already bit of a joke, but that is for another thread.

Last edited:

roih

Spectator

Liza's crazy score again illustrate the crazy 3A rule advantage in SP makes the competition entirely lobsided relative to the field. The numbers works out even if you fail at 1 out of 3 jump passes, the skater lose nothing.

A 3T/3T in the 2nd half make up for lack fo difficult combo like the 3lz3t in the 1st half. Just approx 1 point separate these degrees of difficulties...see Liza and gracie's scores - friggin joke for a sport. That is less than 0.2% (1/71) of the score difference between difficult 3/3 elements to the easiest 3/3. Easily compensated by + 1 GOES in 2 other categories, OR +2 in 1 catgegory for Liza (if judges want her to win) OR +1, -1 here and there.

I agree that falls should be penalized harsher, but I don't think the skaters lose nothing.

don't forget there's also < and << rule :)
3A< with GOE-3 will be 3.0 points, which is lesser than 2A.
and 3A<< with GOE-3 is, as you know, just same as 2A with GOE-3.

IMO if rev is equivalent of 3.5, it should be scored higher than 3 rev, though I think base value of 8.5 is a bit too high.

But since Men and Ladies share same scale of values, it would be hard to make it fair for both men and ladies.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight

What about Gracie's score at Worlds for a SP with NO combo:sarcasm:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
ISU is fixated on rotations, and we have had those discussions about it before. What ISU wants to see from Liza is three and a half rotations in the air. If she manages to do it, she gets rewarded, no matter if she lands on her feet or her butt. The UR deductions being bigger than the fall deduction, yadda, yadda, yadda, you know the story. Being able to do those 3.5 rotations or not is what makes all the difference - according to ISU.

The 10% bonus for doing jumps in the second half is actually fair. Don't forget that at the time the skaters are already fatigued. Yuzuru fell on his 3-3 attempt today because of it, at least it looked that way. So what Liza and Mishin did was to optimize their chances according to Liza's skills, stamina and the COP rules, and there's nothing wrong with it. If fact, that's the game.

Besides, I wonder what Liza will do about the 3-3 next season? Keep it, up it to 3F-3T, 3Lz-3T ... ?

Last edited:

bsfan

On the Ice
Yes, 5.5 - 1 for the fall is 4.5 points for the Axel. That's more than any of her fellow competitors got on their double axels.

I disagree, she should at least try to add something to her arsenal. Right now she's dead level with Elizaveta because of Elizaveta's fall.

I also think that falls should be penalized harsher, but right now Elizaveta's strategy is paying off.

It's not that the scoring sys. is updated this season to award Liza 3A rotation. We have seen many cases that a skater had falls and placed in front. Under rotation is worse than a fall because it feels like cheating.

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
ISU is fixated on rotations, and we have had those discussions about it before. What ISU wants to see from Liza is three and a half rotations in the air. If she manages to do it, she gets rewarded, no matter if she lands on her feet or her butt. The UR deductions being bigger than the fall deduction, yadda, yadda, yadda, you know the story. Being able to do those 3.5 rotations or not is what makes all the difference - according to ISU.

The 10% bonus for doing jumps in the second half is actually fair. Don't forget that at the time the skaters are already fatigued. Yuzuru fell on his 3-3 attempt today because of it, at least it looked that way. So what Liza and Mishin did was to optimize their chances according to Liza's skills, stamina and the COP rules, and there's nothing wrong with it. If fact, that's the game.
This ^

The same rules apply to everyone. Some skaters play the game to their advantage. Some skaters don't (or can't), to their disadvantage - leaving their disgruntled fans to bemoan the "unfairness" of it all, on internet forums... :p

Last edited: