The latest on Gracie Gold | Page 39 | Golden Skate

The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Look, it's Gracie's choice what she wants to do with the jacket, but asking Frank to throw it out for her was a childish move, yes. No reason she couldn't have thrown it out in her hotel room, or if she truly couldn't bear to be with it a moment longer, ducked into a ladies bathroom and disposed of it as unobtrusively as possible there.

His actually doing it in front of reporters is also crazy though. Why would he do that? He had to know it would be reported on and how it would look. He's no stranger to the game. IMO his actions were unprofessional. If he took it to begin with that was his first mistake (he's not a slave as someone said) but once he had he could certainly have waited until a different time to get rid of it, or even offered it to a fan or something.

The whole situation is just crazy.

ETA: I see as I was typing some others made the same point. Basically I agree.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Wow :jaw:

It's one thing to be very depressed, and I'm am sorry that's the case. But to make a display of bad attitude like that is a whole other animal. If other people were around, especially new team members Mariah or Karen, it would make a very uncomfortable moment for them. I really hope she's able to somehow get a handle on her emotions and channels her talent into something she feels good about, be it skating or not.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's really disappointing to hear. I understand the emotions of such a disappointing competition for Gracie, but at the end of the day, she was the reigning and 2-time US Champion and she should act much classier than that. It's fine to do that stuff behind closed doors and let out your frustration, but when you do it so publicly and dramatically, it comes across as hugely disrespectful and a sore loser. It certainly doesn't make me empathize with her more for her heartbreaking result... it just makes her come across as entitled, which is the last thing you want if you're trying to maintain a semblance of support.

On that note, I am very glad she wasn't sent to 4CC and Worlds. She needs to know that USFS will no longer give her the same favours. She needs tough love if she's going to make it to the Olympics. Being given a free pass would only make her complacent - so I'm glad they have given her this wakeup call.

Last edited:

gabriellawg

Spectator
I think maybe it's possible that Gracie made an off-the-cuff remark in the heat of the moment and Frank took it literally. It was remarkably dumb of him to actually do it though, especially in front of reporters. I think Gracie will probably be cringing at herself after a good night's sleep.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Good to see this petulant spoiled brat will not be seen at Worlds.

Are you kidding me? Is it possible to have a little compassion for someone who is really struggling? Figure skating is a sport, nothing more. The skaters are the most important thing, and Gracie is clearly not in a good place. Does Gracie deserve to go to Worlds? No, she doesn't. But she does not deserve to be called a "petulant spoiled brat" by random people on the internet who have no idea what her situation actually is.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Should Frank have done it? I don't know. Probably I would not have. However, I think this part of Gracie's problem. People are so protective of her. She's not a child anymore and if she wants to make some kind of statement with her jacket then she should face the whatever fallout there is from it.

Depressed or not there are consequences to choices.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Should Frank have done it? I don't know. Probably I would not have. However, I think this part of Gracie's problem. People are so protective of her. She's not a child anymore and if she wants to make some kind of statement with her jacket then she should face the whatever fallout there is from it.

Depressed or not there are consequences to choices.

He is her coach. I believe he has some professional obligation to her. If I were someone's coach I would not do something I knew would make them look bad in front of reporters. It wouldn't have anything do do with feeling protective- I would literally consider this part of my job.

If he's so over her that he doesn't care how he makes her look to reporters, he should fire her, end of story.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
His actually doing it in front of reporters is also crazy though. Why would he do that? He had to know it would be reported on and how it would look. He's no stranger to the game. IMO his actions were unprofessional. If he took it to begin with that was his first mistake (he's not a slave as someone said) but once he had he could certainly have waited until a different time to get rid of it, or even offered it to a fan or something

That is the worst thing, that Frank complied with that. He is a consummate professional and complying with a request like that shows that he (in that moment) did not respect the jacket as much as Gold doesn't. He should have given it to a fan or someone who truly wanted it.

I don't know... maybe it was for attention too - I mean, we are talking about it, right? Although that would be very negative attention.

And Gracie should know better - she wasn't the only one to have heartbreak that night -- Hong and Nagasu were both crushed (and arguably, worse, since they were in a position to medal), but they weren't this dramatic about it... maybe Tom Z helped them handle the better than Frank did for Gracie.

Going by the subtext of Frank's tweet, Gracie is a bit of a loose cannon and he has no control over her actions and isn't even keeping her in check anymore. She doesn't respect him, the jacket, and worse of all, herself... given how damaging something like this can be to her brand and reputation.

kalee

On the Ice
She's not Tessa Hong, she's 21 years old.

Ironically enough, Gracie can probably learn something about perseverance and adversity from Tessa.
Tessa made a splash last season on the JGP circuit and was hailed as one of the promising junior talents, then fell off the radar for a while due to Osgood-Schlatter disease. She competed again at 1 JGP this season (and did pretty well - she came in 5th after a bunch of Russians and Japanese) even though her physical condition had been doubtful up until pretty close to the competition date.
Her FS performance yesterday might be a result of a risky strategy that backfired, but no doubt she will be back again next year ready to try again.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
"Yes, of course," Gold said, "even though today’s skating was subpar, there’s not a doubt in my mind that this has been a rough season, but that I’m still pretty much one of the best skaters in the United States and in the world. ... All I know is that, given the opportunity, I wouldn’t let them down and I think that I would be a very wise pick for the world team."

Wow.

And yes, tulosai, I think they should be done with each other but if you were a coach would you be willing to take her on at this point?

tulosai

Record Breaker
"Yes, of course," Gold said, "even though today’s skating was subpar, there’s not a doubt in my mind that this has been a rough season, but that I’m still pretty much one of the best skaters in the United States and in the world. ... All I know is that, given the opportunity, I wouldn’t let them down and I think that I would be a very wise pick for the world team."

Wow.

And yes, tulosai, I think they should be done with each other but if you were a coach would you be willing to take her on at this point?

Maybe. She does have a lot of talent. I think a lot of coaches who are not the top names but are slowly chipping away trying to make a name for themselves would fall over themselves to get her. Most others would probably be willing to give her a try out to see if there might be a fit (other than Raf and maybe but not definitely Tom Z for obvious reasons). Yeah she's had a really bad year and clearly has some deep issues, but she is still also Gracie Gold. I don't see it being some huuuuuge struggle for her to find a coach.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
The jacket (showing no respect for USA too) can be given for a charity or at least to a fan. If what is told is true than this is THE END for Gracie and no regrets will ever help. If true (still can,t believe it) is so sad.:(

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ironically enough, Gracie can probably learn something about perseverance and adversity from Tessa.
Tessa made a splash last season on the JGP circuit and was hailed as one of the promising junior talents, then fell off the radar for a while due to Osgood-Schlatter disease. She competed again at 1 JGP this season (and did pretty well - she came in 5th after a bunch of Russians and Japanese) even though her physical condition had been doubtful up until pretty close to the competition date.
Her FS performance yesterday might be a result of a risky strategy that backfired, but no doubt she will be back again next year ready to try again.

She sounds like an admirable young woman. I hope she has a bright future ahead.

I used to run a scout group so I've been around a lot of teenagers in settings without their parents. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable even in a 14 year old. It does not reflect well on her.

stella luna

Final Flight
I've not been wanting to say this, but if that is true that girl is a Lifetime movie waiting to happen.

This pretty much confirms for me that she's in the same place I was over 25 years ago. Feeling like you don't deserve to wear USA on your back and, frankly, not wanting the pressure of it anymore anyway. Maybe this year will inspire Gracie to dig deep or maybe it will convince her it's time to hang up get skates. Not because she isn't any good anymore, but because it isn't making her happy anymore. Either way we as fans should support her. The last thing I wanted to hear back then was "No, [name]! Keep going! You're so good, don't give up now!" Because that just makes you feel guilty. Whatever she decides to do, I'll support her, because I know all too well how it feels to be under that kind of pressure.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I think you guys are trying to make the throwing jacket thing bigger than it is. Stop acting like you always are so mature, so wise. I don't know her in person so I don't know if she's childish person but if I would be in her place, I would maybe feel the same? If you see someone really talented struggling like that and who's depressed and nitpick something like that, then I think you're just too picky and childish yourself. You can't act perfect all the time.

But there's smth different that bothered me.

Girl, you have to learn from mistakes. Good that she wasn't picked. Should stay off from ice for longer time and then think if she really wants to be back. I cheer for her with that.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The jacket (showing no respect for USA too) can be given for a charity or at least to a fan. If what is told is true than this is THE END for Gracie and no regrets will ever help. If true (still can,t believe it) is so sad.:(

I honestly don't see how it can be untrue unless Brennan (the reporter) is flat out lying, which would be almost unthinkable- first who could make this up, and second, who would risk their career to tell a lie about a figure skater. The only other option would be that Frank was lying to the reporters and Gracie didn't actually ask him to throw out the jacket, he was just doing that for the heck of it, against her wishes. This is also pretty much unthinkable.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Maybe. She does have a lot of talent. I think a lot of coaches who are not the top names but are slowly chipping away trying to make a name for themselves would fall over themselves to get her. Most others would probably be willing to give her a try out to see if there might be a fit (other than Raf and maybe but not definitely Tom Z for obvious reasons). Yeah she's had a really bad year and clearly has some deep issues, but she is still also Gracie Gold. I don't see it being some huuuuuge struggle for her to find a coach.

I'm sure someone will take her on. She's a big name and gets attention. And she may yet pull this out of the fire and be the Olympic Gold Medalist next year. Who knows? She has talent, she has nearly the perfect look and she has a lot of support from fans. I don't think Gracie is done and over. I just find her behaviour childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.