Election Night in USA | Golden Skate

Election Night in USA

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm watching CNN. I had no idea that the elections were tonight.

So it's about senat and congress as well, right? I see some for governor as well.

From what I can see till now, the democrats are losing?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's still early. Polls just closed in the Eastern U.S. and polls are still open for a number of key states in the West, which won't close for several more hours.

The only Senate race declared is the one in Kentucky -- Mitch McConnell, the Republican maintained his seat, despite a strong effort from the Democratic candidate.

I like this real-time rundown that the New York Times is doing regarding the Senate races: http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/s...icmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=0

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Our political scene, as I'm sure is true elsewhere, is a matter of redundancies. One party takes over and shifts the country a little one way only to be overtaken a few years later to shift is back in the other direction. All along they like to throw out a few divisive issues to keep us from uniting and having the courage to call a spade a spade. It's sad and I remain tuned into our news and other news outlets from around the world to understand half of what is really going on.

To make the whole thing worse most people just vote on whatever social issues suit their particular needs and rarely take everyone's best interests at heart. I'm a proud American but our political landscape could be the sole definition of the word greedy....and Im not being exclusive to the politicians but rather all involved.

Sorry if that sounds all doom and gloom but I'm rarely inspired by the leaders of this nation. It is a very fascinating process and taking the good with the bad it is the best we can offer so I've learned to take it with a grain of salt. After all is said and done...it only takes one person to lead :think:

This is the type of person I wish would shape out political landscape!!
http://youtu.be/CbIZU8cQWXc

Alba

Record Breaker
It's still early. Polls just closed in the Eastern U.S. and polls are still open for a number of key states in the West, which won't close for several more hours.

The only Senate race declared is the one in Kentucky -- Mitch McConnell, the Republican maintained his seat, despite a strong effort from the Democratic candidate.

I like this real-time rundown that the New York Times is doing regarding the Senate races: http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/s...icmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=0

That's great. Thanks Mrs.P

What about Congress? How many races are going on there, and how many each party needs to win in order to control?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's great. Thanks Mrs.P

What about Congress? How many races are going on there, and how many each party needs to win in order to control?

I keep hearing that its going to be so close that there will be runoff elections and we won't know until mid January. :popcorn:

Alba

Record Breaker
Our political scene, as I'm sure is true elsewhere, is a matter of redundancies. One party takes over and shifts the country a little one way only to be overtaken a few years later to shift is back in the other direction. All along they like to throw out a few divisive issues to keep us from uniting and having the courage to call a spade a spade. It's sad and I remain tuned into our news and other news outlets from around the world to understand half of what is really going on.

To make the whole thing worse most people just vote on whatever social issues suit their particular needs and rarely take everyone's best interests at heart. I'm a proud American but our political landscape could be the sole definition of the word greedy....and Im not being exclusive to the politicians but rather all involved.

Sorry if that sounds all doom and gloom but I'm rarely inspired by the leaders of this nation. It is a very fascinating process and taking the good with the bad it is the best we can offer so I've learned to take it with a grain of salt. After all is said and done...it only takes one person to lead :think:

This is the type of person I wish would shape out political landscape!!
http://youtu.be/CbIZU8cQWXc

Everywhere is more or less the same dear. :disapp:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

A term in the U.S. House of Representatives is only two years.

Every two years, elections are held for all 435 House seats.

There are no term limits, so some Representatives succeed in getting re-elected for many, many consecutive terms.

Alba

Record Breaker
A term in the U.S. House of Representatives is only two years.

Every two years, elections are held for all 435 House seats.

There are no term limits, so some Representatives succeed in getting re-elected for many, many consecutive terms.

Right. I get confused with all these elections. :confused:

CNN projection says now, Republicans to retain control of the House.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm at work right now. I work for a local newspaper, and I'm covering a few local races. Just had the traditional election night pizza (and a piece of apple pie, so AMERICAN!). :)

In Washington State, we're a mail-in ballot state and ballots are accepted up to the "poll closing" time of 7 p.m., i.e. as long as its postmarked by today. Which means races are never fully determined on election night. Usually you have a pretty good idea, however, whether someone is winning by a whole lot where those ballots that are counted later might not make enough of a difference.

Interested in seeing how some opposing gun background checks initiatives do in this state. One would expand gun background checks while the other one would restrict it: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/opini...f-both-washington-state-gun-initiatives-pass/

I'd be interested in how that unfortunate school shooting outside of Seattle nearly two weeks ago may have influenced voters as well.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm at work right now. I work for a local newspaper, and I'm covering a few local races. Just had the traditional election night pizza (and a piece of apple pie, so AMERICAN!). :)

That must be exciting. :)

Senate seems to go for Republicans also. I mean they have to win 3 more, right?

Interested in seeing how some opposing gun background checks initiatives do in this state. One would expand gun background checks while the other one would restrict it: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/opini...f-both-washington-state-gun-initiatives-pass/

Restrict the background check? Really? :unsure:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Restrict the background check? Really? :unsure:

Washington is more diverse state then what national reports will tell you. It is firmly a blue (Democrat) blue state because there are simply more voters in Western Washington (i.e. Seattle area), however when you head east and cross the Cascade Mountains, the state is more red -- but the area is sparse in population (relative to the Western part of the state) so they don't get the votes.

So my prediction that I-574 (increase gun background checks) will pass and I-591 (reduce background checks) will fail for the reason I stated above.

Alba

Record Breaker
Washington is more diverse state then what national reports will tell you. It is firmly a blue (Democrat) blue state because there are simply more voters in Western Washington (i.e. Seattle area), however when you head east and cross the Cascade Mountains, the state is more red -- but the area is sparse in population (relative to the Western part of the state) so they don't get the votes.

So my prediction that I-574 (increase gun background checks) will pass and I-591 (reduce background checks) will fail for the reason I stated above.

Very interesting. Still, I will never get why people are against gun control.

When you have time, I would be very grateful if you can tell us something about the areas in USA, and how they are divided for elections in general.
I'm very curious and interested in politics, and USA intrigues me because I can't fully grasp it. Although I follow it as much as I can.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Very interesting. Still, I will never get why people are against gun control.

When you have time, I would be very grateful if you can tell us something about the areas in USA, and how they are divided for elections in general.
I'm very curious and interested in politics, and USA intrigues me because I can't fully grasp it. Although I follow it as much as I can.

Sure I'd be glad to.

As I predicted the I-574 (increased gun checks) is passing and the contrasting I-591 is failing. You can see the political divide through these lovely maps: http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/election/#KeyRaces

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's great. I'm sorry to see that Initiative 591 looks like will not pass though.

What's the Seattle Prop. 1A &1B, and Seattle Prop. 1A&1B for?

Initiative 574 was for MORE gun background checks...591 was the one that restrict it. So i.e. Gun control lobby wins.

I don't live in Seattle, so I don't know the about the 1A vs 1B provision that well, but basically it's which option do you want for preschool/early education. It's actually really confusing! Basically unions support 1A and Seattle Council supports 1B.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024924778_preschoolqaxml.html

Alba

Record Breaker
Initiative 574 was for MORE gun background checks...591 was the one that restrict it. So i.e. Gun control lobby wins.

Yeah, it was for certain firearms restrictions. I guess better something than nothing.