2015 US Nationals TV and Webstream Schedules | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals TV and Webstream Schedules

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ETA, handy-dandy reference links:

The link for Sun Jan 25 for the IceNetwork backstage stream (for which a paid IN subscription is NOT required):
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v37129379 (again, for Sun -- the link has changed each day)​

At times, Skate Radio live audio commentary combined with video of the judging process in action (but not of the skating) has been available on the IN backstage channel.​

Live streaming (video only; no audio) from a fixed cam showing the secondary rink:
http://live1.brownrice.com/clients/wfmy21.html
http://www.wfmynews2.com/sports/figure-skating/ (same stream is embedded on WFMY skating page, as of Jan 21 ... don't remember seeing it there before??)​

Color-coded matrix schedule, including practices:

Practice groups:

The USFS press release that summarizes all Nats coverage from IceNetwork and NBC (this GS post has all the details below):

This USFS Competition Central page has links to the IN schedule, the NBC schedule , the color-coded matrix schedule, and the listing of practice groups.

For those juggling viewing of Canadian Nats and U.S. Nats, someone has tweeted a calendar integrating the schedules for both events.

Ice Network coverage schedule from the IN event page and viewer's guide:

For competition coverage (paid subscription required), Icenetwork's announcing team in Greensboro: Mike Mancuso (play by play), Charlie White, Ben Agosto, Michael Weiss, John Coughlin, and Tonia Kwiatkowski.

(All times are Eastern. Schedule is subject to change.)

Saturday, Jan. 17
(Main arena)
9:35 a.m. - Intermediate Pairs Short Program
1:00 p.m. - Juvenile Girls Free Skate
2:30 p.m. - Juvenile Pairs Free Skate
5:35 p.m. - Juvenile Boys Free Skate
7:20 p.m. - Intermediate Men's Short Program
8:45 p.m. - Intermediate Ladies Short Program​
(Secondary arena)
10:45 a.m. - Juvenile Pattern Dance
3:05 p.m. - Intermediate Pattern dance​

Sunday, Jan. 18
(Main arena)
6:10 p.m. - Novice Pattern Dance
8:55 p.m. - Novice Ladies Short Program​
(Secondary arena)
12:50 p.m. - Juvenile Free Dance
2:55 p.m. - Intermediate Men's Free Skate
4:40 p.m. - Intermediate Ladies Free Skate​

Monday, Jan. 19
(Main arena)
1:30 p.m. - Novice Pairs Short Program
3:25 p.m. - Novice Men's Short Program
5:05 p.m. - Novice Ladies Free Skate​
(Secondary arena)
10:15 a.m. - Intermediate Pairs Free Skate
12:00 p.m. - Intermediate Free Dance​

Tuesday, Jan. 20 (Main arena)
9:30 a.m. - Novice Free Dance
11:35 a.m. - Novice Men's Free Skate
6:05 p.m. - Junior Pairs Short Program​

Wednesday, Jan. 21 (Main arena)
1:50 p.m. - Junior Men's Short Program
3:35 p.m. - Novice Pairs Free Skate
6:15 p.m. - Junior Short Dance
8:20 p.m. - Junior Ladies Short Program​

Thursday, Jan. 22 (Main arena)
11:00 a.m. - Junior Pairs Free Skate
4:35 p.m. - Senior Pairs Short Program
7:50 p.m. - Senior Ladies Short Program​

Friday, Jan. 23 (Main arena)
10:30 a.m. - Junior Men's Free Skate
12:35 p.m. - Junior Free Dance
2:45 p.m. - Junior Ladies Free Skate
5:15 p.m. - Senior Short Dance
8:15 p.m. - Senior Men's Short Program*
*The on-ice recognition ceremony for the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame Class of 2015 will take place Friday, Jan. 23, during the senior men's short program and be streamed live for Season Pass subscribers.​

Saturday, Jan. 24 (Main arena)
10:45 a.m. - Senior Free Dance (Groups 1 & 2)
12:30 p.m. - Senior Pairs Free Skate (Group 1)
7:00 p.m. - Senior Ladies Free Skate (Group 1)​

Sunday, Jan. 25 (Main arena)
2:00 p.m. - Senior Men's Free Skate (Groups 1 & 2)​

Those senior groups not shown live on icenetwork on Saturday, Jan. 24, and Sunday, Jan. 25, will be televised live on NBC. (Scroll down to the end of this post for the schedule.)
Video of the portions aired on NBC will be available on-demand ONLY starting Tuesday, Jan. 27, at noon ET.

The Smucker's Skating Spectacular will be available on-demand ONLY starting Tuesday, Feb. 3, at noon ET.​

In case anyone needs the event website's schedule page (which as of Jan 14 has a link to the detailed schedule):

ETA:

IN's free "Backstage Live" coverage is available without a paid subscription (see backstage link at the top of this post):

In addition to broadcasting the competition, icenetwork will provide FREE behind-the-scenes video to all registered users beginning Thursday, Jan, 22.
This coverage will include live segments from the icenetwork ICE Desk, interviews, technical analysis, special features, press conferences and more.

Tanith Belbin and Weiss will alternately serve as hosts of the ICE Desk.
The rest of icenetwork's backstage team will consist of White, Agosto, Coughlin, Ryan Bradley and YouTube personality Michael Buckley.
Once the competition is over, icenetwork will provide still more backstage coverage, as Coughlin and Bradley will take viewers behind the scenes during the Smucker's Skating Spectacular (Sunday, Jan. 25, at 7:15 p.m. ET).

"ICE Desk" Live Streaming Schedule (All times are Eastern. Schedule is subject to change.)

Thursday, Jan. 22
• Prior to the opening ceremony at approximately 6:45 p.m.
• Prior to the ladies short program at approximately 7:30 p.m.
• Following the ladies short program at approximately 10:45 p.m.​
Friday, Jan. 23
• Prior to the short dance at approximately 5 p.m.
• Prior to the men's short program at approximately 7:45 p.m.
• Following the men's short program at approximately 11:15 p.m.​
Saturday, Jan. 24
• Prior to the pairs free skate (groups 3 & 4) at approximately 2 p.m.
• Prior to the ladies free skate at approximately 6:30 p.m.
• Following the ladies free skate at approximately 10:50 p.m.​
Sunday, Jan. 25
• Prior to the men's free skate at approximately 1:40 p.m.
• Following the men's free skate at approximately 5:50 p.m.​

eta, NBC broadcast coverage:

2015 Prudential Figure Skating Championships
(all times Eastern, check local listings, subject to change)​

The two preview shows will feature "athlete profiles, event analysis and competition highlights," per the NBC press release.​

Sat Jan 17 (new) :)
5 - 6 p.m. Preview Part I: Ladies, Ice Dance (incl. interviews with Wagner and Gold, and a Belbin report on top ice dancers)​

Sun Jan 18 (new) :)
3 - 4 p.m. Preview Part II: Men, Pairs (incl. a profile of Nathan Chen)​

Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015
3-6 p.m. (Live) Pairs free skate + Free dance
8-11 p.m. (Live) Ladies free skate​

Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015
4-6 p.m. (Live) Men's free skate​

Sat, Jan. 31, 2015
2:30-4 p.m. Smucker's Skating Spectacular​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Breaking news ;):

NBC has ADDED two hours of preview coverage for Nats.

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
(ETA: all times Eastern, check local listings, subject to change)​

May wonders never cease.

See the OP of this thread for the full NBC schedule.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And NBC will be airing the Gala.

2015 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
Sun Jan. 31, 2015 ... 2:30-4 p.m. ET NBC

Check your local station listing for exact times.
The printable version of the schedule had said 4 - 6 p.m.

Because of this, icenetwork says
The Smucker's Skating Spectacular will be available on-demand ONLY starting Tuesday, Feb. 3, at noon ET.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Breaking news ;):

May wonders never cease.

Previews? Sounds like and opportunity for Johnny and Tara to have air time. I wonder how much skating they will show.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well they just sent out a tweet showing a pic of Jason Brown being interviewed with the preview being mentioned. So we should at least have one interview with a current skater with new content. With luck they will be looking at other skaters. I think it would be a tad uncomfortable if they only interviewed Jason.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well they just sent out a tweet showing a pic of Jason Brown being interviewed with the preview being mentioned. So we should at least have one interview with a current skater with new content. With luck they will be looking at other skaters. I think it would be a tad uncomfortable if they only interviewed Jason.

Thx, Stitch Monkey. Gracie and Ashley are probably also givens. Maybe the Shibs? (and C/B, since they probably can't do the Shibs without the competition. As Jason is the leading US man by results right now, they could stop with him). I would fall over if they interviewed a pairs couple, but stranger things have happened.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx, Stitch Monkey. Gracie and Ashley are probably also givens. Maybe the Shibs? (and C/B, since they probably can't do the Shibs without the competition. As Jason is the leading US man by results right now, they could stop with him). I would fall over if they interviewed a pairs couple, but stranger things have happened.

Thx, Stitch. I share your hope that new interviews with other skaters are being taped as well. Incl. other men, as far as I am concerned.
(Whatever is not used for the preview shows will be bankable footage for possible clips for the live broadcasts of the free skates and FD. For example, a relevant soundbite from Max, Josh, Ricky, and/or Jeremy could come very much in handy if one of them is leading after the SP.)

I must say that I don't understand the earlier naysaying in this and other threads against the NBC preview shows.
Everyone always complains (justifiably) that NBC does not give nearly enough air time to skating.
But when it adds two hours, the initial reaction overwhelmingly was knee-jerk cynicism that the previews could not possibly be worthy of our attention. I don't get it.

My view is that almost anything would be better than nothing. And until proven otherwise, the glass looks half-full to me as an opportunity for NBC to provide substantive bkgd for its live Nats coverage.
For example, I hope/believe that NBC will devote some preview time to the previously-neglected pairs and ice dancer disciplines -- in preparation for its live coverage of the Pairs FS and FD. I mean not only fresh interviews with at least one pair and with the Shibutanis, but also excerpts of previously-unaired pairs SPs and SDs from GPs, for instance.

If nothing else, I hope that the preview hours serve as good promotion for the live broadcasts.

(To me, the only scenario that would be worse than nothing is two hours of Weir/Lipinski chattering nonstop about their own wardrobes and themselves. In the tweeted photo, it looks as if a producer is asking Jason the questions. No chance there of Weir or Lipinski finding an excuse for self-promotion.)

Last edited:

Carolla5501

On the Ice
So how do you feel when you get two hours of Johnny and Tara asking other skaters about their costumes?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should clarify that I did not mean (and I see that my OP could be read that way) that NBC *should* stop with Jason, just that they may feel that they *could* stop with him as the best known/top American man.

I also agree with you, Golden, that we should take this as a glass half-full opportunity. I would love if they would talk to Alexa about her love for cats. Or even just talk to Alexa. And those of us who remember Wide World of Sports and the ABC Olympics, the "Up Close and Personal" segments were great marketing. Why would I watch bobsledding? Who cares about bobsledding? Jamaican bobsledders, now we might watch!

I have no great love for Johnny and Tara, but I do not despise them either. If talking about their outfits brings eyeballs to American skating programs, bring 'em on.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Another preview pic for those interested: https://twitter.com/taralipinski/status/554019073646788608

If I had to guess, I'd say the "previews" will be Johnny and Tara introducing clips of performances and interviews, with some commentary interspersed. And I agree with el henry and golden411 - if Johnny and Tara attract some eyeballs on a lazy Saturday, and then those few extra people watch Nationals coverage the following weekend, that's a win.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

The plot thickens :shocked::

USFS has deleted the tweet that was in Stitch's post. What the original tweet had said:
@USFigureSkating
.@jasonbskates being interviewed for @NBCSports #NC2015 preview show! Don't miss it on Jan. 17 and 18!
9:57 AM - 10 Jan 2015​

USFS has sent a new tweet (with the previous photo of Jason being interviewed) that says instead:
‏@USFigureSkating
.@jasonbskates will be featured on Jan. 25 during the men’s program on @NBCSports! Will you be watching?
1:00 PM - 10 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/554019954274476033

The preview hours still appear on the USFS television schedule:
But I wonder whether the original tweet was a premature reference to the preview hours. It had crossed my mind from the beginning that it was odd for the first "announcement" of the preview hours to come in the form of an understated allusion in a tweet -- instead of a formal press release.​

Another preview pic for those interested: https://twitter.com/taralipinski/status/554019073646788608

If I had to guess, I'd say the "previews" will be Johnny and Tara introducing clips of performances and interviews, with some commentary interspersed. And I agree with el henry and golden411 - if Johnny and Tara attract some eyeballs on a lazy Saturday, and then those few extra people watch Nationals coverage the following weekend, that's a win.

But now I am thoroughly confused :confused2: that the Lipinski tweet was sent and still exists. Thx for flagging it, Hyena.

In case it disappears later, what it says exactly:
@taralipinski
@AshWagner2010 giving us a fierce look. Preview show in the books Tune into @NBC nxt Sat & Sun @USFigureSkating
Los Angeles, CA
12:56 PM - 10 Jan 2015​
(the attached photo shows W/L in front of a big monitor displaying an Ashley Wagner image)​

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Maybe they decided at the last minute to include the interviews (or that interview specifically) during the competition and not the previews?

I'm starting to think we need a prediction game for the preview shows. :laugh: 5 points for identifying the disciplines featured, 10 points for each individual skater you identify, and 15 points for identifying who will be interviewed!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I must say that I don't understand the earlier naysaying in this and other threads against the NBC preview shows.
Everyone always complains (justifiably) that NBC does not give nearly enough air time to skating.
But when it adds two hours, the initial reaction overwhelmingly was knee-jerk cynicism that the previews could not possibly be worthy of our attention. I don't get it.

My view is that almost anything would be better than nothing.

In agreement that premature evaluation of the "preview show" is unfounded, since we do not know for certain the content of the broadcast yet.

Also, in agreement to a lesser extent that "anything is better than nothing", although I personally take issue with that type of scarcity mindset when applied towards pretty much anything. Sure, if you're homeless and starving, any food is better than nothing. I would hope that the situation with figure skating is not quite that dire in the minds of folks here, or in reality, but perhaps it is...

If folks never voiced their dissatisfaction over what they view to be a sub-par product/service, it is very unlikely they will receive anything better in the future. Although, beggars cannot be choosers... and maybe we are beggars here? :confused2:

As someone who has watched all of NBC's coverage of figure skating this season (and even dissected parts of it to great lengths in another thread here), I simply cannot proceed this year with a glass half-full outlook. NBC has not given me any hope that their coverage will take a sudden 180 degree turn and provide us with fresh/interesting coverage for this event, although it is certainly a possibility. Maybe the fact that this is U.S. Nationals will mean that NBC will gladly devote more time & budget to this particular event, comparatively speaking. That would be wonderful if that ended up being the case, and I would love to have a positive outlook for NBC's coverage of figure skating going forward, but if the past is any indication of the future -- it is difficult for me to be overly optimistic.

Just wanted to add a bit of explanation here, golden411, since I am one of those folks who have been skeptical of NBC's upcoming broadcasts this year. And while it is wonderful that NBC is "adding two hours" of air-time, there's no implication that this additional time will actually be devoted to new/unseen figure skating programs. Since the main events at Nationals are yet to begin, my assumption would be that NBC would be re-airing old clips of past performances. While there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with that, I would prefer to see something fresh, or even have those 2 hours of air-time added to the actual Nationals coverage, or added to another upcoming event, or used it to air SPs, ID, & Pairs during the weekend of the actual events occurring, rather than re-airing them months/years later...

That is just my humble opinion. Maybe I am being too demanding, living in an unrealistic world, putting the cart in front of the horse... I am not a casual skating fan...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe they decided at the last minute to include the interviews (or that interview specifically) during the competition and not the previews?

I'm starting to think we need a prediction game for the preview shows. :laugh: 5 points for identifying the disciplines featured, 10 points for each individual skater you identify, and 15 points for identifying who will be interviewed!

Maybe you are right about a last-minute re-thinking of when the interview will air. Could be that, or an honest mistake re the purpose / air date by the person tweeting on behalf of USFS??? Or maybe not??? ...

Latest, greatest tweet of the saga:
@jasonbskates
Thanks @nbcsports 4 coming out 2 Colorado! The piece will air Sunday the 25th during the #NBC broadcast of #NC2015!!
3:05 PM - 10 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/554051308475252738 (attached photo of Jason presumably with NBC's producer and crew)

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
golden411, thanks for the play-by-play of all these communications, especially when some of them mysteriously disappear...

It is interesting. I wonder if NBC was still undecided about what footage is being aired on which weekend? Also, I am curious if any interviews or fluff pieces we may see during the preview show may end up being re-aired during the weekend coverage of Nationals?

Just thinking out-loud...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Breaking news ;):

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships

May wonders never cease.

I just happened to be scrolling through the TV schedule to setup a DVR recording for these NBC Preview shows on the 1/17 & 1/18:

For anyone who plans to DVR the 1/18 Preview show (such as myself), please take note that this program immediately follows the conclusion of NBC's live coverage of the NHL game between the NY Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins. As an NHL fan, I can tell you that there is a decent chance that the ending of the hockey game could potentially run over the 3 p.m. start for Nationals Preview.

NBC will not cut away from a live NHL game until the event has concluded.

In the event this occurs, my assumption would be that NBC would begin the Preview coverage from the beginning, and then the program would run over the expected 4 p.m. ending time. To be safe, I would extend the ending of your recordings, or even set your DVR to record the following program (to pick up any late coverage).