2015 Medal Winners Open Jan 16 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Medal Winners Open Jan 16

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Pro comp. It doesn't matter here and it's always going to be silly. I mean, it's not like Plushy could schmooze the judges from the ice at a real comp.

I guess so, then they could have given Evan a pass with his spin too. But ah well.
What was really funny though, was the warm up where Evan, Plushenko and Oda were all on the ice together. It's like the girls in high school who accidentally wear the same outfit. All black tight shirts and pants and the placement of sequins was the only way to differentiate. (I exaggerate) :rofl:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I just watched the broadcast and here are some thoughts:
I guess this isn't a competition to take too seriously so I mostly just watched it out of curiosity to see how everyone was doing after retirement.

Plushenko did a very clean program that was about as empty as a Christmas bauble. His 2 3A's were impressive and so his technical score was justified. But his PCS was the second highest of the night if I remember correctly -which is ridiculous. That said, it was enjoyable, and his ending pose in a fetal position lying down on the ice was hilarious.

The PCS is not only TRs. Right? Plus you can't take off your eyes of him...empty or not never boring.. His previous Je suis malade program at Vancouver gala brought many new fans for the FS..

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I just watched the videos. Plushenko skated to Je suis malade, I guess olympic champions from Russia like the song. Rochette is the clear winner in ladies. I also enjoy the performances of Meier and Lepistö. These skaters remind me past when I just began watching competitions.

Apparently Slutskaya couldn't concentrate on this event due to Snow King shows. Together with Weir and Plushenko, she was so cute at K&C.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Plushenko did a very clean program that was about as empty as a Christmas bauble. His 2 3A's were impressive and so his technical score was justified. But his PCS was the second highest of the night if I remember correctly -which is ridiculous. That said, it was enjoyable, and his ending pose in a fetal position lying down on the ice was hilarious.
We all have different opinions, of course. But since we're on a discussion forum, I want to take a moment to express a different view.

I've actually had issues with every Je Suis Malade performance outside of Vancouver 2010. It was magical that night, and completely in character; every performance since never quite captured the mood (for instance, 2012 Europeans was a little too celebratory--though the tech remained impressive with three 3As). However, there was none of that in this performance. He really brought a character and mood to life. In terms of visceral emotion, I thought Plushenko was unmatched. He only slipped out of character after the final pose, which was acceptable to me since it's not part of the performance.

With the way you were talking about the program, I thought he'd do three jumps, then walk off. But really, the only long glide was into the first triple axel--which was well worth the wait. :) The footwork was quick, energetic, and fitting to the music (though there was a jarring music cut to fit the time requirements--my one issue with the performance). The spins weren't anywhere near as fast as Oda's, but he did get Level 3s for all of them, so I wouldn't say he put no thought into them.

Honestly, the only person who had a really packed program was Buttle. And he did receive the highest PCS, thanks to TR and CH (even though he was transitioning into failed jumps :p). Evan Lysacek also received higher TR and CH than Plushenko... but PCS is five categories, not one or two.

Now for the rest...

Oda's 4-3 (the knee bend!) and spins were excellent. I'm not sure if the program was the right choice for a pro competition, but it was a good vehicle to demonstrate his skills. He did seem to lose a little bit of energy on the step sequence after the spill on the lutz, but thankfully he ended with a spin, to finish the program strongly.

I thought Jeff Buttle was lovely even with the jump errors. It was a typical "lyrical skater" program, but this is probably the pinnacle of that kind of program. Every nuance of the music was acknowledged--the spread eagle as the singer holds a note, the steps in time with the words. While I personally wasn't affect emotionally--it was a more cerebral artistry--I do acknowledge the quality and difficulty of what Jeff does.

I feel the same way about Johnny's performance as I did about all his recent exhibitions: interesting concept on paper, fancy costume... but the skate turns into a bunch of figure skating moves strung together, with a hardcore COP step sequence to top it off. His movements are elegant, and he does have expression with both face and body. I just don't know what he's expressing on an emotional level.

I appreciate the concept of Evan's program--I think it's one of only two programs (along with Plushenko's) that captures the spirit of a pro competition. But he doesn't come across as genuine to me. It feels like someone told him to do these movements, and he tries very hard, but ultimately it's just difficult to watch.

I'm happy to see Honda hanging with the young'uns, and trying a triple axel even! But the performance was ruined by the spins. Jeff could fumble on his jumps and still perform, but once all three spins go to heck, it's quite difficult to salvage anything. I was wrong--it's not that Honda didn't train for COP. He just (understandably) can't pick it up that quickly. There was the "slow section" which I liked--his arm movements were quite elegant.

All in all, I conclude:
1) Pro competitions might be best judged with 6.0, or a mark out of 10. Or, at the very least, there should be two required spins (not three), and they will not be levelled. Though I personally didn't like Evan's performance, I could get behind him receiving bronze if judged more holistically, due to Jeff's jumping errors. And Takeshi Honda would've been more watchable if he hadn't tried to force the COP spins.
2) As a consequence of 1), it felt more like a short program than a pro competition.
3) ...Is it just me, or was the tech panel really lenient? I thought both Oda and Johnny's 3As could've been called UR, and maybe even Jeff's 3-3 as well. I mean, not that it matters... I'm just curious if it's because it's a pro competition (fair enough) or if tech panels in general tend to scrutinize the guys less (which would be unfair).

EDIT: Holy crap, I'm sorry for the wall of text! I had no idea it would turn out this long when I was typing. :hopelessness:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Takeshi is only one year older than Plushy...hard to believe. :eek: Considering that Plushy had a major operation less than a year ago, and his grueling schedule over the past couple months, I would certainly not expect him to turn in a program as packed as Jeff's. I'm just incredibly proud of him for putting in the work and effort it must have taken to get back to this level. Whether anyone else feels he deserved his PCS matters to me not at all.

I don't know if there was more to the broadcast than the videos that were posted, but I would have liked to have seen interviews with all the skaters, especially the men that competed in Vancouver. After all that went down there...now that it's close to the 5-year anniversary, and they were facing off again, it must have felt like deja vu. I would like to know what their feelings are now about the outcome in 2010, and about each other. Maybe just a little trashtalking, for old time's sake. :rofl: Just seems like a big missed opportunity. I so wish that the US had a pro competition these days, because you know they would have hyped up the drama.

MIM

Medalist
:thumbsup:mad: sandpiper, I enjoyed reading your honest and thorough reviews.

I did enjoy watching Jeffery and Joanie's skating the most. They definitely brought the beauty of the veterans' skating. Even with the less strong jump layout, their presence and artistry justified this kind of event as a competition. I also think Plushy, Evan have good programs and deserved to be ranked high here. ( I could not watch Oda's program. The video was deleted from daily motion. Does anyone have his?) I like the debates about these skaters. They are not disappeared into a history, but exist as pro skaters with the valuable qualities to fire up the discussion.

The skaters I could not finish watching were Jonnny, Honda, and Miki. Actually I stopped watching ladies event after Miki. I guess I need a different mind set to watch this event to the end. With that being said, I agree the scoring system should be different from the Cop. The skaters in this event are the greatest of their skating era. I just do not want to see them tortured and mocked in their performances designed to meet the scoring standards that are not reflecting the reality.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't mind being hooted down for not thinking Plushenko's program had much in it besides the jumps. That's what these forums are for.
A friend of mine, who only used to watch figure skating during the Plushenko era and is slowly getting back to it also mention that 'he's just kind of skating around'.
So, maybe, if there is no prior deep connection to the Plushenko magic, such programs as this will not impress, other than in the jumps. I have liked other programs of his, just not this one.

Evan was a surprise for me because I was biased against him from the start, because I do not like his style at all. Yet, he had a good program which made me clap at the end.

I think since the judges seemed to be going with their gut mostly in the scoring, it should have been done in ordinals.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
( I could not watch Oda's program. The video was deleted from daily motion. Does anyone have his?)
Oda: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2expy3_2015-11_sport

So, maybe, if there is no prior deep connection to the Plushenko magic, such programs as this will not impress, other than in the jumps.
Or perhaps people just have different opinions. :) (Or, alternatively, the same thing applies to everyone. Johnny's program didn't do anything for me--I guess it only works for people who were exposed to the Weir magic. :p)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oda: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2expy3_2015-11_sport

Or perhaps people just have different opinions. :) (Or, alternatively, the same thing applies to everyone. Johnny's program didn't do anything for me--I guess it only works for people who were exposed to the Weir magic. :p)

Thanks for finding the link to Oda's performance!

It's like that with the pros. They have a history in one's mind of all that they have done before and that connects with their present skating whatever it may be.

Joanie Rochette was a great surprise to me. I had actually never seen her skate before. :eek:: She is amazing. So fit, so prepared in every way.
Even from the warm up you could tell she was going to win...at least, in my house, with my group of watchers, we were like, "Who is she? She's going to win for sure!"

Esopian

Final Flight
From my previous comments in this thread, I was excited about this competition for a whole week now! :biggrin: To me, it wasn't a surprise that Joannie and Plushenko would win. I've actually seen Joannie skate live at Stars on Ice 2014 in Canada and she was awesome!! I'm really glad she skated so well in this event.
:cheer:

About Plushenko's skate, you can definitely feel his passion for the sport when he skated. Though I would agree that the beginning of the program was only loaded with jumps (beautiful ones!), I think for all he has been through surgery-wise --it's amazing to skate like that.

I also enjoyed watching Buttle's program, his skating is top-notch elegant and skilled! I've seen him skate live at SOI-2014 in Canada as well, so it's great for him to get the bronze. Another program that I really liked is Oda's!!

Great event overall :popcorn:

russell30

Final Flight
I watched the MWO last night, and it was great to see this back, and lets hope they bring it back next year!

Ladies-

Joannie was GREAT! really enjoyed the performance and musicality and the transitions and she has kept up with her technical arsenal, I can see that she can still hit the 3S, half loof, 3T (although 2T on this occasion). The deserved winner, I'am sure if it was not for her coach retiring we would have seen Joannie last year!

Really liked Sarah Meier too, the amelie program really suited her well, and she had the best spins out there today, her 2A wasn't bad either, shame she did not have a triple in her program, but I thought the 2nd place was spot on.

I enjoyed Laura too, thought the program was great, great choice of music, not sure of the music box? but I like the program, the overall skating was very nice to look at. I would have placed her third and on the podium.

I liked Kimmie's program too, shame about the mistakes but I still would have placed that 4th.

Mens -

Oda - Was close but I would have placed Nobu first, i thought his adios nonino program was well interpreted, some nice nuances and a great start with the jump combo, shame the other two jumps let him down, but that was the best program.

Plushy - Well - Yes he hit the jumps, but nothing really in between the moves, but he did do the job, so I should not question he should be on the podium but for me 2nd or 3rd.

Jeffrey - Just enjoyed the routine, great transitional moves as always from Jeff, despite the mistakes. I think the placement was right.

Johnny - In a way did not do it for me - maybe the program was not ideal for him, but was very graceful out there on the ice. I think 4th was right.

Evan - Umm! - Again the program did not work for me, although he hit the jumps and some great in between moves, but was somewhat flat - i think the judges felt the same.

Overall Joannie and Sarah was just terrific and would watch their programs again!:biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Late to the party on this one - I found some videos on Youtube and watched with interest. Joannie looked great and so fit - I think she could still compete if she wanted to and give Ashley Wagner a run for her money in the "mature woman on the ice" race. I have to hand it to Plushy, his 3As are still amazing and I guess I can see why he doesn't want to give up competing.

Irina Slutskaya looked so different to me - I almost didn't recognize her. Did she have her nose done? Not being catty, I just think her face looked so different.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I just saw that this competition existed! Too funny. Lysacek placing below Weir because of dumb CoP rule was an even funnier role reversal.

I liked the new side Oda showed here. Maybe he doesn't pull the sexiness off all the way but it was nice. His spins were SO good here and the Quad-Triple was extremely unexpected and well done for this event. Plushenko was rather boring and didn't deserve to win.

I preferred Joannie's program at the 2012 event, but it was nice to see her go for the 3Flip here and win (she should have won last time as well).

I think Lysacek actually had the best choreography here but unfortunately his execution is so plastic. This felt exactly like something Lambiel should have been skating to and it would have been electrifying. Unfortunately there is a lack of personality, musicality, and nuance in Evan's skating.

I don't know if there was more to the broadcast than the videos that were posted, but I would have liked to have seen interviews with all the skaters, especially the men that competed in Vancouver. After all that went down there...now that it's close to the 5-year anniversary, and they were facing off again, it must have felt like deja vu. I would like to know what their feelings are now about the outcome in 2010, and about each other. Maybe just a little trashtalking, for old time's sake. :rofl: Just seems like a big missed opportunity. I so wish that the US had a pro competition these days, because you know they would have hyped up the drama.

LOL, yes. That would have been great.