Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects

moriel

Record Breaker
Actually hope that S/K work out, as they actually imho match better than I/K - both visually and their movement style, and russia has 2 great couples.
But worried as either their approach is messed up, or their PR is messed up (and that can backfire big time, for example if i was russian fed, id get annoyed at some point with his "picky" and "punishing us" talk, since there are other good couples and only 2 worlds spots, and they can easily take an equally good or even better couple that keeps their mouths shut)

bramweld

Record Breaker
Actually hope that S/K work out, as they actually imho match better than I/K - both visually and their movement style, and russia has 2 great couples.
But worried as either their approach is messed up, or their PR is messed up (and that can backfire big time, for example if i was russian fed, id get annoyed at some point with his "picky" and "punishing us" talk, since there are other good couples and only 2 worlds spots, and they can easily take an equally good or even better couple that keeps their mouths shut)

If I were Gorshkov, I'd give him a call quietly, he's doing himself no favours. Judges are people, not robots and if he continues to vent like this they will hold up the equally capable pair, whomever that might be.

Tanka

On the Ice
I have a feeling that Nikita and Marina adore each other blindly (as a coach and a skater) and Viktoria is just a tool they need for work. This girl seems the most reasonable of the three but they don't let her speak very often.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
TBH, he may have got funding but it would have been less than what he/Vika were accustomed to because they weren't on the team. But they knew this going in. Why is this a subject for discussion? It's tasteless. Is any other team Russian or otherwise discussing these matters in public? I will always admire him as an athlete but I really hope he begins to mature, soon.

I believe Dylan Moscovitcz spoke about his funding situation, but in a more matter-of-fact way. He knew that there would be problems with having a new partner who needed permission to skate for Canada (and initially, didn't even have permission to be in Canada). He didn't sound so darned entitled!

peg

Medalist
I believe Dylan Moscovitcz spoke about his funding situation, but in a more matter-of-fact way. He knew that there would be problems with having a new partner who needed permission to skate for Canada (and initially, didn't even have permission to be in Canada). He didn't sound so darned entitled!

A big difference is that Dylan never made it sound like the lack of funding was due to the fact that his federation did not support the new partnership. He was quite explicit about the fact that it was because Lubov had not yet been released. And when he was using his savings to cover their costs at first, it always came across like he was doing it because he really believed in the partnership, not because he was some sort of victim.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nikita is hilarious, complaining about having to practice before 11:30 am and cooking his own food! Is he serious? Kind of funny to read all this. Somehow I don't think Elena was the spoiled lazy one in that partnership...

moriel

Record Breaker
Nikita is hilarious, complaining about having to practice before 11:30 am and cooking his own food! Is he serious? Kind of funny to read all this. Somehow I don't think Elena was the spoiled lazy one in that partnership...

He didnt sound so much complaining, more like a spoiled kid telling his "achievements"
Come on, he is 23, and he is telling "omg i´m even learning to cook" and "omg i´m waking up early". Actually just hilarious hehe

elif

Medalist
Hilarious thing is nobody asks Katsalapov questions we all want to know about. All we read is cooking and sightseeing and how wonderful they are bla bla bla bla.... :disapp: Another interesting thing is according to him, we all know he is going to skate with Sinitsina before him. :laugh: Because I'm pretty sure it was at least 2-3 days before worlds there was articles. And after the worlds even Zoueva said how wonderful Ilinykh/Katsalapov are. Many dance coaches and dancers talked about this too. If you believe him he just ask Sinitsina after the worlds and she accepted. Simple:laugh: I sometimes wonder If he and Zoueva really thinks skating fans are stupid to believe lies like that.. :rolleye:

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
He didnt sound so much complaining, more like a spoiled kid telling his "achievements"
Come on, he is 23, and he is telling "omg i´m even learning to cook" and "omg i´m waking up early". Actually just hilarious hehe

Maybe that's why Ashley thinks Russian skaters have it so easy ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Yes, amazing accomplishments. Normal kids who go to public schools learn how to get up around 6 am by the time they are in middle school, so around age 10-11, less than half the age of Nikita. Also for all the kids out there who have 2 working parents, learning to cook for oneself/the family is something you also learn how to do as a child, out of necessity. Good job Nikita, you're 10+ years behind the curve, keep it up!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
His interview just shows that he's still a little immature ... and I guess he wouldn't have ditched Elena if he wasn't. That was no smart choice. Life will give him a lesson sooner or later and it seems to start right now. He has to learn to cook, look after himself and Victoria in a foreign country without the sports infrastructure that seems to be very good in Russia. Dealing with the consequences of your choices is a great way to mature. I'm really curious about their programs next season.

uhh

Medalist
I'm really curious about their programs next season.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sounds like Marina learned from last year - he & she have said in various interviews that they've worked on all the elements and put it together, and now they have lots of different music to choose from to go with it. That's completely the wrong way round to do it, and it's exactly what screwed V/M with their FD in 2013-14. How can it be any kind of coherent program if you're not letting the music lead what you do?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
How can it be any kind of coherent program if you're not letting the music lead what you do?
Maybe if they've already decided the mood of the program? But I agree with you, it should be done the other was around.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Maybe if they've already decided the mood of the program? But I agree with you, it should be done the other was around.

They are a young team so maybe the traditional approach may pose more of a challenge for them. But given how difficult it was for them last season with TES, I imagine they will be recycling a number of elements namely lifts, spins and twizzles. So with Marina's help they should look much improved this year if they can synchronize their technique.

legjumper

Rinkside
I've started wondering if perhaps Nikita is just a poor competitor and has a hard time keeping it together mentally for the three or four minutes that he needs to. He made so many mistakes in competition during his years with Elena. Those were easy to explain away because of all the rumors that I/K had a bad work ethic. But last season, when he was supposedly training nonstop, he still made a lot of errors, large and small. Sure, you could chalk those up to the newness of the S/K partnership, or Zueva's lack of drilling the levels, or, as the new party line seems to be, "he just wanted it too much" - the fact remains that Nikita has very few outstanding competitive performances on his resume after years of competing. I'll be happy to be proven wrong if S/K come out this fall and nail everything, but until then, I've got to wonder....

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
They are a young team so maybe the traditional approach may pose more of a challenge for them. But given how difficult it was for them last season with TES, I imagine they will be recycling a number of elements namely lifts, spins and twizzles. So with Marina's help they should look much improved this year if they can synchronize their technique.
Makes sense, but I don't want to see that busy spread eagle lift and the lift where he looks at her crotch ever again. Not Marina's best work ... that's why I think she didn't give them her best, she knew they wouldn't shine in their first season together.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I've started wondering if perhaps Nikita is just a poor competitor and has a hard time keeping it together mentally for the three or four minutes that he needs to. He made so many mistakes in competition during his years with Elena. Those were easy to explain away because of all the rumors that I/K had a bad work ethic. But last season, when he was supposedly training nonstop, he still made a lot of errors, large and small. Sure, you could chalk those up to the newness of the S/K partnership, or Zueva's lack of drilling the levels, or, as the new party line seems to be, "he just wanted it too much" - the fact remains that Nikita has very few outstanding competitive performances on his resume after years of competing. I'll be happy to be proven wrong if S/K come out this fall and nail everything, but until then, I've got to wonder....

I believe its gone beyond something to wonder about and become fact. Not getting the world sd tech minimum is actually very much in line with I/k constantly getting level 1 and level 2 level lifts. Seems like he can't do lifts and other technical elements under stress most of the time. This is probably why Elena had her best ever Grand Prix season and best ever russian nationals with zhiganshin.