Rotherham abuse: report finds 1,400 children were victims | Golden Skate

Rotherham abuse: report finds 1,400 children were victims

Alba

Record Breaker
The report found that in more than a third of these cases the youngsters were already known to child protection agencies. It said there had been “blatant” collective failures by the council’s leadership.

The extent of the sexual exploitation of young girls is horrific. Almost as shocking as the details of that abuse is the abject failure on the part of social services to protect these children.

Vulnerable girls were often not believed by the authorities because of their troubled backgrounds, consequently they were denied help not due to lack of resources, but due to a lack of concern.

Time and again we see the same pattern repeated. Until those in authority focus on the sexual abuse and not the symptoms of that abuse, the lives of vulnerable young people like the victims in Rotherham will go on being ruined.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...inds-1400-children-were-victims-live-coverage

This is the report’s executive summary, which makes for devastating reading. It is worth reading in full.
http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham

It really is extremely hard to read.
I feel sick and I'm shocked!:scowl:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I was abused as a girl and I get really upset reading things like this since it brings up bad memories. I was told by a cop and social worker that because of strange behavior of one of my relatives I wouldn't be believed, that a lawyer could probably make it look like my family member was the one who put me up to 'lying' and so it wasn't worth going to court and I never got to testify. I still cry while reading about other ignored cases like this :cry: I didn't expect the article would include sex trafficking as well.

Alba

Record Breaker
I was abused as a girl and I get really upset reading things like this since it brings up bad memories. I was told by a cop and social worker that because of strange behavior of one of my relatives I wouldn't be believed, that a lawyer could probably make it look like my family member was the one who put me up to 'lying' and so it wasn't worth going to court and I never got to testify. I still cry while reading about other ignored cases like this :cry: I didn't expect the article would include sex trafficking as well.

I'm so sorry satine. I really am.
How can anyone treat children like that it's beyond any comprehension to me.
But to see that people who are suppose to protect them do nothing makes me angry as hell. For me they are complicit in the crime.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Code:
My neighbor when I was a child was a middle-old man, and he was a child molester. His granddaughter told me (I taught her English for several months). And his house was full of naked-women photos. I feel so disgusted. How can some people be so sick. I hope they will bring out all the people like this and throw them into jail forever.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

satine, I'm so very sorry you had to go through that. We lose the wonderment of childhood too quickly as it is, but to have it ripped away like that -- well, there are no words. :cry: And as Alba says, it's even worse that you were completely let down by people you should have been able to trust. That kind of betrayal is like getting abused all over again. It's a crime in and of itself, in many ways more heinous than the abuse itself. I'm sure the experience will never completely go away for you but I truly hope you've been able to find a measure of peace and serenity. Wishing you well!

As for the article and the report, I got so angry I had to stop reading... :scowl:

I am so sorry that you were treated like this appalling way. And to realize that no one would listen to you or help you...
I can only say that it's admirable that you somehow found the strength to go on and find some goodness and meaning in life.

I will try to read the article, though I'm sure it will be exceedingly painful. We must face these things so they can be rectified. We must listen so that the victims are heard.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Thank you Alba, skatedreamer, Olympia, & skateluvr, you all are very sweet... :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank you Alba, skatedreamer, Olympia, & skateluvr, you all are very sweet... :)
Big hug from me, too.
I wish these kind of people will be rotten in hell. Just like that bastard who was a neighbor of mine. The girl was his granddaughter, for God's sake!