An interview w/ Yuna Kim from KB Magazine | Golden Skate

An interview w/ Yuna Kim from KB Magazine

cooper

Medalist
translation c/o inspiration (ynkf)..

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=618777&page=1

Thanks for posting this interview, Ghita. It shed lights on what Yuna have been up to. I don’t have time to translate the entire interview, but here’s a quick translation of some of the quotes and takeaways.

Q—how have you liked this winter so far—the first one since you retired? What have you been up to?
A—“I have been going to the Taereung rink almost every day. As a graduate student, I’ve spent some time at school, and when I had time, I visited junior skaters training at the Taereung rink. I’ve been doing this since the past summer. I usually watch how they skate and then give them some advice and tips on things that they need to address or pay more attention to. It doesn’t mean I act like their coach; since they have their own coaches, I rather just have some talk with them at the side without disrupting their training session. It’s more out of these relationships built from the years when we trained together than anything else.”

Q—thoughts on still being around at the rink. Do you feel like being compelled to stay because you love it so much; or you have had it enough by now?
A—“I have no strong feelings one way or the other. It’s not as if I ‘m sticking around because I’m too much used to it. It’s just fun to see how others doing , and this is something I have liked since a long time ago. So before I got to hang up, I was thinking about hanging out at the rink, and to the extent that I could, helping and mentoring other skaters. Such a run-of-the-mill thing to me. I have enjoyed doing it so far, and felt rewarding as those skaters are doing well.”

Q—what are the big changes in your life now?
A— “Of course, there have been some changes. Pain-free physically; that’s a big change. It feels great. (Skaters) are an athlete, who always needs to be mindful of their body even when they don’t train. So you never get off the hook from things like what you eat, lingering pains, and being restless in general. I used to just get busy going to bed after training, but I now have much freedom in my life. Isn’t it really a big thing? I feel like I’m now living a very different life than before, (laughing).”

Q—what are your future plans?
A—“I cannot say for sure, but my life will likely be linked to figure skating in some way. What’s encouraging is that things are more looking up (in Korean figure skating). I’ve met many talented young skaters, and felt excitement and empathy—because I know what’s like—at the same time. I hope these young skaters carry through. I’m very thankful that they are doing this much great. As someone who’s been there, I will do what I can to support them; that includes passing on what I learned from my international competitions.”

Q—how could you reach the top of your field?
A—“I take it as a job and that’s not really different than something an office worker would do I think. Though it might look more intense and demanding because everything happens in the nick of time on the ice. If something differentiates me from others. Well, I think it’d be more about getting back on the track; not my zoning-in ability per se. For instance, (a skater) tends to fumble through once that skater makes a mistake. A quick rebound is quintessential, so that you can stop that mistake from crushing the whole performance.
I think I am quite simple-minded, not really overthinking several things at a time, so I guess I was able to let that slide and rebound quite well. I think living “now” mentality is very important. I didn’t get ahead of myself into some distant future when I competed. One step at a time. Once I get this done, then the next step. That’s how I focused on what I was doing at each moment without thinking way too far ahead. Of course, I myself felt unsure about things a lot too, and this mindset helped me through.”

Q—what are your goals now?
A—“whatever I do, live my life joyfully. I think I’m quite happy with my life now.” Yuna added that she would get a driver’s license (finally) and would feel happier as more people hopefully start caring more about the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018.

finally she will get her driver's license!!! :laugh:

cooper

Medalist
What an uplifting interview! I especially love the part where she has so much faith in the young skaters. It's really sweet that watching them do well is rewarding for her (how many athletes would say this like that?!).

i think yuna may still feel the responsibility of continuing to support figure skating in korea..

skaterr

On the Ice
"I think I am quite simple-minded, not really overthinking several things at a time, so I guess I was able to let that slide and rebound quite well. I think living “nowmentality is very important. I didn’t get ahead of myself into some distant future when I competed. One step at a time. Once I get this done, then the next step. That’s how I focused on what I was doing at each moment without thinking way too far ahead. Of course, I myself felt unsure about things a lot too, and this mindset helped me through.”

We can learn a lot from her indeed. :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thank you cooper! great interview, she seems realy in peace with her decision to retire but still being involved with younger skaters, helping them anyway she can is admirable, wish her good luck on her new path :clap:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Thanks for the interview ^^. It really makes me feel happy to see Yuna living and enjoying her life more than ever . Best wishes to her ;)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
she graduated already.. she's in graduate school and studying sports marketing..

I said she's a grad student, which means she's in graduate school, and the Korea Times tells me she's studying physical education but she will also learn about sports marketing, sports philosophy and sport psychology

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm so happy Yuna is finally able to rest a lot and do whatever she likes. I heard she binge-watches Korean dramas because she doesn't like waiting for the next episode. That's so cute. :)

Good luck on your studies, Yuna!

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
What an uplifting interview! I especially love the part where she has so much faith in the young skaters. It's really sweet that watching them do well is rewarding for her (how many athletes would say this like that?!).

Not only that, but I love how she goes so far to say she's thankful that she's doing this great. God knows they should be thankful for her! The humblest champion.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
She will be dearly missed on the competitive ice, and seemingly no one capable to step up to fill her place yet (if that were even possible)...

But glad to see that her life continues on in such a positive way, and she still has a lot left to give to the sport of figure skating.

Last edited: