2016 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Free Dance

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a bit perplexed by VM - I think going with the tried and true did not work. I think they are the best man and best woman with the best connection but we're let down by their programs. I wish they had followed their gut and tried for another Pink Floyd. This just seems to indicate they have slipped a bit. An edgier look could have given them some cover.

Nathan13

Medalist
Well, despite the lively Chock and Bates discussion...
1) Poor Cappellini/Lanotte are probably out of the final.
2) NHK will be fascinatingly fierce with V/M vs. P/C. :drama:

mjspideygrl

Rinkside
Well, despite the lively Chock and Bates discussion...
1) Poor Cappellini/Lanotte are probably out of the final.
2) NHK will be fascinatingly fierce with V/M vs. P/C. :drama:
If V/M ended up defeating P/C some of the French fans might not live through it.

whatif

Medalist
If V/M ended up defeating P/C some of the French fans might not live through it.

If they are going to skate the way they did tonight, they have no business beating P/C. In fact, I doubt they will even if clean with those programmes. Their time has passed. I wish they just give the way for talented new generation like G/P.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
My theory is that people on this forum love the shibs. When the Shibs were put under Chock and Bates it was annoying to them because they thought the Shibs were better and being blackballed. None of that is Chock and Bates fault. I think they are good but I have never really been a fan. I just.. I do not know really because I am not an expert on ice dance but I just do not find them to my taste. It is like they are Earl Grey and I do not like Earl Grey. That does not mean Earl Grey is bad tea and should not be enjoyed by many and rewarded for being good tea.

In fact usually Shibs fans defend them, I really like both teams. C/B got hate before Shibs were figthing world podiums. When people were critizing C/B they were criticizing to Shibs too, it was not like they criticized C/B to defend Shibs, no way :laugh:

Matt K

On the Ice
I might be in the minority but I LOVE V/M's free dance - it's so modern, subtle. Their skating skills are sublime and they deserve to be in first. But it's hard coming back after two years absence and so they made a few mistakes such as on the twizzles. This dance will evolve, fill out and improve as their programs always did in the past. P/G's skate definitely the skate of the night - it was so clean. But C/B -- I detest their free skate. It's mainly the music, which I had to turn down and just the disconnect to that music and each other. Still, they racked up the scores -- haven't seen the protocols yet -- it'll be interesting.

Chock/Bates had no transitions in their Free Dance. They were slow and covered little ice with their twizzles. The USA judge was the only person who gave them higher PCS than V/M, even in SS. All other judges gave V/M higher than C/B, except for the American judge.

P/C could very well be unstoppable this season. But unlike in the last quad and leading up to Sochi with D/W, it may actually be deserved. But we don't know yet. Will have to wait and see. It is promising that the judges are deservedly giving V/M still very high PCS (except for the USA judge, of course). Will wait and see.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
C/B are not my favorite team, but I really enjoyed this program. The choreography is interesting and I like the music. There should be more Bowie in skating!

V/M were lovely, but I guess I just expected them to be better than that. Hopefully they can work the kinks out soon.

G/P had the performance of the night. Fabulous tango!

rain

Record Breaker
I might be in the minority but I LOVE V/M's free dance - it's so modern, subtle. Their skating skills are sublime and they deserve to be in first. But it's hard coming back after two years absence and so they made a few mistakes such as on the twizzles. This dance will evolve, fill out and improve as their programs always did in the past. P/G's skate definitely the skate of the night - it was so clean. But C/B -- I detest their free skate. It's mainly the music, which I had to turn down and just the disconnect to that music and each other. Still, they racked up the scores -- haven't seen the protocols yet -- it'll be interesting.

I'm right there with you on V/M's FD. I don't think this is remotely like what they've done in the past and think those who are calling it schmaltz and lovey-dovey didn't watch it very closely. This is so much more modern. It was a little messy here, but I just remember back to their Carmen program which was a bit of a mess at the beginning of the season too, but so clearly a masterpiece. For a first big competition after two years away, I was very encouraged by where they already are in their comeback.

Love G/P as well. They have awesome programs this year and I can only hope they don't get lost in the shuffle, both at home but especially internationally. I also noticed an improvement in their line and stretch.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States

The board will collapse either way. The uber fans of both teams are so zealous (and a few are down right mean) when they think someone has uttered a diss against their chosen ones.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I might be in the minority but I LOVE V/M's free dance - it's so modern, subtle. ...

Yes, yes, yes I love it too and came here worrying it's going to be seen as some ol' same ol' for them -- but I really like it and agree there is something sublime about it. But I actually do not at all like their SD and I'm sure I'm in the minority there. Tho Tessa is stronger I'm not really buying either of them for this version of "hip hop" and just ugh. But maybe I will grow to like it like I did their Carmen. But the FD is wonderful to me and has maturity and nuance that make it stand out for me already even looking back over their past masterpieces.

Last edited:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
How divine to have, IMHO, the best ice dancers ever - V/M and P/C - in the same competition. Equally my favourites so I'm happy if either win.

Last edited:

mjspideygrl

Rinkside
The board will collapse either way. The uber fans of both teams are so zealous (and a few are down right mean) when they think someone has uttered a diss against their chosen ones.

Yes..and it's sad. There's so much good skating out there! I'm just trying to be happy to enjoy it all.

And to all those that hate the Sam Smith portion...I can't hate it. It reminds me of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCixnaH9KaQ

Dots

Final Flight
Chock/Bates had no transitions in their Free Dance. They were slow and covered little ice with their twizzles. The USA judge was the only person who gave them higher PCS than V/M, even in SS. All other judges gave V/M higher than C/B, except for the American judge.

P/C could very well be unstoppable this season. But unlike in the last quad and leading up to Sochi with D/W, it may actually be deserved. But we don't know yet. Will have to wait and see. It is promising that the judges are deservedly giving V/M still very high PCS (except for the USA judge, of course). Will wait and see.

The bitterness drips from your every pore. Face it darling, D/W passed V/M and never looked back.