Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC | Page 66 | Golden Skate

Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW and speaking to Mathman's notion of just getting people to notice them helps promote FS I'll use the Super Bowl for example. I know when I see someone I am interested in on TV I usually do a quick search to see who they are. So if someone saw them at the Super Bowl and started to follow them or even simply ran an internet search they could have easily found this.

https://instagram.com/p/ynQTbAt6KL/

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure I believe it is their job to promote FS as much as it is to promote themselves as a broadcasting duo. Maybe NBC has simply asked them to establish themselves as more than just FS analysts and are more interested in them tackling a wider spectrum when providing their on air efforts. For example treating events they are at like we're supposed to treat threads here and staying on topic. Maybe that's just me being overly generous but I personally hold NBC's advertising department and whoever is in charge like the producers far more responsible for that sort of thing.

I agree with this. They weren't hired to work the Kentucky Derby to promote figure skating and I think it's sort of unrealistic to think that they are just considered by the public as 'figure skaters!' The very fact that they ARE figure skaters is generally mentioned and does call attention to the sport. But I think their primary goal is to do what the producers of whatever show they're on want them to do. They are personalitires now - not just figure skaters.

But I also recognize that no matter what Johnny does he's going to get raked over the coals by some people. He doesn't care so I guess I don't either. ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They weren't hired to work the Kentucky Derby to promote figure skating and I think it's sort of unrealistic to think that they are just considered by the public as 'figure skaters!' The very fact that they ARE figure skaters is generally mentioned and does call attention to the sport. But I think their primary goal is to do what the producers of whatever show they're on want them to do. They are personalities now - not just figure skaters.

Yes. Even beyond what NBC sports wants them to do, we have Tara launching her "lifestyle" website (which barely mentions FS), where she is trying to move beyond FS. (I don't even know if she skates anymore)

Johnny still does shows and gives back (he hosted the Special Olympics event I went to in NYC in Feb) to the skating community but clearly is trying to make a name for himself beyond the sport.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There has to be a balance between blatant promotion of figure skating and absolutely no mention at all.

I certainly understand the need to expand your brand beyond a niche base (from both NBC's and Tara and Johnny's view), but does NBC not want to improve the ratings of, um, its actual figure skating coverage? Again, a number of other factors may have contributed to the low ratings, but certainly the relative lack of promotion has not helped things.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW and speaking to Mathman's notion of just getting people to notice them helps promote FS I'll use the Super Bowl for example. I know when I see someone I am interested in on TV I usually do a quick search to see who they are. So if someone saw them at the Super Bowl and started to follow them or even simply ran an internet search they could have easily found this.

https://instagram.com/p/ynQTbAt6KL/

Thx, Sam. LOL, for me, someone unfamiliar has to really, really, really pique my interest for me to bother to do a search on her/him.

Not going to rehash the whole Super Bowl conversation here, but NBC's SB pre-game coverage gave outright lengthy plugs for other sports (skiing, for example), but nada for FS. And the snubbing of FS was esp. maddening b/c W/L appeared multiple times within the many hours of pre-game coverage.

... But I also recognize that no matter what Johnny does he's going to get raked over the coals by some people. ...

Happy to reassure you that I am not among the "some people" ;) to whom you refer, noskates.
As a loyal Jason fan, you no doubt have seen that the Jason thread has been having an extended discussion of Johnny's commentary. Plenty of criticism of him over there -- none of which is from me :).

Yes. Even beyond what NBC sports wants them to do, we have Tara launching her "lifestyle" website (which barely mentions FS), where she is trying to move beyond FS. (I don't even know if she skates anymore)

Johnny still does shows and gives back (he hosted the Special Olympics event I went to in NYC in Feb) to the skating community but clearly is trying to make a name for himself beyond the sport.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Nothing wrong in the big scheme of things with W/L choosing other priorities over FS. They obviously don't need anyone's permission to decide the course of their own careers.

Being that GS is a FS forum, what I am saying is that something good for W/L is not synonymous with something good for FS.
What is good for W/L is good for W/L. Some here seem to assume that anything good for W/L invariably is beneficial also for FS. I disagree with that extrapolation.

As a FS fan, I wish that in addition to promoting themselves, W/L would promote FS (with brief mentions) to the new audiences (of non-FS fans) that they -- to their credit -- are reaching.
To me, it doesn't seem too much to hope for. I don't know whether they did so in the mini-interviews before the WHCA dinner. No one seems to know either way.

BTW, I too attended the Bryant Park ice show where Johnny skated and hosted in support of the Special Olympics. And here on GS, I praised Johnny and the other skaters profusely at that time. :yes:

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
To expand on what Golden has said - sometimes they even have to audition to be interviewed. I somewhat hope that Johnny and Tara are beyond that, but smaller known people do.

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2014/07/06/are-david-duchovny-and-tea-leoni-back-together/

This article mentioned how David Duchovny first met Tea Leoni at such an audition. He told the story much cuter that she nailed it and he bombed because he was too busy checking her out.

The entertainment industry has a lot of crap going on behind the scenes - much of what we see is what they want us to see.

I for one am glad that Tara has found a second career that seems to challenge and satisfy her. She is grabbing the opportunity and running with it. :clap:

As for Johnny, what is admirable about him is that he has made a career out of being Johnny Weir. He never pretends to be anyone else. He doesn't beg anyone to like him; he doesn't get mad if you don't.

I still say they are our Tara and our Johnny, just like "we" (but especially me. :) ) have a Senior Advisor at the U.S. State Department and board member of the President's Council on Health, Nutrition and Fitness.

I don't know whether any of this helps the popularity of skating. Maybe it's more the opposite. That people like us get acquainted with skaters and then continue to have an interest in their post-skating exploits as well.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There has to be a balance between blatant promotion of figure skating and absolutely no mention at all.

I certainly understand the need to expand your brand beyond a niche base (from both NBC's and Tara and Johnny's view), but does NBC not want to improve the ratings of, um, its actual figure skating coverage? Again, a number of other factors may have contributed to the low ratings, but certainly the relative lack of promotion has not helped things.

Thanks, Mrs. P. Your context is important to what I am saying.

This thread was started when NBC elevated W/L to the positions of lead analysts for figure skating.
Some here were pleased by NBC's decision partly b/c they believed W/L would help raise the sport's low profile within the U.S.

Within the past year, W/L have done a very good job of raising their own personal profiles. Nothing wrong with that.

Within the same year, W/L have not done a good job of raising NBC's FS ratings -- or IMO, of raising the sport's profile within the U.S. in general. B/c I am a FS fan, the contrast is disheartening to me.

Last edited:
T I don't know whether they did so in the mini-interviews before the WHCA dinner. No one seems to know either way.

I am a little bit confused by this discussion. Are we talking about when Johnny is interviewed by someone else, who is then expected to say, "Here we are with three-time U.S. figure-skating champion Johnny Weir. So, Johnny, I understand that you have a skating exhibition coming up in support of the Special Olympics."

Or are we talking about the situation where Johnny is the interviewer and is expected to ask, "So, Ms. Famous Movie Star, who designed the dress you are wearing and what's your next movie about?"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am a little bit confused by this discussion. Are we talking about when Johnny is interviewed by someone else, who is then expected to say, "Here we are with three-time U.S. figure-skating champion Johnny Weir. So, Johnny, I understand that you have a skating exhibition coming up in support of the Special Olympics."

Or are we talking about the situation where Johnny is the interviewer and is expected to ask, "So, Ms. Famous Movie Star, who designed the dress you are wearing and what's your next movie about?"

I'm talking about (at least) two different types of situations:

When Johnny was on the Super Bowl pre-game show coverage, I wish -- at the least -- he could have thrown in an ad libbed mention or two of FS.
Example: "For everyone tweeting about my outfit today, the figure skater in me couldn't resist adding sparkles -- even to a football uniform" good-natured laugh/good-natured laugh.​

At the WHCA dinner (again, I don't know what she did or did not say there), I would have wished for something like:
Interviewer: Tara, what's the most exciting part of being here tonight?
Tara: It was a such an honor to skate for the U.S. when I was just a kid ... back then, I couldn't have imagined rubbing elbows with all of our country's leaders here in Washington DC!​

(LOL, I'm channeling you, MM. ;))

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

When Johnny was on the Super Bowl pre-game show coverage, I wish -- at the least -- he could have thrown in an ad libbed mention or two of FS.
Example: "For everyone tweeting about my outfit today, the figure skater in me couldn't resist adding sparkles -- even to a football uniform" good-natured laugh/good-natured laugh.​

At the WHCA dinner (again, I don't know what she did or did not say there), I would have wished for something like:
Tara: It was a such an honor to skate for the U.S. when I was just a kid ... back then, I couldn't have imagined rubbing elbows with all of our country's leaders here in Washington DC!​

Serously? Johnny would never say anything like that. :laugh2: Ever. That doesn't not sound like him in the slightest...

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Serously? Johnny would never say anything like that. :laugh2: Ever. That doesn't not sound like him in the slightest...

Don't have a direct quote at my fingertips that is similar, but obviously I disagree. YMMV.

He is a smart guy, and if he had wanted to refer to FS at the Super Bowl, I think he easily could have found a way to do so.

Curious what words you could imagine him using to do so?

ETA, via quickie search, found this quote from JW:
The thing is, just sparkle so much that nobody notices. Yeah, that’s it. Sparkle! We’ve got to sparkle!
http://misfitmimes.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-future-of-everything.html#.VUf84_lViko

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

That is far too subtle for Johnny. Thought it would be very classy and appropriate.

The funny thing is, some people at home may be wondering "who are these people" and a quick figure skating reference like you recommended, would actually likely bring clarity to the broadcast, even some non-fans would likely enjoy at least knowing where these two come from.

Last edited:
Your (Golden411's) imagined quote for Johnny is excellent. But if Tara said hers, people would complain that all she ever does is talk about what she did as a young skater. :)

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
On the other hand, it could just irritate some viewers. Sometimes, when people refer to their pasts a lot, it can sound like they are just reliving their 'glory days' every other sentence.

ETA: or what Mathman said. Lol

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Your (Golden411's) imagined quote for Johnny is excellent. But if Tara said hers, people would complain that all she ever does is talk about what she did as a young skater. :)

On the other hand, it could just irritate some viewers. Sometimes, when people refer to their pasts a lot, it can sound like they are just reliving their 'glory days' every other sentence.

ETA: or what Mathman said. Lol

OK, I hear you re Tara ... but LOL, I happen to be someone who never gets irritated when she refers to her former success as a skater. (And I would say that in general, I do not have blind love for Tara, although I like her.)

Do people get irritated also when other OGMs from the distant past make similar references? :confused2:

For example, Boitano occasionally tweets photos of old Olympic mementos that he comes across amongst his possessions. They never irritate me -- just make me nostalgic in a good way. (But I always have loved Boitano, so I don't claim to be objective regarding him. ;))