Skate America Ideal Locations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America Ideal Locations

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, the East Coast just had Worlds ;) and the 2014 + 2015 Nationals. In the last five years, we of the West Coast have had two Nats (2011 and '12), one SA (2012) and TCC (2016)-all but one of them in Washington. So it's about equal. Really, it's the Midwest that's spoiled (2013 and '16 Nats, 2013, '14 and '15 SA)...lol. :laugh:

Unless you count Regionals/Sectionals (which everyone has) and the hidden(ish) gem that is Glacier Falls. ;)

Have they ever done a "Strike While The Iron Is Hot" type of thing and had an event in the same city as worlds. They have certainly worked out any logistical problems they may have had and the audience might still be excited for more skating. Of course, they might be burned out and have no interest in going back so soon after all the Drama....:drama:

padme21

On the Ice
How far is Memphis from Nashville? I really liked Nashville when we went there but, it was not during the winter so I don't know how easy it is to get around. However, they do have the Grand Old Opry and the Country Music HOF. They also have a Hockey Team which means they must have an interest in winter sports and there's a chance it could work.

The distance between Nashville and Memphis is 197 miles.
It take 3 hours and 18 minutes to get from Memphis to Nashville.

luenatic

On the Ice
I heard a lot of good things about Spokane. Well for one thing, hotel room is cheap there. LOL

padme21

On the Ice
If Memphis, Tennessee is to unrealistic then I'll settle for Indianapolis,Indiana or Denver,Colorado. I have family in those states.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The distance between Nashville and Memphis is 197 miles.
It take 3 hours and 18 minutes to get from Memphis to Nashville.

I guess that's a bit far. How about Oklahoma? Have they ever had an event there? That's where Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood live.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I heard a lot of good things about Spokane. Well for one thing, hotel room is cheap there. LOL

Spokane is in the boonies. Or at least it felt like the boonies. I'm sure it's cheap because there's not much to do there and I'd worry about the international skaters dealing with flights. Nationals are a different story as the flights are domestic and there's no need to worry about getting to Spokane from inside the US.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spokane is in the boonies. Or at least it felt like the boonies. I'm sure it's cheap because there's not much to do there and I'd worry about the international skaters dealing with flights. Nationals are a different story as the flights are domestic and there's no need to worry about getting to Spokane from inside the US.

The Team Cup Challenge is happening this year in it.

desertskates

Medalist
It would be wonderful for me if Phoenix got a large event like SA :cool14: There are a couple of large arenas, and you're guaranteed good weather. But realistically, Southern California would be the best location in this part of the country. I like MrRice's idea of San Diego. It's a large city in it's own right, and is easily accessible for anyone in the LA area, and a hop, skip and a jump for fans in Arizona and Las Vegas.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The Team Cup Challenge is happening this year in it.

I know, and I'm very interested to see how it goes. Now, when we traveled to Spokane, it was by bus from Seattle and it took forever. Again, we were there in the Summer and Spokane was hot as fire......:drama:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be wonderful for me if Phoenix got a large event like SA :cool14: But realistically, Southern California would be the best location in this part of the country. I like MrRice's idea of San Diego. It's a large city in it's own right, and is easily accessible for anyone in the LA area, and a hop, skip and a jump for fans in Arizona and Las Vegas.

:D. I've been to Phoenix a lot when I was younger (Due to some relatives living in Phoenix) and again 3 years ago and every time I went I had a great time! In fact....kinda going off topic.....I bought my senior prom dress when I went to Phoenix 3 years ago!

desertskates

Medalist
:D. I've been to Phoenix a lot when I was younger (Due to some relatives living in Phoenix) and again 3 years ago and every time I went I had a great time! In fact....kinda going off topic.....I bought my senior prom dress when I went to Phoenix 3 years ago!

Awesome! I also forgot to mention that Phoenix has a pretty strong shopping game, so if outdoor activities don't sound fun, there are plenty of great malls for visitors to hang out in :laugh:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awesome! I also forgot to mention that Phoenix has a pretty strong shopping game, so if outdoor activities don't sound fun, there are plenty of great malls for visitors to hang out in :laugh:

Oh absolutely! And there's this playground area that has a merry-go-round and a little train to ride around the playground area for anyone who brings younger children with them!

Layback11

Record Breaker
On this topic, what I'm really wondering is when they're going to announce it. I think it was in June last year-will it be again?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Doris, I think you mean Greensboro, NC (not Greenville). Greensboro had reasonable hotel rates and the arena is plenty big enough. I've never been to Providence so that would be nice.

Dunkin Donut Center, Providence, Rhode Island! SOI still has shows there, so it is clear you can attract a skating audience. And it is not as expensive for travellers as Boston.

They had nationals there in 1995, and it worked well. Providence has great Italian restaurant district. It is also an easy drive from Boston, and on the DC/NY/Boston Amtrak line, so very accessible. Green, the Providence airport, is a favorite of mine.

:slink: but mostly, it is an easy drive from my house...

Failing that, Greenville, North Carolina, did nicely with both the Nationals they hosted.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess that's a bit far. How about Oklahoma? Have they ever had an event there? That's where Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood live.

Hey! A question I can answer! I grew up in a town 12 miles from Garth Brooks' home town of Yukon. But the only ice rink I know about is in Tulsa, which is a lovely city and has some interesting cultural venues. The rink, though:gaah:, is plunked in the middle of a food court/mall. :laugh2:

I don't live in Oklahoma now and haven't for many years, so I don't know if there's another ice rink.

Callycal

Rinkside
Newark, NJ

I would think with the proximity to NYC (only 30 minutes away) and Philadelphia, PA an hour away maybe at the Prudential center...could probably pack in quite a bit of figure skating fans.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey! A question I can answer! I grew up in a town 12 miles from Garth Brooks' home town of Yukon. But the only ice rink I know about is in Tulsa, which is a lovely city and has some interesting cultural venues. The rink, though:gaah:, is plunked in the middle of a food court/mall. :laugh2:

I don't live in Oklahoma now and haven't for many years, so I don't know if there's another ice rink.

Skylark, Have you ever heard of, or been to Pawhuska, OK? It's not too far from Tulsa and I have a friend who used to live there. I guess it's where "The Pioneer Woman" from the Food Network lives. How's that for a random fact. He always talks about her.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On this topic, what I'm really wondering is when they're going to announce it. I think it was in June last year-will it be again?

They announced it on my birthday last year -- June 27th!

nguyhm

On the Ice
How about Dallas tx. We have an ice rink (hockey) for the Stars, the American Airlines center, which is big enough for the event. Transportation is not ideal but "doable" and there are plenty of hotels surrounding the area and the suburbs. The weather would be perfect in October, neither too hot nor too cold. And we have BBQ as well :laugh: Skate America was hosted here in 1994 in the old arena, we have since had a newer one.