Keegan Messing skating for Canada? | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing skating for Canada?

Skatingfan1

Rinkside
While watching US nationals I noticed he was not skating :mad: then I went to check the Canadian results and noticed he came in 5th place. They stole him. :shocked: any thoughts or info

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Please don't use such alarming headline.

Keegan skating for Canada was announced and discussed in this forum quite a while back.

eta. Just to clarify, I was referring to the original thread title: Keegan Messing is missing.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not sure who this skater is, but I doubt we "stole" him! I notice quite a few of our skaters who have dual citizenship are skating for Canada. It would have been this skater's choice, one would think.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Not sure who this skater is, but I doubt we "stole" him! I notice quite a few of our skaters who have dual citizenship are skating for Canada. It would have been this skater's choice, one would think.

Keagan is from Alaska.

A few great Canadian talents have skated for the US too, e.g. Tanith Belbin and Mervin Tran.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Canadians are very welcoming; they are a mosaic of unique individuals and cultures to form one nation. This way they can keep their identity. The USA is a melting pot. A unique bending of a mixture into one. Keegan I am sure was looking for a better opportunity to skate internationally and Canada's men aren't nearly as competitive as the US - right now. I mean look at Mervin Tran - he switches countries like his underwear - depends what feels best or is best for him.

peg

Medalist
Keegan holds dual citizenship, so it's not like someone like Mervin Tran who changes countries and would need to get citizenship to compete at Olympics. He's already a citizen. The commentators on the livestream I was watching said that when he was watching the Olympics he heard that no Canadian male has ever won Oympic gold and thought "Why not me?" Not sure how much truth there is in that - I suspect he just figured he had a better shot of getting to Worlds or Olympics by skating for Canada. And he did make the national team.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've watched Keegan for several years now and have to say that given the depth of the men's discipline in the US I don't think he would ever have had a chance to podium. I wish him luck in Canada.

Plisskin

Medalist
There's a lot of depth in the U.S. right now and Keegan at best is a middle of the pack skater there. And middle of the pack don't get a lot of shots to skate internationally. Keegan probably switched because Canada's men are less competitive than the U.S. and he has an easier shot to get more international assignments and get to the top in Canada.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Keegan finished 5th at his first Canadian nationals and therefore has made the national team and will get funding.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan finished 5th at his first Canadian nationals and therefore has made the national team and will get funding.

I'm happy for him. We can question national loyalties all we want, but these skaters have to actually pay the bills to continue in their sport in a serious way.

I hold no grudges.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Keegan holds dual citizenship, so it's not like someone like Mervin Tran who changes countries and would need to get citizenship to compete at Olympics. He's already a citizen. The commentators on the livestream I was watching said that when he was watching the Olympics he heard that no Canadian male has ever won Oympic gold and thought "Why not me?" Not sure how much truth there is in that - I suspect he just figured he had a better shot of getting to Worlds or Olympics by skating for Canada. And he did make the national team.

I thought that too when the commentator said that, lol.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Anyone knows why he's skating with ladies skates with black bootcovers? Noticed it in practice and in the long (bootcovers had holes in them)

gmyers

Record Breaker
His skating is not proper american style like but its also not really Canadian either. Hes hoping he can be successful in what was the land of stojko.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan is a great guy. I'm glad he made the Canadian team, since he'll have many more opportunities than he could have had if he continued to skate for the US.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He has dual citizenship. He wasn't doing as well in the US but saw an opportunity in Canada. That's very enterprising and he's able to access opportunities he may not have in a deeper field. Hopefully he can get enough funding to pursue his dreams. So far it has paid off, he came close to making worlds / 4CC teams. As Tamara Moskvina once asked at SLC, "What controversy?"

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Anyone knows why he's skating with ladies skates with black bootcovers? Noticed it in practice and in the long (bootcovers had holes in them)

Huh, I didn't catch this. I guess they might fit better? Of course, provided he doesn't have too irregular of a foot, custom-fitting boots are entirely achievable nowadays, but if a certain size fits him well enough in w/e brand & it just so happens to be labeled as a 'Women's' skate then... :confused2: why not wear it?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Keegan is a pretty small guy, right? So maybe he finds better fit in Ladies boots. I wonder if Kevin Reynolds has tried that.

nadster

Final Flight
Keegan is a pretty small guy, right? So maybe he finds better fit in Ladies boots. I wonder if Kevin Reynolds has tried that.

I remember shopping at Tall Girl for shoes ( BTW , I am not tall only 5 foot 4 but have a size 10-1/2 foot with a really narrow heel ) and seeing guys who happen to have 2A width heels shop for penny loafers.