State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season | Page 25 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season

CutieP

On the Ice
I freaking love that girl!!:love: She's so cute and fierce...what a combination! Of course she smiled when she saw the camera was on her. It doesn't look "put on" or fake...she was waving to the fans. Why try to make something negative about that? Some people...:disapp:

Well, actually I feel like I probably would have made the same mistake Ekm made, if I hadn't observed Lena's expressions extensively for a year. All her facial expressions are "over the top", but real.

I like to think of her like this: Lena does "over the top" well. She makes it look real, because it is real. That's why her "over the top" SP works. I think Averbuch and Maslennikkova understand this (in their own way at least). So, I think we'll see interesting choreographies in the future as well:)

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I freaking love that girl!!:love: She's so cute and fierce...what a combination! Of course she smiled when she saw the camera was on her. It doesn't look "put on" or fake...she was waving to the fans. Why try to make something negative about that? Some people...:disapp:

It's rather hard on the skaters, isn't it?

One must not look too happy (Jason Brown). One must not look too unhappy (Ksenia Stolbova). One must not have a constant pageanty smile (Gracie Gold). One must not have a sudden for-the-cameras smile (Elena Radionova).

Somebody should write down the rules for the skaters so that they know exactly when, where, and the exact degrees of how much or little they should smile - and how to look and carry themselves on all occasions. And above all, of course, their conduct must not come across as fake and must be completely genuine at all times.

Ekm

On the Ice

I wasn't trying to make something negative of it, as I said in that moment it just seemed very off to me, milage varies obviously. As I stated before I think it is nice that she seems to genuinely enjoy skating, it wasn't a commentary on her personality, simply my observation of a moment in time.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It appears Elena and Liza are beyond reach for Ashley and Gracie, but the American girls should beat Anna.
I don't think Anna will place higher than #5 at the worlds.

I think anywhere between 3rd and 6th place is realistic for Anna (if she skates well). 3rd place I think is a fight between Ashley, Gracie, Anna, and Satoko. I don't think a US lady is locked for the World bronze like some others seem to. Anna and Satoko have less to lose, Ashley and Gracie will basically be trying to one-up each other AND hold off Anna and Satoko which is a lot of pressure, the way I see it they all have pros and cons.

Ashley:
pros - highest PCS of bronze medal contenders, best performer, comes in as US #1, impressive resume coming in
cons - most subject to edge calls, URs, 2foots, and low spin levels among bronze medal contenders. could find herself a ways back after the SP.

Gracie:
pros - second highest PCS of bronze medal contenders, high quality jumps, not UR prone, strong spins
cons - least consistent of the group, programs are not great, easiest FS jump layout of the group, history of cracking under pressure

Anna:
pros - high quality jumps, not UR prone, spins usually get levels, gaining momentum as season goes on, pretty consistent, high base values, pretty impressive resume coming in
cons - not the most animated performer, PCS variable and could hold her back, Russia #3 coming in, can be sloppy, smaller margin for error compared to Americans

Satoko:
pros - comes in as Japan #1, consistent, high base values, great spins
cons - can be UR prone, PCS could hold her back, jumps unlikely to get much GOE, smaller margin for error compared to Americans, less impressive resume coming in

So basically I think all 4 have a shot.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I think anywhere between 3rd and 6th place is realistic for Anna (if she skates well). 3rd place I think is a fight between Ashley, Gracie, Anna, and Satoko. I don't think a US lady is locked for the World bronze like some others seem to. Anna and Satoko have less to lose, Ashley and Gracie will basically be trying to one-up each other AND hold off Anna and Satoko which is a lot of pressure, the way I see it they all have pros and cons.

Ashley:
pros - highest PCS of bronze medal contenders, best performer, comes in as US #1, impressive resume coming in
cons - most subject to edge calls, URs, 2foots, and low spin levels among bronze medal contenders. could find herself a ways back after the SP.

Gracie:
pros - second highest PCS of bronze medal contenders, high quality jumps, not UR prone, strong spins
cons - least consistent of the group, programs are not great, easiest FS jump layout of the group, history of cracking under pressure

Anna:
pros - high quality jumps, not UR prone, spins usually get levels, gaining momentum as season goes on, pretty consistent, high base values, pretty impressive resume coming in
cons - not the most animated performer, PCS variable and could hold her back, Russia #3 coming in, can be sloppy, smaller margin for error compared to Americans

Satoko:
pros - comes in as Japan #1, consistent, high base values, great spins
cons - can be UR prone, PCS could hold her back, jumps unlikely to get much GOE, smaller margin for error compared to Americans, less impressive resume coming in

So basically I think all 4 have a shot.

Agree with most but Pogo has weak, uncentered spins IMO.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I said it before Adelina is done.
Agreed. I wonder if she has the desire to gut it out to 2018. Even if she wants to she may not even make the 2018 team with the compatriot competition she faces in the coming years. 2 of the girls are passing her by as I write this. I hope she is healthy and can skate well again but I feel it will be in exhos and TV shows like DWTS. I hope I am wrong but fear I am write. I only want Ade to be happy. She is a great girl.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agree with most but Pogo has weak, uncentered spins IMO.

That's why I said her spins usually get the levels, not that they were particularly strong or nice to look at. I mentioned sloppiness in the cons row ;)

Satoko and Gracie have better spins than Ashley and Anna. But Anna usually gets level 4 for her spins whereas for Ashley it can be a struggle. Satoko and Gracie usually get level 4 spins with high GOE, but they have other weaknesses.

I think it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agreed. I wonder if she has the desire to gut it out to 2018. Even if she wants to she may not even make the 2018 team with the compatriot competition she faces in the coming years. 2 of the girls are passing her by as I write this. I hope she is healthy and can skate well again but I feel it will be in exhos and TV shows like DWTS. I hope I am wrong but fear I am write. I only want Ade to be happy. She is a great girl.

I think Adelina will be great on DWTS, she's such an animated performer! I'm glad we will at least get to be seeing her around in the spotlight even if she doesn't continue to skate competitively.

Weathergal

Medalist
That's why I said her spins usually get the levels, not that they were particularly strong or nice to look at. I mentioned sloppiness in the cons row ;)

Satoko and Gracie have better spins than Ashley and Anna. But Anna usually gets level 4 for her spins whereas for Ashley it can be a struggle. Satoko and Gracie usually get level 4 spins with high GOE, but they have other weaknesses.

Whoops sorry about that--thought you meant just general sloppiness. But yes it will be interesting. I think Ashley has more mental toughness than Anna at this point in her career but not sure where Gracie falls in this.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

I wouldn't be so sure about Anna getting the spin levels... Her levels were a bit all over the place in the SP at Europeans (2, 3, 4). She's also the only person among the top contenders who's had a "spin meltdown" (LP at GPF). Her Biellmann has a 50% chance of travelling/difficulty attaining the position, while I've never seen Ashley look on the verge of falling out from hers. Anna could overtake Ashley on the spins, but it really depends on which Anna shows up.

Tutto

Record Breaker
That costume is wayyyyyy better for her than the caftan mess she's been wearing.

I didn't like that 'caftan mess' but after watching the ex I actually prefer a caftan on Lisa, that red dress makes her look shorter and bigger than she is, just my opinion

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I didn't like that 'caftan mess' but after watching the ex I actually prefer a caftan on Lisa, that red dress makes her look shorter and bigger than she is, just my opinion

For me, the sleeveless dress makes her arms look longer, which is a good thing because she uses her arms effectively. It also draws attention away from her bent legs.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
For me, the sleeveless dress makes her arms look longer, which is a good thing because she uses her arms effectively. It also draws attention away from her bent legs.
I have issues when Liza wears long sleeves like this (awesome performance, underwhelming outfit). But I think the craftan actually enhances her arms and fits with the softness of her movements.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I have issues when Liza wears long sleeves like this (awesome performance, underwhelming outfit). But I think the craftan actually enhances her arms and fits with the softness of her movements.

:love: Liza in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena... I remember it well!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Liza's LP "caftan" is actually quite a sexy cut of costume. About half of the bodice is sheer and Liza's showing some side boob. So I really don't think her dresses are meant to cover her up, I think they just fit with the theme of the music she chose for her programs this season. The costumes bugged me earlier in the season but now they've grown on me, they make her lines softer and really show off the dance quality Liza has in her steps. So while not everyone's cup of tea, I think the Mumu dresses are effective.

Barb

Record Breaker
Liza's LP "caftan" is actually quite a sexy cut of costume. About half of the bodice is sheer and Liza's showing some side boob. So I really don't think her dresses are meant to cover her up, I think they just fit with the theme of the music she chose for her programs this season. The costumes bugged me earlier in the season but now they've grown on me, they make her lines softer and really show off the dance quality Liza has in her steps. So while not everyone's cup of tea, I think the Mumu dresses are effective.

I think exactly the same :yes:, if she wanted cover up she would not picked transparencies.