Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 171 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

sarama

Medalist
I think it's a mistake though, because it makes no sense that you get a "world record" even though somebody who has already skated scored higher than you did.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I think it's a mistake though, because it makes no sense that you get a "world record" even though somebody who has already skated scored higher than you did.

It really makes no sense but there are so many of these non-records at ISU's website that they can't be mistakes. It is just a stupid policy of ISU to list them all and not care about the skating order. To make things even more stupid is to have a different policy in ice dancing than in the other three disciplines.

sarama

Medalist
It really makes no sense but there are so many of these non-records at ISU's website that they can't be mistakes. It is just a stupid policy of ISU to list them all and not care about the skating order. To make things even more stupid is to have a different policy in ice dancing than in the other three disciplines.
I think it's a mistake in the sense that they never thought about doing it differently. I think all stats get updated manually after the event, so probably they just look at the scores from the competition and everything that is higher than a previous record gets in the list. And maybe different people take care of the dance section, and use a different process. I'm speculating obviously.
Anyway I think the ISU doesn't give a damn about highest scores and that's why they don't even bother about handling them in a logical way.
Does anybody know if there is an official ISU document where there are regulations regarding highest scores?

The Finn

Record Breaker
And maybe different people take care of the dance section, and use a different process. I'm speculating obviously.

That is something I have thought about it also.

Anyway I think the ISU doesn't give a damn about highest scores and that's why they don't even bother about handling them in a logical way.
Does anybody know if there is an official ISU document where there are regulations regarding highest scores?

But the record pages do get very fast update after every championships. I have noticed that sometimes the relevant pages have been updated very quickly after the event has ended. In other times, like after Challenger events, it takes at least a week and many times even longer until they have updated all the relevant pages.

I don't think there is such a thing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...ncluding-personal-bestseason-best-information

Explanatory Note:

Please note that the ISU Judging System in use for the 2004/5 season has been enhanced since the trials in 2003, which means that scores are not 100% comparable between this season and last.

The "S" or "J" in the final column indicates whether the score was achieved in a Junior or Senior competition. As the required elements for Junior competitions are slightly less demanding than for Senior competitions, scores in Junior competitions will tend to be lower.

The highest score tables will be updated after each Grand Prix of Figure Skating event and ISU Championship.

The "Progression of Highest Score" tables show how the highest scores have progressed since the first event where the ISU Judging System was in place, which was the 2003 Nebelhorn Trophy.

"Highest Total Scores" lists all of the total scores over 125 for ladies and pairs and over 150 for men and ice dancing. You can therefore see how the scores of the top skaters have varied at different competitions.

The best results achieved in competitions operating under the ISU Judging System are referred to as "highest scores" and "personal bests". The ISU does not currently recognize the highest scores as "World records

Ender

Match Penalty
My guess is that the ISU has no consistent policy, since it has ditched the concept of World Record Scores.

This is the same ISU that allowed 3 Chinese pairs to compete at 2010 Junior Worlds, although China had only qualified for two pairs due to their results at 2009 Junior Worlds. Then when fans and coaches pointed this out, the ISU had to get back the medals and change the records.
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/features/Chinese Pairs.htm

The ISU has never been particularly competent or consistent.
I think most commentators and figure skating journalists should just be more educated and stop mentioning World records because they're making more people confused by calling some scores as world records.

Ender

Match Penalty
Under the current rules, if the technical panel knows that a jump was intended as a lutz (from the approach and/or from the planned program content sheet), they will call it as a lutz -- if there is an edge change before the takeoff, they'll call it 3Lze (if it's triple).

They would only call it as a flip if they believe it was intended as a flip.

If the entry into the jump is so ambiguous that they can't tell what was intended, they'll use clues from other jumps in the program and from the PPCS to make an educated guess.

If they know it was intended as a lutz, they won't call it as a flip.

Maybe someday the rules about that will change so that all intended lutzes that take off from inside edges are called as flips.

The tech panel will not try to figure whether following the skater's intention or overriding the intention to call the actual takeoff edge would end up with more points for this performance.
Do you have videos in which it's almost impossible to tell if that person is doing a Lutz or a Flip?

The Finn

Record Breaker
I think most commentators and figure skating journalists should just be more educated and stop mentioning World records because they're making more people confused by calling some scores as world records.

I am pretty sure most people know that the scores are only unofficial record scores. Personally I don't see much difference if one speaks about "highest scores" which is something ISU uses or "record scores". They are record scores even if only unofficially.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you have videos in which it's almost impossible to tell if that person is doing a Lutz or a Flip?

Everything looks like it is going to be a Flip but THIS looks a lot more like a Lutz with a flip entrance. That outside edge is just so pronounced and even the counter rotation is present.:shocked:

I think a Lip is harder to hide than a Flutz.

Last edited:

Insanium

Spectator
If I were to properly learn how to roller blade, would that help with ice skating? I just about know how to ice skate, problem is that in Ireland the only rink that's opened for the entire year is up in the north, on the other side of the country for me. Other than that it's until november that I have to way to practice. I own roller blades but I've also heard that learning roller blading can really mess with peoples skills in Ice skating. I just want to learn the basics so that I don't waste what little time I'll have on the ice in winter on only re-learning the basics.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I haven't tried roller blading myself. (I did skate on quad roller skates a couple times as a teenage skater.)

So people who have done both could give you a better answer. You might want to try asking in the Lutz Corner section of the board.

I would think that forward skating (crossovers and edges), backward skating (ditto), and maybe mohawks to get from one to the other would be similar. One-foot turns, including threes which are what you would use as a beginner, would probably be much more different.

Eclair

Medalist
Do judges usually change between the short and the long program?

Because at worlds 2017 ladies event there are different judges listed for the short programs and the Long programs. the KOR, CAN and GBR judges names disappeared in the LP judges panel and were replaced by an LAT, SLO, and SWE judge. What could be the reason behind this??:scratch2:

sarama

Medalist

Because at worlds 2017 ladies event there are different judges listed for the short programs and the Long programs. the KOR, CAN and GBR judges names disappeared in the LP judges panel and were replaced by an LAT, SLO, and SWE judge. What could be the reason behind this??:scratch2:
I'm sure someone will give you a more comprehensive reply, but in short yes a few judges can change between short and long, because for the more important competitions there is a pool of judges and among them are drawn the ones for each segment, but since this pool is only slightly bigger (sorry I can't remember the details), most judges will remain the same among the two events.

gkelly

Record Breaker

The rules for assigning officials are often complicated and different for different events.

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/special-regulations-and-technical-rules

See Rule 521

For Worlds (and also Europeans and Junior Worlds), 13 judges from 13 different countries are chosen in advance for each discipline. Right before the short program, there's a draw to determine which 9 will sit on the panel. The 4 who weren't on the SP panel are automatically assigned to the freeskate, and then there's another draw among the 9 who did judge the short to see which 5 will also judge the free.

Olympics is similar but not identical (see Rule 402)

Four Continents is different because there aren't as many 4Cs countries with qualified championship-level judges.

The Grand Prix and JGP and the Challenger Series have their own rules.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Does anyone remember a male singles skater who had an air variation where he put his hands on his ears on a jump? I'm pretty sure it was a male skater and it may have been from a Nationals competition or something a while ago maybe. I just can't for the life of me remember who this skater was despite thinking it was really cool.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Hmm. Does anyone have a video clip of somebody doing a toeless lutz? I've been looking for a video of one but haven't been able to find it. I can find videos of people doing walleys but not toeless lutzes for some reason. I don't know if they're actually that difficult to do.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't think I've ever seen one. It if it was ever not extremely rare, that time probably was before televised skating.

This to me looks like it was probably intended as a double salchow, which is what it actually is. But she does step onto the RBO edge before switching over to the inside, so maybe you could call it a toeless flutz, or a slutz.

Watching in slow motion, it's hard to see how a skater could generate even one rotation without that change of edge and swinging the free leg forward, making it a salchow. Maybe a single would be possible with the free leg behind, like a walley.