Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 164 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Layback11

Record Breaker
I am attempting to write a novel about ice dance and was wondering if, for accuracy purposes, anyone knew how coaching tryouts (for changing coaches, not partners) work. Are skaters asked to demonstrate elements, or is it like a job interview, or something else entirely?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am attempting to write a novel about ice dance and was wondering if, for accuracy purposes, anyone knew how coaching tryouts (for changing coaches, not partners) work. Are skaters asked to demonstrate elements, or is it like a job interview, or something else entirely?

I imagine it would be just a normal lesson but with the new coach, as a sort of trial.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is there anyone on this site from Japan that is old enough to remember the song "Akai Sweet Pea" by Seiko Matsuda? I'm 50 so, if you're young you may not have heard this song. It was part of a Medley in our hits from around the world show when I was on tour for Coca Cola Japan in the 80's. It was extremely popular when we were in Japan and the crowd would scream when the intro started. Now that Lyrics are allowed, I would love to see it recreated even for an exhibition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5b0ONPX2RI

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Is there anyone on this site from Japan that is old enough to remember the song "Akai Sweet Pea" by Seiko Matsuda? I'm 50 so, if you're young you may not have heard this song. It was part of a Medley in our hits from around the world show when I was on tour for Coca Cola Japan. It was extremely popular when we were in Japan and the crowd would scream when the intro started. Now that Lyrics are allowed, I would love to see it recreated even for an exhibition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5b0ONPX2RI

Don't have to be old, I'm in my early 20s and I know this song, it's one of her biggest hits ever in Japan. Lots of young people today know this song because lots of really famous singers today have done covers of her music. For some reason cover albums are a huge hit in Japan (JUJU, BENI, May-J and more are all popular singers that have cover albums under their belt) so lots of old hits still linger around. It would make a cute exhibition.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't have to be old, I'm in my early 20s and I know this song, it's one of her biggest hits ever in Japan. Lots of young people today know this song because lots of really famous singers today have done covers of her music. For some reason cover albums are a huge hit in Japan (JUJU, BENI, May-J and more are all popular singers that have cover albums under their belt) so lots of old hits still linger around. It would make a cute exhibition.

Hurray!!! It's a Miracle..:cheer2::thank:.......There are times when I ask these questions and think that there's not a person on GS that will have any idea of what I'm talking about. You have made my day....:bow:

Skater68

Spectator
Help Boot Pain

(Sorry idk if this is where i post a message or not but anyway...)

I am having pain in my skates to the point where i am in agony! I dont know what this is caused by my mam either thinks its theough having wide feet or my feet swelling due to excersie. The pain is on both feet (sometimes only one) its on the outside of my feet (its after passing my heel but before my bone that leads to the little toe)
I used to skate in risports rf4 boots and had this problem within 2 months of having the skates and was in so much pain. I got rid of them straight away and moved to jackson boots these were fine however the support (even in some of there strongest pairs) were breaking down quickly and after a while the heel started comming off the skate.
After having 2 pairs of them I moved to edea ice flys. These boots where completely fine for a year and i loved them! But recently i have started having the same problem again and we just dont know what it is. I can skate for 20 mins then will be in pain however at a competition after straight away running my program i am in pain (this is why we think my feet may be just swelling) can anyone please help of give a soloution!! If possible I really dont want to buy more skates as these were so much money! My mam is going to take them to a cobbeler to try get them stretched

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We heard the news this morning that Federica Testa has decided to retire to concentrate on her studies, and that Lukáš Csölley's new partner will be Lucie Myslivečková.

Lucie is from the Czech Republic.
Lukáš is from Slovakia.
Both were born before Czechoslovakia split.

So, what is the situation with regards citizenship? Is it like here in Northern Ireland where we are automatically entitled to both British and Irish citizenship? Are Czechs and Slovaks automatically entitled to citizenship of both countries?

I'm just wondering if Lucie has to go through a pile of hoops in the next year-and-a-half to be able to compete for Slovakia in Pyeongchang.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

petitebrie

On the Ice
We heard the news this morning that Federica Testa has decided to retire to concentrate on her studies, and that Lukáš Csölley's new partner will be Lucie Myslivečková.

Lukáš is from Slovakia.

So, what is the situation with regards citizenship? Is it like here in Northern Ireland where we are automatically entitled to both British and Irish citizenship? Are Czechs and Slovaks automatically entitled to citizenship of both countries?

I'm just wondering if Lucie has to go through a pile of hoops in the next year-and-a-half to be able to compete for Slovakia in Pyeongchang.

CaroLiza_fan

No idea about citizenship, but according to this article, Lucie was released by the Czech federation very quickly. They'll be training in Italy and their first competition is Ondrej Nepela Memorial.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
(Sorry idk if this is where i post a message or not but anyway...)

I am having pain in my skates to the point where i am in agony! I dont know what this is caused by my mam either thinks its theough having wide feet or my feet swelling due to excersie. The pain is on both feet (sometimes only one) its on the outside of my feet (its after passing my heel but before my bone that leads to the little toe)
I used to skate in risports rf4 boots and had this problem within 2 months of having the skates and was in so much pain. I got rid of them straight away and moved to jackson boots these were fine however the support (even in some of there strongest pairs) were breaking down quickly and after a while the heel started comming off the skate.
After having 2 pairs of them I moved to edea ice flys. These boots where completely fine for a year and i loved them! But recently i have started having the same problem again and we just dont know what it is. I can skate for 20 mins then will be in pain however at a competition after straight away running my program i am in pain (this is why we think my feet may be just swelling) can anyone please help of give a soloution!! If possible I really dont want to buy more skates as these were so much money! My mam is going to take them to a cobbeler to try get them stretched

Skater68, I copied your question about boot pain to a new thread in the Lutz Corner;
Here:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59869-Help-Boot-Pain

I hope someone will have some good advice for you, either in this thread or there.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Hurray!!! It's a Miracle..:cheer2::thank:.......There are times when I ask these questions and think that there's not a person on GS that will have any idea of what I'm talking about. You have made my day....:bow:

Haha glad I could make your day, your question was a bit unusual and I was surprised that I recognized it, actually haven't really heard about Seiko Matsuda in a long time but I think she's been touring in Japan recently. They don't call her "Eternal idol" in Japan for nothing.

sarama

Medalist

Lukáš is from Slovakia.

CaroLiza_fan

I don't know for sure, but a friend of mine has both citizenships and she told me it's very common, because it's easy to have ties to both countries...so I think it's not impossible for Lucie to go to the Olympics...but I hope somebody who knows things better will answer you

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know for sure, but a friend of mine has both citizenships and she told me it's very common, because it's easy to have ties to both countries...so I think it's not impossible for Lucie to go to the Olympics...but I hope somebody who knows things better will answer you

Thank you so much for the answer. I kinda thought it would be common for people to have both, but just wasn't sure if it was as simple to do as it is over here. (We just have to fill out a form, provide a birth certificate and photographic ID, send the money and voilà! It's as simple as that!)

Plus, Lucie's hometown is only 15 miles from the border with Slovakia, so I would say that there is every possibility that she has ties to the other side.

No idea about citizenship, but according to this article, Lucie was released by the Czech federation very quickly. They'll be training in Italy and their first competition is Ondrej Nepela Memorial.

That is good to hear. I don't like it when Federations (*cough* France) drag their feet.

Curious though that they will be training in Italy. The reason Lukáš was training in Milan in the first place was because that's where Federica is from. So, now that she is no longer skating with him, I just assumed that the new partnership would be training in Slovakia, so that Lucie and Lukáš could both be based closer to home.

But, hey. Getting a new partner is a big enough change. If he's happy with his set-up in Italy, then there is no need to rock the boat even further.

Looking forward to seeing what they are like together.

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a thread where I can request a "nerdy" emoji? I mean...lets be honest about ourselves :)

concorde

Medalist
Here's something I have wondered and I don't know if it's too dumb or nerdy: Do differences in blade design really make a difference in being about to do elite level jumps/spins/footwork? Is one design better or does it really depend on the skater?

For example, I noticed that Max Aaron and Joshua Farris have changed their blades from a couple of seasons ago and the design change was the same for both men. I don't know if they have use or are using the same exact blades, but I believe they wear different boots (in case that matters). I think Max wears Edea and Joshua wears Riedell.

Photos:
Max Aaron
2013 Nationals
2015 Nationals - Blade Design Change
2016 Nationals

Joshua Farris
2013 Nationals
2014 Nationals
2014 Stars on Ice - Blade Design Change
2014-2015 Season

For reference - it looks like Jason Brown has kept the same blade design:
2014 Olympics
2015 Worlds
2016 Team Challenge Cup

Or is it just a case of them trying some blades and liking skating with them better? I don't think there was a huge change one way or another in Max's or Joshua's jump quality. Spins and footwork - sure - could that been behind the change in blades?

I think I have the answer. In the earlier pictures, the blades have 3 traditional stanchions while the later pictures, the blades have 4 modified stanchions. Apparently when you are doing the bigger jumps (triple axels and quads), the blades with three stanchion can sometimes break on the landing. That is why many of the senior men and some of the senior ladies have switched to that type of blade.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think I have the answer. In the earlier pictures, the blades have 3 traditional stanchions while the later pictures, the blades have 4 modified stanchions. Apparently when you are doing the bigger jumps (triple axels and quads), the blades with three stanchion can sometimes break on the landing. That is why many of the senior men and some of the senior ladies have switched to that type of blade.

They may also have wanted to move up to the top of the line technology available.

It looks like Max is in MK Phantom Revolution blades and Josh is in Wilson Gold Seal Revolution blades. Both blades are made by John Wilson, and use Wilson's advanced carbon fiber technology, Revolution, which was introduced in 2012. According to John Wilson, advantages are reduced blade weight, more precise jumps and more cushioned landings:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXYrpiwhr0&autoplay=1

Jason is in Jackson Matrix Supreme blades. Matrix technology became available in 2009. According to Jackson, Matrix blades are a third lighter than their regular blades, allow for more more precise edges, and require less frequent sharpening:

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=qvmoeXriw1NZO6Y4DBZYyw1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Last edited:

dlarry1

Rinkside
I'm trying to remember the name of a Russian pair that I can recall watching and loving. They were mildly successful (some minor world medals) and competed in some of the last of the pro competitions. They did lots of adagio lifts and unusual things. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.