Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
it was to me psusanne. I remembered how stellar she was before her retirement... even in 1988, she was being outskated technically... but still was able to hold on to gold by a system that was going to change drastically.... and when she came back in 1994, with barely only 2 triple jumps in her arsenal, it was to me, embarrassing on multiple levels... 1) she was not even the top ranked of her own country. 2) she was held up by the judges 3) even if we forgive her for lack of technical content, the performances themselves weren't fabulous.

That's what I mean
I want to comment your 3 points:
1) isn't embarrassing. Happens all the time. I'm sure f.e. Mao wouldn't embarrass herself this season if Satako would beat her this year at Japan Nationals.
2) maybe, but is it embarrassing for Katarina? No.
3) Well, it's not that everyone was doing 3Lz-3T back then, more like 3Lz-2T in the short, she did a 3T-2T. And yes, she doubled a couple of her triples in the long, but who cares? She knew before that she wouldn't win a medal and her performance level NEVER dropped. The crowd seemed to be very pleased, that must count for something.

I don't care much about shows, I like watching competitions. It's something about seeing an athlete trying to do his/her absolute best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
your opinion is just as valid as mine... so let's happily agree to disagree! Cheers!
I want to comment your 3 points:
1) isn't embarrassing. Happens all the time. I'm sure f.e. Mao wouldn't embarrass herself this season if Satako would beat her this year at Japan Nationals.
2) maybe, but is it embarrassing for Katarina? No.
3) Well, it's not that everyone was doing 3Lz-3T back then, more like 3Lz-2T in the short, she did a 3T-2T. And yes, she doubled a couple of her triples in the long, but who cares? She knew before that she wouldn't win a medal and her performance level NEVER dropped. The crowd seemed to be very pleased, that must count for something.

I don't care much about shows, I like watching competitions. It's something about seeing an athlete trying to do his/her absolute best.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
that was... embarrassing... especially since she was held up high after the SP... but times have changed.. it's no longer 6.0.... and ladies back then only had to perform 1 triple jump and be competitive as of course, they did the combo, the 2 axel and a double jump....

it was no more embarrassing than chan coming back without a technical coach.... he'll be held up by the judges no matter what in PCS... but without a triple axel... he wont contend... im afraid...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I get the impression Kim would hire someone to Tonya Harding her before consenting to return to competition.

you men Tonya herself right?

And yes... i think she might at this point, which is sad because I suspect there is pressure on her to come back, get three spots for 2018 and skate in the team event in 2018.

I hope we don't see her pull a Plushenko, but it would not surprise me.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
your opinion is just as valid as mine... so let's happily agree to disagree! Cheers!
Yes, of course. I just think that we have a different perception of what's embarassing. Peeing in a pool containing that chemical so that the water turns red is imho, but competing without a 3Lz isn't. That brings me back to Carolina: the way she brought her 3Lz back was great! I really admired her for that, losing an element an gaining it back with that quality is admirable.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

And yes... i think she might at this point, which is sad because I suspect there is pressure on her to come back, get three spots for 2018 and skate in the team event in 2018.

The difference, of course, between Yuna and Plushy being that Plushy does his crazy comebacks of his own free will, and because he wants to.

RABID

Final Flight

You don't give her much credit, do you? Yuna isn't coming back, no way, no how. It wouldn't surprise you? Well, it would surprise me... immensely.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You don't give her much credit, do you? Yuna isn't coming back, no way, no how. It wouldn't surprise you? Well, it would surprise me... immensely.

That actually makes me happy to hear. I suspect the Korean federation might still do some begging, but if she wants to stay retired (as it appears) I certainly hope she is stubborn to tell them to go away and not come back (well maybe less polite, but this forum is polite).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm he landed his 3A in Quebec and had a step out on it in JO... so he has a triple axel... and tbh, his "dance coach" is the woman who helped him learn his quad and it is under her that he beat the world record.. so I am not worried.
it was no more embarrassing than chan coming back without a technical coach.... he'll be held up by the judges no matter what in PCS... but without a triple axel... he wont contend... im afraid...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ermmm he landed his 3A in Quebec and had a step out on it in JO... so he has a triple axel... and tbh, his "dance coach" is the woman who helped him learn his quad and it is under her that he beat the world record.. so I am not worried.

In the interest of facts. Isn't Christy Krall the one that taught him the quad?

(Also why are we talking about Patrick in a thread about Carolina?)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

ermmmmm............................ he actually did a 2A in the Quebec competition............... he doesnt have his 3A back if he hasnt landed it clean............... and tbh, this documentary credits christy krall as the woman who helped him learn his quad.......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBUMs9kkk8

and that coach he beat the world record with....................................... also coached him to stepping out of his 3A at the olympic short................... and bombing his long....... so theres that........................

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i read on the forum that Kathy Johnson showed him ballet videos and that it was what got him his quad.

I was talking about Carolina ;) someone else aka gravy brought Chan in the picture.. you can ask him/her why? No idea why :)

PS.. you are right... he did a 2A... sorry... OMG... sorry... I made a mistake ;) was so excited by his brilliant comeback that I forgot he didn't try the axel but he did the quad .

now let's go back to Carolina... i have no intention to discuss Patrick here.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

The same reason people are talking about Yuna and that Russian guy. :hijacked:

Back on topic: I'm ready for Carolina to bring us timeless programs backed up with massive headcase performances. Drama! :drama:

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I still support Caro no matter what. Yes, she made a mistake, but she loved someone and wanted to protect him. She never doped herself. Also, I got the impression that Caro had wanted to retire after Sochi so the sentence wouldn't really matter, but since she was banned from from training and some shows as well... Seemed unreasonably harsh. It would be great if she came back.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm in the camp that Carolina should just stay retired. I don't think she'll ever win a World Championship - particularly with some of the ladies that are out there now. I'm sorry she got caught up in this stuff with her boyfriend and that she was probably humiliated by the results, but like Jeremy Abbott......it's time. And yes I know that's something they personally have to decide but ...............JMO

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I would REALLY REALLY like Carolina to come back >> REALLY REALLY CURIOUS just to see how the field will be played out.

After Mao did her BIG BOSS IS BACK mini worlds pep talk at home, only Carolina can shakes things up a bit. I want to see more BIG BOSS fighting it out. Especially curious on the unpredictable battle of the PCS.

Very best of luck to her whatever she choose. I actually think all these 'You are not allowed to skate anymore ban' may have awakened her competitive spirit. What better way to protest and brush it aside than deliver more great sporting results.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Just because you miss something, doesn't mean you should return to doing it.