Kamila Valieva anti-doping rule violation: Timeline | Page 286 | Golden Skate

Kamila Valieva anti-doping rule violation: Timeline

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Actually, Valieva is also part of the appeal .. so who knows ?
Yeah, there's three separate appeals from Russia, with her being part of one of them. Canada has one appeal with Skate Canada, Canadian Olympic Committee and the athletes together. The Russian Olympic Committee, the Figure Skating Federation of Russia and the Russian athletes (including Valieva) are appealing separately. It will be interesting when the decision comes down what the different arguments from the three Russian appeals are.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can this appeal just get looked at as quickly as possible? I'm sure they got people to read it now....and decide.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Vincent Zhou mentioned on the This Week in Skating podcast that the US Olympic Committee had been discussing medal awarding options and the idea of Worlds 2024 and the 2026 Olympics had been floated out there, but the current leading contender is Paris 2024. I hope CAS can resolve these appeals quickly and the athletes can receive their medals at an Olympics like they deserve. The initial hearings took a long time due to the need to collect evidence and whatnot whereas these appeals are simply arguments over interpretation of the rules, so hopefully we will have a verdict much sooner this time.

azora0111

Rinkside
That's incorrect. RusFed with unprecedented arrogance permitted Valieva compete in internal competitions in 2022-2024 that for Russian figure skaters were equated to international, hence until all damages to the single women skaters in Russia are totaled and compensated, including medals and lost income, as well as an apology issued to the Russian athletes by the RusFed, as well as investigation is conducted and officials guilty of blatantly disregarding the truth are removed from their jobs, no, conclusion wasn't reached for all athletes involved. RusFed forced everyone in Russia to accept a cheater as a 'victim' and victimized the clean athletes.
Did not look on this page for quite a while but yes I completely agree with what you're saying. It just was not what I was talking about In that post and I think you read into it further than what was actually there, which is totally okay the point you bring up is important.

alexikeguchi

Rinkside
That's incorrect. RusFed with unprecedented arrogance permitted Valieva compete in internal competitions in 2022-2024 that for Russian figure skaters were equated to international, hence until all damages to the single women skaters in Russia are totaled and compensated, including medals and lost income, as well as an apology issued to the Russian athletes by the RusFed, as well as investigation is conducted and officials guilty of blatantly disregarding the truth are removed from their jobs, no, conclusion wasn't reached for all athletes involved. RusFed forced everyone in Russia to accept a cheater as a 'victim' and victimized the clean athletes.
Given prior history, how many clean athletes do we really think there are? There are just the athletes who got caught and those who didn't. Valieva would not be lionized if the rest of Russian skating culture was really that shocked and outraged by her doping result. Therefore, I view USA (and Kaori Sakamoto for that matter) as the actual OGM and not just by default; no ISU, IOC, or CAS decision will convince me otherwise.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I definitely want the medals out ASAP, but isn’t there a rule that says they can only do a Winter Olympics Medal Ceremony at a winter games and same thing with the Summer Olympics?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Paris is the wish list for the skaters for obvious reasons, it would be my wish list too. :)

(I have been to Boston, multiple times. I have been to Paris, multiple times. I know where I would rather have an all expenses paid trip, and as nice a town as it is, it's not Boston. ;) )

Even without any other confounding factors (winter vs. summer Olympics) I sadly cannot see a resolution by then.

rabidline

Final Flight
NHK channel will air a special program about Kamila on March 3rd. I think this is the first time she speaks in front of a foreign media?

skatingguy

On the Ice
I definitely want the medals out ASAP, but isn’t there a rule that says they can only do a Winter Olympics Medal Ceremony at a winter games and same thing with the Summer Olympics?
No, and there's no requirement that they have a ceremony either. The IOC has said they will hold a ceremony, and do so according to the wishes of the athletes, but in the past many athletes have received their medals in the mail without any type of ceremony.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
No, and there's no requirement that they have a ceremony either. The IOC has said they will hold a ceremony, and do so according to the wishes of the athletes, but in the past many athletes have received their medals in the mail without any type of ceremony.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.18.20 PM.png

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wonder what procedural violation they are claiming was violated since that's the only grounds for an appeal.
Whatever the lawyers think will possibly work. I don't think the appeal will go through, but it's the job of the lawyers to make sure they pursue every single possible avenue that they can appeal on. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't an appeal.

beachmouse

On the Ice
I wonder what procedural violation they are claiming was violated since that's the only grounds for an appeal.

Racial/ethnic/religious bias displays from a member of the CAS panel have gotten sanctions reduced in the past (see- Sun Yang). If her lawyer is any good, they’ve got someone combing the social media accounts of the members of the CAS panel looking for something that could be described as anti-Russian bias.

As for delayed medal awarding and reallocation, there’s also the infamous gold medal awarded at the food court of the Atlanta airport. (I fly through ATL regularly. It’s one of those places that’s busy enough that anything really can happen there. Including food court Olympic medal handoffs.)