2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Why then are the US Ladies dominating everything in women's gymnastics? I imagine gymnastics is still popular in Russia but the US has so much depth that the second team could probably win a team medal at Worlds.

I can't answer this, while I don't follow gymnastics and know nothing about how popular gymnastics is in Russia or in the USA.... or why US is dominating. You tell me :)

temadd

Final Flight
I just re-watched Polina's SP and it truly is a gorgeous program from start to finish :love: I think I was so shocked in the moment last night watching the SP's that I didn't appreciate how beautiful her skate was.

I agree! Although she has had under rotation problems this and last season, she has been the only US competitors to put out consistent solid programs where she stays on her feet and keeps her head on straight. It appears that she has begun to solve the UR problem and skated a beautiful program.

Unfortunately her LP is not one of my favorites and that dress - terrible. Hope she has made some changes and knocks it out of the park tomorrow night (this is coming from a serious Ashley fan who is sick of watching her choke).

stella luna

Final Flight
To be fair, Gracie, Tyler and Ashley are all essentially tied. Mirai was a touch underscored and should probably be essentially tied with those three as well. I certainly don't feel strongly that Gracie should be #2 and Ashley should be #4 - their scores were so close that those four could have ended up in any order and I would still think it was fair. I do think, however, that the scores are not outlandish. Actually looking at the protocols, I just don't see blatant mistaken scoring - with the caveat, again, that I have no opinion on edge calls because I honestly can't tell (I can sometimes see a blatantly wrong edge on a lutz, but have never been able to differentiate a flip from a lip except in super slow-mo). Gracie benefited from the rules of the SP here - she basically missed her single jump (which she's done twice already this season) and ended up downgrading her combo but adding in a difficult entry and placing it after the halfway mark, so she saved a few points there. The rest of her program was very good, and IMO, better than Mirai and Tyler. Maybe I would give Tyler some bonus PCS for actually skating clean, especially at such a fail-y event, but I don't see anything egregious about Tyler getting 7's and Gracie getting 8's. Ashley missed her combo but otherwise had a strong program - and rightly scored better on almost every component than Gracie. Certainly my gut reaction after seeing Gracie's program was "omg that's a disaster...wait she's in second?!" but when I looked at the breakdown of the scores (and saw how close everyone was), it makes sense IMO.

I hope Ashley and Gracie really bring it for the LP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't answer this, while I don't follow gymnastics and know nothing about how popular gymnastics is in Russia or in the USA.... or why US is dominating. You tell me :)

I think the reason the US is dominating Gymnastics is the same reason we're now dominant in Ice Dance.......We called someone from outside the US and paid him a ton of money to come here and help us. Bela Karolyi :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teMvG0RzyU

Plus, I think Nadia Comaneci and her Husband US Gold Medalist Bart Conner are also a big part of it. After 1996, College Gymnastics become very popular which boosted the number of athletes to a level we had never seen before.

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
I agree! Although she has had under rotation problems this and last season, she has been the only US competitors to put out consistent solid programs where she stays on her feet and keeps her head on straight. It appears that she has begun to solve the UR problem and skated a beautiful program.

Unfortunately her LP is not one of my favorites and that dress - terrible. Hope she has made some changes and knocks it out of the park tomorrow night (this is coming from a serious Ashley fan who is sick of watching her choke).

I don't mind the dress ... It is subtle, with the green bow symbolizing the curtains at Tara. There were several fabulous costumes from that movie, though, versions of which might have added a dramatic flair to the program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for the FS, I have slightly higher confidence in Wagner than I do Gold (competitive history)...having said that, Wagner is still the defending champion. She herself admits that she's not out of it completely, so we shall see if she continues to feel the heat.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think the reason the US is dominating Gymnastics is the same reason we're now dominant in Ice Dance.......We called someone from outside the US and paid him a ton of money to come here and help us. Bela Karolyi :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teMvG0RzyU

LOL, but seriously: US with all the great figure skating traditions should have lots of people(skaters, coaches, choreographers) good enough to teach eager young skaters. I'm sure they also can say 'You can do it' :laugh:

Plus, I think Nadia Comaneci and her Husband US Gold Medalist Bart Conner are also a big part of it. After 1996, College Gymnastics become very popular which boosted the number of athletes to a level we had never seen before.

So gymnastics is very popular for girls in US then. More than figure skating?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Snowflake Said "So gymnastics is very popular for girls in US then. More than figure skating?"

Oh Yes. By a Mile. Here in Clovis Ca. Cheerleading is Extremely Popular. To my Horror:disapp: I have lost many a dance student to Cheerleading. Our Varsity Team could all do Flips and Handsprings and twisting "whatevers". Hang on I'll find a video.

Here's a clip of Clovis North High School where I taught dance. Most of the girls had been cheering and doing gymnastics since they were 10 years old. They start with the youth football program which also beings at age 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CGcbBNPQYo

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Update on bootgate

https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/690628379746238465

We just spoke to Mirai’s coach Tom Z. Mark Ladwig and Michael Cunningham from Jackson worked all night with John Harlick, who designed a repair for Mirai’s skate. She practiced this morning in the repaired boot, which went well. They are going to further work on the boot and are sending her a new pair, which she may break in tomorrow if needed. She is allowed additional practice outside of the official practice session under USFS rules, if needed. Tom also said Mirai prefers stiff boots, so if she needs to break in a pair the day of her long program at Nationals, we have faith that she will be okay. Her right foot is .25 sizes bigger than her left foot, and she also has a custom heel on her skate. This will all be included in the new pair. We will keep you updated.

Really glad to see everyone pulling together like this. It makes the sport look good in my opinion.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Gracie has the look and her jumps are huge. If she started winning, that would for sure draw in tons of interest.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie has the look and her jumps are huge. If she started winning, that would for sure draw in tons of interest.

This is true and Ashley is already Popular here in Ca. The problem is that skating doesn't come on TV here that often and when it does, these ladies have to be great or people will move on to Dance Moms without hesitation. I've seen it with my students. Once a skater falls, they're done watching that person. If there's a Splatfest, they'll say figure skating is stupid as they can't understand how a Nation Champion can fall in a SP.

It's ridiculous but, it's true.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
As a fan of multiple sports I'm going to tell you the secret of making figure skating popular again. One word: win!

I live in North Carolina. The Carolina panthers were never popular, until they started winning. Now everybody can't shut up about them! If it looks like we're not going to win, nobody's interested in watching anymore. If anyone won at the international level, not just bronze, when we would see a very different mindset about figure skating in the US.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As a fan of multiple sports I'm going to tell you the secret of making figure skating popular again. One word: win!

I live in North Carolina. The Carolina panthers were never popular, until they started winning. Now everybody can't shut up about them! If it looks like we're not going to win, nobody's interested in watching anymore. If anyone won at the international level, not just bronze, when we would see a very different mindset about figure skating in the US.

Thank you!!!! There's a saying....... "Everybody loves a winner" In fact.....Those words come from the Oscar Winning Movie "Cabaret" Which somebody must have skated to by now. "Maybe This Time" By Liza Minnelli: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hpUn46oVpg

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Haha, I don't mean she gonna go Timothy McVeil. I mean when she is physically on the ice, her mental state is unstable. Do you ever feel easy watching her? Imagine her mental state at that point.

I notice that she seems disassociated sometimes. Either away or gritting her teeth to get through it. After she has a bad skate it's also noticeable. She'll drift slowly to the boards pciking up a few bears, flowers. While she awaits the results she fiddles with them - not interracting with Frank. Not really watching for the score. It must be very painful.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Yeah you are right, I forgot. Ashley has an impressive resume and it just seems like she should be improving but she's not.

She's a much more controlled skater than 2012. Plus she had to find a way to do a 3-3 regularly. Most mof the time she ways doing a 3-2. now she has two 3-3's She's a better skater but these new big technical elements have not fully taken root. Would have been better to start them when she was 18 not 24

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's a much more controlled skater than 2012. Plus she had to find a way to do a 3-3 regularly. Most mof the time she ways doing a 3-2. now she has two 3-3's She's a better skater but these new big technical elements have not fully taken root. Would have been better to start them when she was 18 not 24

To be honest 4-5 years ago you could get away with doing a 3-2 and be a contender. Everything changed around 2013 when Yuna came back and the girls like Gracie and the Russians came with 3-3's. After Worlds in 2013 Ashley knew she had better start trying a 3-3 or get left behind.