Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

seabm7

Final Flight
For the Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Championship, or FIS World Cup events, you must have a downhill skiing course with a vertical drop of at least 800 m.

I don't think Michigan has such a course.

This is quite interesting. I guess the nearest place with such a condition could be Colorado, which would be 1,500 miles away from Detroit, MI.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who has skied/snowboarded the Birds of Prey course in Beaver Creek in Colorado and been to most resorts in Michigan there is no comparison. Boyne Resorts or Nubs Knob are likely the biggest and best resorts in the state. 552 ft of vertical drop is all they offer. My Brighton just north of Ann Arbor is only 250 vertical feet.

I have family in the state and we share a place up in the Harbor Springs/Petosky area now so don't get me wrong...I love Michigan. I've had many great stays in Detroit itself and love it. I just don't see how it could host a Winter Olympics.

Icey

Record Breaker
If people feel there must be an "Olympics", then let what would normally be the world championships in each of the sports be renamed the "olympics" in an olympic year. That way no one city would have to serve as host.

Mafke

Medalist
If people feel there must be an "Olympics", then let what would normally would be the world championships in each of the sports be renamed the "olympics" in an olympic year. That way no one city would have to serve as host.

An original sensible post. And it has no chance of success. Alternately all the championships could be awarded to the same country and there could be some kind of ceremony at the beginning and end of the season.

I'm completely over the olympics and have been for many, many years. I hope that each games will be such a nightmare that the whole idea will whither away. But this is a good alternative.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
An original sensible post. And it has no chance of success. Alternately all the championships could be awarded to the same country and there could be some kind of ceremony at the beginning and end of the season.

I'm completely over the olympics and have been for many, many years. I hope that each games will be such a nightmare that the whole idea will whither away. But this is a good alternative.

Picture a whole row of thumbs up emoticons, which it won't let me do because we are limited to how many we can have!

anyanka

Record Breaker
If people feel there must be an "Olympics", then let what would normally would be the world championships in each of the sports be renamed the "olympics" in an olympic year. That way no one city would have to serve as host.

I like this idea!!

desertskates

Medalist

This is a very sensible idea!
And I vote for Phoenix to hold the skating championships. We know our way around indoor refrigeration :rofl:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
07/07/2014
The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) unanimously agreed today that Oslo (Norway), Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Beijing (China)* would progress from the Applicant City Phase to the Candidate City Phase in the bid to host the Olympic Winter Games 2022 ...

If people feel there must be an "Olympics", then let what would normally be the world championships in each of the sports be renamed the "olympics" in an olympic year. That way no one city would have to serve as host.

HATE this idea.
Pretending that World Championships that are organized no differently than any other year of Worlds deserve the Olympic name? :eek: :no:
Boo, hiss.

I just don't get all of the Olympic hate going on in this thread. Sure there are definite flaws with the Olympics, but it's a long standing world tradition that brings people together for a while. What in our life and society isn't flawed? And yeah, they should probably be recycling old venues and such - I agree.

I just don't agree that the Olympics are all bad. They're flawed and grandiose, but they're also unifying and historic. These athletes work their entire lives to make it to an Olympics...And for some sports (including FS), it's the most mainstream coverage and recognition they ever receive in some countries. I personally, appreciate that these athletes get the recognition that they deserve and that every 4 years there's a chance to rope in a few new viewers who might not have ever seen the magic that viewers/followers of that sport see.

NorwegianGuy

Spectator
I live in Oslo, and the debate about hosting the 2022 Winter Games has gone viral mediawise here. There was a referendum in Oslo where 52 % voted in favor for applying for the games. However, people in the rest of the country were unhappy that they did not get to vote in the referendum, and have caused a lot of trouble protesting against the 2022 application. This is also because there were three cities in Norway competing for the bid, Tromsø, Trondheim and Oslo. Especially Tromsø was really disappointed when the national sport federation chose Oslo. Following the parliament election i 2013, Norway got a new government, where one of two alliance parties is against hosting the games due to money issues. So, it will be really exciting to see if Oslo really holds the bid throughout august and september. The Norwegian IOC and sport federation say that the want the people opinion to change before deciding if the are keeping the bid or not.

I think this issue is difficult, because the Norwegian IOC say that they want to change and improve the games by making them far less expensive than the previous games, and we already have a lot of venues to re-use from the Lillehammer olympics. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Oslo will remain an applicant city, because I too think that Oslo will get the Olympics if the bid is continued.

Icey

Record Breaker
07/07/2014

HATE this idea.
Pretending that World Championships that are organized no differently than any other year of Worlds deserve the Olympic name? :eek: :no:
Boo, hiss.
Well, if how worlds is organized, bothers you, in the Olympic year they could be organized according to Olympic rules or some agreeable variation of same. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how world organization varies and by how much from Olympic organization. But if that is such a big issue there are certainly ways around it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, if how worlds is organized, bothers you, in the Olympic year they could be organized according to Olympic rules or some agreeable variation of same. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how world organization varies and by how much from Olympic organization. But if that is such a big issue there are certainly ways around it.

Sorry, although I used the word "organized" in my post above, I am not hung up on the organizational aspects in terms of rules or whatever. By organized, I meant only that your post seemed to propose that every four years, each sport would be holding its own championship that is completely separate from other sports -- the same way that its Worlds are every year.

So what I meant was:
Why should luge Worlds, cross-country skiing Worlds, figure skating Worlds, etc., be entitled every four years to the Olympic name ... if they are freestanding events with no connection to each other, the same way as they are year in and year out?? Even if you mean that the schedules would be coordinated to fall within the same eighteen-day period, the far-flung locations would not be in the spirit of the Olympic movement. "I call upon the youth of the world to assemble in four years ..." (emphasis added).​

Another question:
What would be the point of calling them the Olympics anyway? An athlete who wins a medal in 2026 or another pseudo-Olympic year would not have accomplished anything different from someone who wins a World medal in 2027 or any other random year. :confused2:​

I would rather have the Olympic Games disappear entirely than have an utterly meaningless new format usurp the name.

bronwynsings

Rinkside
I noticed all the talk about Detroit hosting an Olympics, and as I have lived in Metro Detroit my entire life, I strongly, strongly disagree with the idea of them hosting. The city is a mess, honestly, and not only couldn't afford it, but it is so corrupt. Don't get me wrong, I love my city! But it's just not a good idea.

I kinda hope Almaty gets it, Denis would be an incredible ambassador for the Olympics :) He treated the skaters involved in Denis Ten and Friends very very well, judging from instagram.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I live in Oslo, and the debate about hosting the 2022 Winter Games has gone viral mediawise here. There was a referendum in Oslo where 52 % voted in favor for applying for the games. However, people in the rest of the country were unhappy that they did not get to vote in the referendum, and have caused a lot of trouble protesting against the 2022 application. This is also because there were three cities in Norway competing for the bid, Tromsø, Trondheim and Oslo. Especially Tromsø was really disappointed when the national sport federation chose Oslo. Following the parliament election i 2013, Norway got a new government, where one of two alliance parties is against hosting the games due to money issues. So, it will be really exciting to see if Oslo really holds the bid throughout august and september. The Norwegian IOC and sport federation say that the want the people opinion to change before deciding if the are keeping the bid or not.

I think this issue is difficult, because the Norwegian IOC say that they want to change and improve the games by making them far less expensive than the previous games, and we already have a lot of venues to re-use from the Lillehammer olympics. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Oslo will remain an applicant city, because I too think that Oslo will get the Olympics if the bid is continued.

If Oslo stays in the mix and doesn't withdraw its bid, it will win the rights to the 2022 WOG. The IOC has basically begged them to stay in the race. Also according to the IOC, Oslo is the most technically viable city by a huge margin to host the games among the candidates. And the most cost-efficient as well which is key because the Sochi price tag caused Sweden, Germany, and Poland to withdraw their bids for 2022 early this year.

Unfortunately however, it seems very likely Oslo will pull out because public support is very low and the opposing coalition party could reject the bid altogether in November. If the majority of the public doesn't want the games to go to Oslo, I don't think it's right that a minority in the government as well as the IOC is forcing them down their throats.

I visited Oslo last year for a couple of days and I fell in love with the city. It's by far my favorite candidate and I really hope they are awarded the games, but only if there is support by the majority. Right now the biggest obstacle in order for Oslo 2022 to happen is Oslo itself.

Esopian

Final Flight
I don't know anything about the 2022 bidding countries, but why don't countries that have hosted the Olympics previously just re-use what they built for another Olympics? Wouldn't that save a lot more time and money? (than building something from scratch)

On a side note, I wish the Winter Olympics could be held in Vancouver again. :think:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I don't know anything about the 2022 bidding countries, but why don't countries that have hosted the Olympics previously just re-use what they built for another Olympics? Wouldn't that save a lot more time and money? (than building something from scratch)

On a side note, I wish the Winter Olympics could be held in Vancouver again. :think:

Yes to all of the above. :)

alebi

Medalist

I agree! We've seen in Italy how much it costed to host Olympic Games and now a lot of venues are useless and damaged. The Olympic games are a dream for athletes and fans but the way they're organised is only a big waste of money. They should think of a way to disassemble some venues and relocate to the new place or, for example for ski jumping, use existing structures and not destroy the environment only to build a "white elephant".

If a "new" city has to host Olympics than no doubt I choose Oslo! Norway has the best tradition in winter sports, they'll use the venues in the future for sure!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm pulling for Oslo too. Kazakhstan has issues. And Beijing? Did they not learn from the athletes' heath problems at the summer games? Gosh, if you didn't agree with the government's agenda, even the athletes weren't safe. I still have vivid memories of Cadel Evans being told the authorities could not guarantee his safety because he wore a "Free Tibet" t-shirt in a lead-up event. The AOC had to provide Cadel with his own security detachment.