2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies FP | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies FP

NaVi

Medalist
Speaking of which... at 6:46 of sabinfire's link it is quite clear that Gracie had more than 90 degrees UR with her 3T in 2A-3T combo.

Take-off: http://s018.radikal.ru/i508/1601/33/c05a63055d74.jpg

Almost positive your "take-off" picture is too late... you should start the rotation "countdown" when their toepick hits and their whole blade is on the ice... here the front of the blade is off the ice and she's twisting off.

karlowens2

On the Ice
I love Gracie and Ashley. I forget Polina is just 17; what a tough cookie.
Gracie - Peolple are correct; she can skate better than this. When relaxed in practise there is a natural extension and freedom. It's beautiful. If she could tap into that in Boston she could win.
Ahsley - Ashley is like the boyfriend/girlfriend who no matter what they've done have a ready-made excuse. They need people like Arturian around to slap them up a bit to see reality.
Polina - I don't know what she and Galindo did exactly but the long program reads flowing and willowy from beginning to end. I don't see the change. Surely there is more to Scarlette that that.
Marai - Good on her. She probaly bought herself an assignment in next year's GP. She'll need to up her game to be a factor. There just isn't the difficulty of Gracie's, Med's programs here.

karlowens2

On the Ice
BTW - you could have guesed Ashley would mess up the Lutz. From the point in her program where the lyric is something about her makeup being messed up Ashley started the overacting thing. As Johnny Wier has pointed out the overacting distracts her from doing her job.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just got up to watch the Ladies event on tape and no way did i see Gracie getting it done especially after Polina put down a huge score. She needs something like over 145 points to win and did it. Only someone with great talent can pull that off.

karlowens2

On the Ice
In business when a presenter comes aggressively onto stage with this fake grin plastered on their face it braodcasts fear not strength.

I don't know who has told Gracie she has to come out on ice like some conquering Amazon but I don't think she feels that way and it doesn't fit. If she came out let's say smiling at the crowd and happy to share this great moment it would be more real - and thus more inpowering.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Very interesting results. I watched Gracie's free, and that was good. Not some firebird masterpiece but still fine. She looked slowish to me. Speaking of worlds, I think that if everyone is clean (Russians and Americans only), Evgenia, Anna *should be* ahead of Gracie and Ashley. Radionova is the same level, so won't say anything about her while she is still growing.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Just watched and rewatched the top 3 FS. Overall, good job by Gracie for holding things together and Polina for delivering better than expected. Judging was pretty fair but the tech scores are generous. Lenient tech callers.

Gold:
Great jumps, deserve good GOEs. Only controversial calls I can see with naked eye is the 2A-3T-2T combo. The 3T was clearly UR by completing the final rotation on ice > 90 deg. Noticeable that it was scratchy. The 3F looks effy too but will give the benefit of doubt. PCS was scored correctly for SS and TR but overscored esp in IN and PE. Those flailing arms are distracting and the IN was pretty meh. I don't feel she felt the music. Best SS among all US ladies though. PE and IN in my opinion should only be in the low 8s max. I won't say SS is a 9 but relative to the others, I guess it had to do.

Edmunds:
Young girl, very determined, still a bit coltish. The 3Lz-3T looks clean but the 3F-1R-3S looks UR on the 3S. Very generous caller. The 3F looks borderline but I guess benefit of the doubt can be given. The 3R-2T was clearly UR and called. These issues need to be fixed. Polina goes into her single jumps with speed but is more cautious especially on the 3F jump and combo. This needs to be fixed. PCS wise, I think she is scored fairly. I won't agree she needs to be dinged despite all the comments about her awful costumes and coltish movement. IN should max be high 7s as I can't see how she could carry off as Scarlet.

Wagner:
Most impressive jump is the 3R off the running 3s. The GOEs were too generous for the combo jumps, hardly any flow out. As I am a big fan of SS, I personally think Wagner is grossly overscored on this component. She does not keep her speed into her jumps especially the lutz which popped and also the 3F-3T. The edge work is weaker than Gold and even Edmunds and the flow and multidirectional skates are not quite there. She depends on good interpretation of music to get GOEs on steps much like Sasha Cohen but the edges really leave a lot to be desired. She clearly gains speed by muscling them, not using the edges. SS to me is at most 7.5. I think it is too late for her to fix her basics but it is what causes her to be so prone to UR on the combos and an effy 3-3 - she can't really hold her speed and edge work. But if a Gold can get 9 for CH, Wagner was undermarked for CH and deserved at least the same as Gold. I will say they both should get about high 8s. I don't like OTT expressions like hers but as this is personal, I won't say her PE scores are too generous or stingy.

andromache

Record Breaker
The morning after and I'm still SO thrilled about Gracie's win here. She really pulled it off under pressure, miraculously enough, and managed to slay.

Not only did she land the jumps, but her SS are second to none. She's lacking in the interpretation department, esp compared with Ashley and Evgenia, but none of those ladies have Gracie's level of SS.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good to see the top US Ladies not get outdone by the Canadian girls. After the SP i had my doubts.

matcha

Medalist
Yes, I agree with this. Raf's reaction didn't help. She was ok when she got off the ice and he then took the wind out of her sails and brought her right down. I'm not sure about Raf as a coach. That kinda pissed me off.
Get mad at her behind the scenes but not in kiss and cry.

Thankfully she has a sense of humour about it:
Good news, I'm alive Raf didn't kill me. He is king of the shady side eye though 😂

NaVi

Medalist
Very interesting results. I watched Gracie's free, and that was good. Not some firebird masterpiece but still fine. She looked slowish to me. Speaking of worlds, I think that if everyone is clean (Russians and Americans only), Evgenia, Anna *should be* ahead of Gracie and Ashley. Radionova is the same level, so won't say anything about her while she is still growing.

Eh, Gracie and Evgenia are about even and both are ahead of Ashley and Anna IMO... Gracie and Ashley also have programs that take advantage of having Worlds at Boston.

mustafakent

On the Ice
Gracie was really great and I am really happy to see her happy.I think her PCS could be a little bit higher but this time judges decided to be realistic, except on flip's, why avoiding Gracie's while giving Mirai one? And Gracie and Carly's scene at the end was priceless.A moment that I will always remember.

Ashley needs to make sure she gets level 4's on step and spins and high GOE's.She loses 2-3 points on them everytime.If she could have hit lutz, she could get 73 for TES and I am sure her PCS would be close what she had last year and overall her total score would be close to Gracie's but I am not sure who would place higher.I don't think she is able to beat Gracie technically when they both are flawless unless judges give Gracie an edge deduction on flip but Ashley clearly tends to earn higher presentation scores still.Overall, she can compensate her 1-2 points lacking on TES with PCS and beat Gracie.Her development on 3Lo-1Lo-3S has been amazing.I never thought that she could get that salchow fully rotated but she proved me wrong.And that element was the highest rewarded of the night.

Polina did a good job but this free skate is just boring.On the international scene I don't see her getting 68 PCS.Nevertheless, I would love to see her winning the title because she skated two clean programs which has been really rare lately.

I also want to take a moment to say how great Ashley as a human being.She congratulated Gracie on Twitter and at the press conference, she gave her a hug last year when she won.True champion.:love:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Raf is hard on Ashley but she needs a coach to kick her in the butt. I doubt she would be even close to where she is now if she didn't have him hounding her every step of the way. I get the feeling before Raf and Nicks she wasn't pushing herself as hard as she needed to.

Layback11

Record Breaker
To West Coasters: I don't want to spoil anything, but have you got a treat ahead of you!

I want to jet to the West Coast so I can see it all again. :yes:

I'm on the west coast, but I streamed it. I knew I'd be too tempted to look up spoilers (results) if I waited. :biggrin:

andromache

Record Breaker
Raf is hard on Ashley but she needs a coach to kick her in the butt. I doubt she would be even close to where she is now if she didn't have him hounding her every step of the way. I get the feeling before Raf and Nicks she wasn't pushing herself as hard as she needed to.

I think Ashley knows she needs Raf to kick her in the butt, too. Raf can seem overly negative in the K&C with Ashley at times, but she never seems genuinely bothered by it. Plus, Ashley is a grown woman, not an emotionally-vulnerable teenager, so she can take it. I don't think I've ever seen Raf negative in the K&C with his younger students because they need more positive support.

andyjo24

Medalist
I think Ashley knows she needs Raf to kick her in the butt, too. Raf can seem overly negative in the K&C with Ashley at times, but she never seems genuinely bothered by it. Plus, Ashley is a grown woman, not an emotionally-vulnerable teenager, so she can take it. I don't think I've ever seen Raf negative in the K&C with his younger students because they need more positive support.

If I were Raf, I would have the same negative reaction as him.

It's okay if she missed the lutz if it's an element that she usually struggles with, but no, that is not the case here. She totally let go her focus at the end of the performance, which costed her greatly.

Raf knows very well that that mistake might be the difference between getting or not getting a medal at Worlds, so I understand his reaction.

Last edited:

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
Some mentioned the russian girls. I think Evgenia could be pretty tired at the end of the season, we´ll see how she will do at euros. And I definitely wouldn´t count on Bambi Elena and Ice cracker Anna :frown: :roll5:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Story of the night for me was Mirai. How much of a victory was it for her to skate that program, not just with last year's bad results hanging over her but the trauma of a repaired boot? To skate that well was something I didn't think possible.

Gracie also shocked me. I thought for sure she was finished and didn't have that fire in her. Skating last with all that stress seems to be a curse for her but she was able to overcome it, finally. I hope this gives her the courage she needs to stop making silly errors.

You know Polina is MAD. There was almost no way Gracie could beat her (based on past skates) but she did it anyway and ripped Polina's title from her. It was really shocking how things ended last night.

Interesting to note that Ashley's free skates in 2015 & 2016 nationals were almost identical, except for this year's popped lutz. In 2015 she got 148 and this year got 135. It makes it seem like she was either over scored last year or under scored this year.

Last edited:

Lexiglass

On the Ice
Eh, Gracie and Evgenia are about even and both are ahead of Ashley and Anna IMO... Gracie and Ashley also have programs that take advantage of having Worlds at Boston.

Agreed. Anna is a bit of a wild card but if she performs like Russian nationals she could maybe beat a clean Ashley but I don't think she could beat a clean Gracie (not in Boston). Elena's biggest strength is her grit - she delivers every time. However, if the other girls deliver, I don't think she should beat them. Maybe Ashley if she doesn't hit her levels, but idk Elena's PCS are way over-marked for me. Her posture is distracting and her programs this season are terrible - for some reason this never seems to be reflected in her PCS but I have a hard time believing judges will place her above Gracie and Ashley if they really deliver in Boston (big, huge if!).