SOI in Wenatchee WA | Page 4 | Golden Skate

SOI in Wenatchee WA

I'm sure those seats would be nicer! If they allowed me to move :)

Sometimes the seats a little farther back give a better view because you can see the whole ice instead of just someone whizzing by.:yes:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Think about this. In 2002, COI did 93 shows in 85 cities. 27 world class skaters. Would you pay $65 to see MK, that Hughes girl, Sasha, Plushy, Rudy, and the rest now? I would....and I saw them back then....
How society has changed....I am the last person on earth who has rabbit ears antennas on his TVs and we all have cell phones and computers. Progress?

I was just looking at my program from 2002 COI and that was the "Olympic Tour" so no wonder the tour was so long, whereas the 2000 summer tour only had 36 shows. I save all my ticket stubs and my 4th row seat to 2002 COI cost $55.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's the thing about the ice shows/exhibitions when many of the skaters select their favorite music, maybe skating to something that means something to them (the heck with meaning anything to the paying public though). I was a COI fan because they had a nice blend of "amateur" and "professional" skaters, and the amateurs usually skated their competitive programs. Last year at Worlds exhibition, Cappellini & Lanotte performed a hilarious number that was truly entertaining. They didn't skate to music that meant something only to them, thereby shutting out the audience. But that's a rarity these days, IMO.

Stars on Ice was designed to be entertaining, not competition programs necessarily, while there are a few that make it into the show now that's not what the show is based upon from it's beginnings.
Jeffrey Buttle designed the show and he has done some questionable things with the show flow and choreography of group numbers.

In reference to the skaters picking programs and music that mean something to them and the theory of heck with the audience. It isn't like that and I find it funny that skating fans complain that it's boring same music, different day scenario on here all the time, and then you get a show like Stars On Ice where they can break free and do different things, interpret different characters and deeper meanings and be artsy and when they do the same fans complain about that too. What do you expect?

The skater has to feel the music and be able to connect with it in order to give a good performance and skate it night after night. I'm sorry if it's too much for skaters and true choreographers to ask for fans/audience members to actually think while watching a performance and maybe interpret what the skater is putting out there, but instead the performances are just labeled "weird" or "downers". :palmf:

For what it's worth, the only number that annoyed me to no end is Nathan Chen's "Parachutes" program with the jarring absolutely blaring phone ringing in it.:gaah:

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year at Worlds exhibition, Cappellini & Lanotte performed a hilarious number that was truly entertaining.

Their gala program was my absolute favorite from Boston Worlds!:rofl: We were so fortunate to see it live! :biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a video of her performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4XtfXgvYA

She does a double toe and a single axel meanwhile Karen Chen is doing triples while holding fans...

Karen also singled her loop, for what it's worth. Her performance was beautiful, though.

The lady who took the Gracie video also took videos of Karen, Nathan, Ashley, Adam and others who skated in Hershey. Worth a look.

There are also videos on YouTube of the Canadian tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxwrsIKwc0&t=30s - Elvis Stojko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQP4LqWEOU - Virtue/Moir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8nUJGEOE - highlight reel

V/M's number is a modified version of their Prince SP (same costumes). They took out the 5 Women part and extended Purple Rain, presumably b/c they don't need a blues pattern for an EX.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: :giveup: Slightly OT for the Wenatchee, WA. thread, but was anyone at the Chicago Stars on Ice last night? Just curious how things went, how Gracie did, etc.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am officially worried. She needs a lot of training to get back to her top form. In this video she's slow, and her jumps even just single and double look very off.

And for the second year in a row she's acted like she'd rather be anywhere else but on the ice. Skating with zero motivation whatsoever.

Perfume

Match Penalty
And for the second year in a row she's acted like she'd rather be anywhere else but on the ice. Skating with zero motivation whatsoever.
Well at this point I don't see her going to Olympic. We have to rely on Karen Chen, Wagner, Bell. And maybe Nagasu.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The double jump was all scary looking :eeking:

Come on Gracie!!! Get it together!

ozmodiar

On the Ice
:eek:topic: :giveup: Slightly OT for the Wenatchee, WA. thread, but was anyone at the Chicago Stars on Ice last night? Just curious how things went, how Gracie did, etc.

I saw SOI in Chicago. Her performances were pretty similar to the Hershey video, maybe slightly more flow out of the jumps. She's not even trying for triples as the doubles are very low in height and barely clear the ice. I hope this is part of a planned process worked out with Marina as it's hard to see her not fighting more.

On a lighter note, she looks like she's having fun in this set of photos with Ashley and Adam at Cindy's in Chicago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTvATIVFwXb/?taken-by=adaripp

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw SOI in Chicago. Her performances were pretty similar to the Hershey video, maybe slightly more flow out of the jumps. She's not even trying for triples as the doubles are very low in height and barely clear the ice. I hope this is part of a planned process worked out with Marina as it's hard to see her not fighting more.

On a lighter note, she looks like she's having fun in this set of photos with Ashley and Adam at Cindy's in Chicago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTvATIVFwXb/?taken-by=adaripp

Thx for the info. Oh dear, worried about Gracie. Yes, hopefully they have a plan...I was trying to figure out where Chock & Bates and Nathan were on Friday the 5th. Their Instagram said somewhere on the West Side. It was Nathan's b'day, and Evan was wearing a sombrero. Figured they were having Mexican food, but only a guess. Could have been a Cinco de Mayo celebration.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Thx for the info. Oh dear, worried about Gracie. Yes, hopefully they have a plan...I was trying to figure out where Chock & Bates and Nathan were on Friday the 5th. Their Instagram said somewhere on the West Side. It was Nathan's b'day, and Evan was wearing a sombrero. Figured they were having Mexican food, but only a guess. Could have been a Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Haha, I was curious about that, too! On the photo on the L in Nathan's instagram, he hashtags #batesfamdinner so I guess Evan has family in the area and they were at their house.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Haha, I was curious about that, too! On the photo on the L in Nathan's instagram, he hashtags #batesfamdinner so I guess Evan has family in the area and they were at their house.

There were many cast family and friends at the show, and many of them spent time with family and friends while in town, such as Evan and also Madison Hubbell.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So any reports from the Seattle or Wenatchee shows this past weekend?

Last edited:

NicolettaL

Final Flight
OMG
I'm officialy worried for Gracie. Not a fan but seeing her in such a struggle with everything is so worrying. She barely goes up of the ice :(

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm not going to worry until the end of September. I remember seeing Elaine Zayak at a show during the early 80's. She was clearly overweight and looked exhausted by the end of a very short program that she skated to "Fame." She was so bad that I actually felt sorry for her. Fortunately, she was in much better shape by the time the season came around and took 3rd at Nationals and 6th at the Olympics. When I look at her bio from that season, it appears she may have been injured as she skipped the GP and only skated at Nat, Worlds, and the OG's. Maybe that's path that Gracie will follow.

I remember when Michelle did it going into the 2003 season and she did very well that season. She went on to win Nationals and Worlds for the 5th time.

Last edited: