Jason Brown | Page 130 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
So because Riverdance went viral I had the idea to check the current "Jason Brown" view counts on Youtube (I don't really have a life apparently) :biggrin:

Based on the top 5 clips from US Nationals, Rivedance has approx. 645.000 views, plus the Buzzfeed article's 1.900.000.

The 2nd place winner is Mc Hammer with a combined 266.000 views (some from different galas)

Bronze goes to JRW Liebestraume with 28.900

Nationals Juke is getting close to it though, with 28.200 views and counting

Prince has 21.000, but I believe this is because many of the videos have been copyright-muted.

And lastly Nationals T&I is trailing with just under 10.000 views.

Surprised to see that it's Juke that's racking up the views and not T&I. Perhaps the Juke type of artistry appeals to the casual viewer more than we'd think ;)

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So because Riverdance went viral I had the idea to check the current "Jason Brown" view counts on Youtube (I don't really have a life apparently) :biggrin:

Based on the top 5 clips from US Nationals, Rivedance has approx. 645.000 views, plus the Buzzfeed article's 1.900.000.

The 2nd place winner is Mc Hammer with a combined 266.000 views (some from different galas)

Bronze goes to JRW Liebestraume with 28.900

Nationals Juke is getting close to it though, with 28.200 views and counting

Prince has 21.000, but I believe this is because many of the videos have been copyright-muted.

And lastly Nationals T&I is trailing with just under 10.000 views.

Surprised to see that it's Juke that's racking up the views and not T&I. Perhaps the Juke type of artistry appeals to the casual viewer more than we'd think ;)

Interestingly, Adam's short and long programs from 2015 Nats total about 13,000 views; for Josh the total is about 10,000.

Caveat: I only did a quick search so there may be other clips on YouTube or elsewhere that have additional views for Josh and Adam.

Last edited:

alabhaois

On the Ice
A general question: I had always thought the ultimate accolade was being an Olympian-- does being US champion rank higher than that? Or is it somehow in a different category? Just curious... :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Interestingly, Adam's short and long programs from 2015 Nats total about 13,000 views; for Josh the total is about 10,000.

Caveat: I only did a quick search so there may be other clips on YouTube or elsewhere that have additional views for Josh and Adam.

Since I checked, Juke has overtaken Liebestraume with 29.000, and T&I combined now stands at nearly 23.000

Adam's long is now at about 20.000 (YAY for Adam!), but his short keeps getting muted.

Joshua's short is at 17.000 (YAY for Josh!) and his long combined at around 9.000.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
A general question: I had always thought the ultimate accolade was being an Olympian-- does being US champion rank higher than that? Or is it somehow in a different category? Just curious... :)

Well the max number of Olympians we can have is three every four years. But we have up to 4 national champions in four years.

Also, on a unrelated note. Did anyone else love Dave Lease calling nationals a Kori Ade infomercial:laugh2:

I could be wrong, but I think she and Raf were the only coaches to have 3 singles skaters in the top ten. That is certainly something to be proud of!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Given the amount of doubt people gave Kori back in the day (i.e. hand over Jason to a "better name coach"), I'm glad she gets the limelight now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Given the amount of doubt people gave Kori back in the day (i.e. hand over Jason to a "better name coach"), I'm glad she gets the limelight now.

Not to mention the not letting her coach out of World Arena. Less than two years from being told no to being arguably one of our top singles coaches! Good for them. BTW did it look to anyone else like Kori was wearing her Olympic ring in the K&C? I think she was and I say good for her for wearing it. I think she enjoys being able to say I told you so completely non-verbally.

Dave is pretty clearly a Kori fan boy, but I still enjoy seeing it.

alabhaois

On the Ice
That sure IS something to be proud of!!

:biggrin:

Something we all heard--right at the beginning of TI, the female commentator said that Jason had the most "technically easy" program. I don't recall hearing that last year's Riverdance was in any way "easy"-- in fact, it was so complex, it was hard to keep up with it. So is TI considered simple compared to Riverdance? There were fewer jumps (I think) and the pace was much slower and perhaps more grand and sweeping than Riverdance but being a novice, I don't know precisely how one would compare the two. I suppose technical elements would head the list??

Jason is so patient with people who hammer him about the quad-- he must be a little sick of being asked about it-- I'm certainly tired of hearing him being badgered. And what happens when he (or any of the others) consistently land it? I don't think there is such a thing as a quintuple axel!! So why is everyone is such a hurry to nail the quad? What would be the next "big thing?" And will consistent landing of the quad mean the end of figure skating as we know it? Just curious :confused2:

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well the max number of Olympians we can have is three every four years. But we have up to 4 national champions in four years.

Also, on a unrelated note. Did anyone else love Dave Lease calling nationals a Kori Ade infomercial:laugh2:

I could be wrong, but I think she and Raf were the only coaches to have 3 singles skaters in the top ten. That is certainly something to be proud of!

I can't bring myself to listen to TSL, but I like that... Kori and Rohene without a doubt present *the* most fabulous looking KnC team e-vah:biggrin:

deetrakt

Rinkside
Has anyone/everyone read Phil Hersh's article on Jason's Nationals win? Here's the link to the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-us-figure-skating-20150126-story.htmly

I'm usually pretty mellow about how commentators and journalists treat Jason, mainly because they're entitled to their opinions just as I am. And, until now, Hersh has been very laudatory about Brown and his career. However, as of the evening of Jason's win, the gloves appear to be off! To me, Hersh's piece is full of his usual nastiness and innuendo, from which Brown has hitherto been immune. Hersh even seems to be insinuating that Team KoRo has been de-emphasizing the quad and that Jason may not (ever?) master it.

Do you agree or disagree with my assessment? Am I being too thin-skinned on Jason's behalf? (In any event, I'm sure Kori and Rohene, if not the ever-upbeat Jason, were not pleased with this.

PS Sorry if this has already been discussed, here or on the Nationals threads. I looked for but didn't catch it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's not the worse Hersh attack ever, but it's just a knee-jerk reaction. That's how sports can be sometimes.

The thing is, Hersh, et al, shouldn't blame Jason's team for not mastering the quad for Adam et. al for not winning. The better party to blame is IJS which is absolutely bi-polar regarding jumps. Jason has been prone to pop and underrotate new jumps, we saw that with the early days of the 3A (and still see at times now). Those pops/URs are COSTLY. So here's the logic: Why would I want to expose myself to LOSING a ton of points for a jump I'm not secure in when I can score nearly just as many points doing the jumps I am good at?

The thing is yes, the men are attempting multiple quads, but that doesn't me they always execute multiple quads. And then they pop other jumps or miss levels on other stuff. If this is what "ownership" looks like, I'm not sure TeamKoRo will be persuaded to change their plan.

And that's another thing. They're not going to let a few critics sway them. Kori has long endured her share of critics. She and Jason can handle this.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I had the most issue with "Brown was the only one of the top-10 overall finishers this year who did not do a quad." line as it is flat out wrong. No they did not do quads, they tried quads. I would say Max is the only one to do a quad with positive GOE. The rest either fell, were under-rotated to some extent or both. Josh lost a few points but had nothing in the column. Razzano and Chen are the only other two that did not get dinged for UR. But they all fell. Dornbush was 11th in the long and 10th over all and also fell on a no carrot quad, but again fell.

I don't want the lucky few who land quads to win, that is silly. The US guys are not consistent enough to be doing as many quads as they are. Even Adam, is frankly questionable to be trying. I almost wonder if it is more about psychology for him than actually thinking he will land it clean, but if it works for him, and the judges are ok with it, I can't blame the guy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason this year

Nebelhorn - first place
http://www.isuresults.com/results/nt2014/
SP 3A for +GOE
LP 2 3As, both <

SkAm- second place
SP 3A fall
LP 3A for +GOE, one 3A with fall

CoR-fifth place
SP 3A for + GOE
LP 3A+2T + GOE
3A, fully rotated, but 2 footed for - GOE

Nationals- first place
Sp 3A +GOE
LP 3A+2T +GOR
3A < 2 footed

So, four events

3A Attempts 12
3A Good 3As-6
3A Falls -2
3A UR 3A- 4

The biggest 3A problem he has is with the second 3A in the LP.

Quads at US Nats
SP
Jason 0
Joshua 0
Jeremy 0
Max 4S negative GOE
Adam 4Lz <
Ross 0
Dornbush 0
Nathan Chen 0
Hochstein 0
Doug Razzano 4T FALL

LP
Adam 4Lz <<
Jason 0
Josh 4t, negative GOE
Max 4S3T excellent, 4S negative Goe
Jeremy 4t fall
Ross 4s <<
Razzano 4t fall
Chen 4t fall
Hochstein 4t fall
Johnson 0

The only good quads were done by Max. And he had one sloppy one and 2 good ones.

Last edited:

deetrakt

Rinkside
A quick question...

I remember one or two commentators mentioning (as Jason had previously indicated might happen) that Jason tried quadruple jumps during Nationals practice sessions (I think in the one(s) between the SP and Free Skate). Has anyone reported what happened? Which jump (s)? Did he land any? Clean? Under-rotated and/or two-footed? Any videos?

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
This is still the only clip i know of

He has since stated he does work on both the quad toe and the quad sal.

I believe it was the Ice Desk post free skate segment where they mentioned he was doing them. It was pretty middle road reaction I think. No other reports.

During his fluff piece on NBC they did show a clip, from almost the same able as the clip above, right as Kori was talking about the quad. It was so similar i was looking for the hand down, it did not happen. So it was either a different jump (im bad at this) or they snuck a qua clip in without us noticing. If anyone an find the fluff piece, I would love to see that part again.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oy Phil Hersh. So is that "ominous" last sentence ("Brown cannot Max out his medal winning potential without (a quad)") meant as a warning to clueless Kori and Jason? And okay, I know he probably didn't pick the photo, but couldn't they have found a better one?

I guess we know what the joint Hersh/ TSL recap will be about.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm a bit late, I know. Been busy a bit with the Europeans, especially dance. Anyway, better than later. I just wanted to congratulate Jason for his US title. I'm very happy for him. :clap:

As for the quad thing. I love quads and I think they should be encouraged, like any other technical element in this sport. Having said that I see no point in rushing things.
He is young and clearly working for his future. He has a plan and clear objectives about it, me think. It's better to master and raise the quality of other elements, like the Axel for example, and bring the quad in competition when he feels ready.

alabhaois

On the Ice
I agree about the photo, papagena-- it wasn't very flattering.

And I thought Hersh's article was a bit snippy toward Jason. :eek:hwell:

Last edited: