Interesting spin positions | Golden Skate

Interesting spin positions

dress

On the Ice
Biellman, carolina zang's pearl spin

I hate de butt High spin we often see in the men's competition

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I like the catch foot spins where they hold the blade with the opposite hand and the leg in the attitude position. like this

I hate the haircutter though!

ETA: I also like the Y-spin

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
My 2 favorite spins:

The I Spin - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/2012_World_Junior_FS_Julia_Lipnitskaia.jpg

Sasha's layback, Sasha had the best use of her hands during this spin which made it so much more elegant: http://www.iceskate.net/skater%20pix/cohen/sasha_cohen_short_us_natl03_by_amy_conn-gutierrez_apphoto.jpg

My least favorite spin, that I would fully sport a ban on this spin or at least a 3 point deduction for the use of it...
The A Spin -http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f5jP02gxLmo/TM4aX7Rvg8I/AAAAAAAAAJk/onA0h6bUJJ8/s200/nobunari+oda.jpg

leolion11

On the Ice
The pearl spin into a biellmann is probably my favourite spin position. This one is really nice too. I also like a nice camel position without the free leg being a 'dead' free leg. OTOH, I hate the donut (idk why it just looks weird to me) and the A spin.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I like the cannonball position a lot, a well executed I-spin is always nice, Sasha Cohen's will always be my favourite, her final combination spin in her 2006 Olympic LP is probably one of my favourite combination spins, her positions were always so perfect, her scratch spin variation that she does at the end of her Swan Lake LP is also amazing (can you tell who my spin queen is?)

Also I really love this particular upright position that Mao Asada does in her combination spin here, she starts with a camel, Y-spin, sit variation and then into another upright variation, I don't know the name if that position but it's one of my favourites

aa456

On the Ice
I like the cannonball position a lot, a well executed I-spin is always nice, Sasha Cohen's will always be my favourite, her final combination spin in her 2006 Olympic LP is probably one of my favourite combination spins, her positions were always so perfect, her scratch spin variation that she does at the end of her Swan Lake LP is also amazing (can you tell who my spin queen is?)

Also I really love this particular upright position that Mao Asada does in her combination spin here, she starts with a camel, Y-spin, sit variation and then into another upright variation, I don't know the name if that position but it's one of my favourites

Mine too! I had never seen it before. definitely brought freshness to an already beautiful program.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Joshua Farris has a new catch foot camel half biellmann variation that i think can best be called Rocky victory fist meets "you will never beat me at twister" that I am just in love with.

I don't love the three rapid change of blade grab so much, but the final outcome is wonderful. I love to see him maybe incorporate the other grabs more seamlessly, because I love the final twist over fist position.

leolion11

On the Ice
Joshua Farris has a new catch foot camel half biellmann variation that i think can best be called Rocky victory fist meets "you will never beat me at twister" that I am just in love with.

I don't love the three rapid change of blade grab so much, but the final outcome is wonderful. I love to see him maybe incorporate the other grabs more seamlessly, because I love the final twist over fist position.

That's a really nice spin! It looks great. I adore half biellmanns so I thought that was a really nice position for Joshua.

makaihime

Final Flight

Reminds me of the spins Adelina and I think Elena? does :yes:

noskates

Record Breaker
Have said it before. The Bielmann spin is nothing but butt ugly. No pun intended. The position is awkward, the view is not exactly pleasing, and not everyone even looks comfortable doing it. The other one I don't like is when the man leans all the way over and grabs his ankle. Makes me think there is a doctor somewhere with a gloved hand. Sorry for the graphic but this is another ugly spin.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have said it before. The Bielmann spin is nothing but butt ugly. No pun intended. The position is awkward, the view is not exactly pleasing, and not everyone even looks comfortable doing it. The other one I don't like is when the man leans all the way over and grabs his ankle. Makes me think there is a doctor somewhere with a gloved hand. Sorry for the graphic but this is another ugly spin.

Are we twins, noskates:biggrin: In the Tano thread, I said I watched Denise Bielmann do Bielmanns, then they were just ugly. Now they're fugly. And that the butt spin is fugly too. And the I spin is ugly.

Next post, the antithesis of fugly.

willdu

On the Ice
A good classic layback ala sasha cohen is always great. I think catch foot is nice depending on speed and what the free hand is doing. I really liked Sasha's I spin and Mao's Y spin but I am not a fan of Julia's I. Something just looks off about it, like its off axis or something. However, I think my favorite spin positions are simple ones that are not often seen in competition today.

Sasha's Forward Scratch: http://youtu.be/NwzzAhW6FHo?t=2m2s

The one that Mao did was nice. A similar one by Mirai: http://youtu.be/rSxzN3Aga9g?t=46s. I think that the IJS needs to switch a spin to a choreo spin much like the choreo step sequence so we can see some of these simpler spins again.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My monthly posting of Toller. This short shows what spins should be(remember back then, shorts were plenty short, since school figures came first.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AZboQ0R08 :love: The LP isn't bad either, but the SP is one long gorgeous spin sequence.

From this to butt spins....:scowl:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's called an A-spin. Doris pointed out some time ago that its nicknamed the Uranus spin :slink:

I don't like all Beillmans but I do like most. We have quite a few girls at my rink that do them and some are quite impressive. The cool thing is and maybe it's because people's flexibility is so varied but everyone seems to do them a little different from each other. Different grabs, different angle, different speed, etc.

Radionova does the best ones these days. Of the juniors Zhenia and Masha come to mind. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Polina have a really good Beillman?

My favorite spin position today is Yulia's Camel spin at the beginning of her combination spin.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Favourite position: Layback with the arms behind the back/crossed on the chest and free leg low to the ice.

Others I like: Pearl spin, Y-spin, 'Yuna camel,' a well done haircutter or Biellmann, the catch-foot camel done by Adelina and recently Joshua Farris, headless scratch spin, a good old fashioned camel with a well-extended free leg...

Basically, I like many positions, as long as you perform them well. :) The only position I dislike in principle is A-spin.

Last edited: