The Mrs. P baby thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Mrs. P baby thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Stupid question, Mrs. P:
- How do you pronounce Mai? Does it rhyme with the first syllable of Saigon?​

My simplistic way of explaining is to say it's similar to the pronoun "my." But as I said, I don't have a great command of the speaking aspect of Vietnamese, and someone like thoakun could probably a more nuanced way of saying it. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My simplistic way of explaining is to say it's similar to the pronoun "my." But as I said, I don't have a great command of the speaking aspect of Vietnamese, and someone like thoakun could probably a more nuanced way of saying it. :)

:cool: Thanks, Mai. My previous uncertainty had been over the very basic dichotomy of "my" vs. "may" -- which I think partly explains why I continued to think of you first and foremost as Mrs. P. Even though I never had a reason to say your name out loud, I didn't want to silently mispronounce Mai in my head, if that makes any sense at all. :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
If we ever all had a real life meet up, the real names would have us so confused :laugh: We'd need my screen name is:______, but my name is _____ tags!
Btw, since I'm on a roll with my Euro Pairs predictions ;) I'll guess boy.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
Mrs P - my heartfelt congratulations!

CaroLiza_fan
Personally, I have often thought that using both surnames would be perfect for mixed-race families. It would be a good way of acknowledging the heritage of both sides of the child's family.

LOL - not for us - our Asian name is so long, that when the kids were learning to write it, it took up 2 lines on their school papers. If I added my surname to it, there would have been mutiny! :D

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
If we ever all had a real life meet up, the real names would have us so confused. We'd need my screen name is:______, but my name is _____ tags!
Btw, since I'm on a roll with my Euro Pairs predictions ;) I'll guess boy.

^
:laugh2:

Congratulations Mrs. P! Can't wait for the GS baby shower :biggrin: Maybe we can do baby boy/girl prediction:drama: The prediction game has totally taken over my thought!:laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
HAHA. We sure love prediction games around here.

Anyway to answer your question:

Cats
Cars (hybrids, Ford, etc.)
Kitchen Gadgets
Star Trek
Archer
Movie comedies
Marketing
James Bond
Jazz/Big Band standards
1970s ballads
1990s alternative rock
Legos
Apple products
1970s sitcom and comedies (i.e. Hawaii 5-0, Rockford Files, etc.)
Mrs. P :)

Hubby has great taste. :) Although admittedly I am more of a dog person than a cat person. He'd love my sister, who has enough kitchen gadgets to open up a restaurant chain (I should know--I spent last weekend organizing her kitchen for her).

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks iluvtodd and everyone for the continued well-wishes! :)

Hubby has great taste. :) Although admittedly I am more of a dog person than a cat person. He'd love my sister, who has enough kitchen gadgets to open up a restaurant chain (I should know--I spent last weekend organizing her kitchen for her).

I will let my husband know of your compliment. :)

Also just wanted to give an update for anyone who cares. I went to the doctor and got an ultrasound (21 weeks). Everything is looking nice and healthy.

Also I wrote this on my Facebook page:

"21-week ultrasound moment: Baby P. faces me, gives me a "Buddy Christ" gesture with its little hand.
Not sure what that's an indicator of. Maybe he or she (no, we're not finding out the gender) will love Kevin Smith movies? Who knows."

So it's already showing a little personality. At least to me! :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.. Also just wanted to give an update for anyone who cares. I went to the doctor and got an ultrasound (21 weeks). Everything is looking nice and healthy.

Also I wrote this on my Facebook page:

So it's already showing a little personality. At least to me! :laugh:

:yay: Good health and a good personality. Thx for the excellent news. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
HAHA. We sure love prediction games around here.

Anyway to answer your question:

Cats
Cars (hybrids, Ford, etc.)
Kitchen Gadgets
Star Trek
Archer
Movie comedies
Marketing
James Bond
Jazz/Big Band standards
1970s ballads
1990s alternative rock
Legos
Apple products
1970s sitcom and comedies (i.e. Hawaii 5-0, Rockford Files, etc.)
Mrs. P :)

:hb: :clap: :cheer:

Hot dang -- great news; congrats, Mrs P! Wishing all of you the very very best of everything!

As for that list of Mr. P's favorite things, some interesting name possibilities in there. My fevered imagination has gone into overdrive w/ ideas, so maybe I'll post a few later... :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I'm dying ot know your name guesses, folks! :)

Actually, I wanted to bump up this thread to ask for your suggestions on how to pick things out for a baby registry. Sorry to sound like a dunce, but picking out baby stuff is really foreign to me. Doing a wedding registry was much easier since I was more acquainted to kitchen gadgets and appliances. :biggrin:

So far we've gotten a few things given to us: A car seat, A breast feeding pillow, a bouncy chair thingy and a electronic toy thingy (as I said, I'm not exactly up to snuff on the terms, LOL).

Also since we're not finding out the gender, how should we best make requests? I was thinking of requesting people NOT give us any clothes since that's where the gender differences lie. Or should I specify colors I want instead? Or pick out a theme for the nursery (I'm still in the cleaning out the room process.:laugh:)

It looks like I'm going to have at least 4 baby showers (one with family, one with friends and our work showers), so I probably need to get cracking on this registry stuff ASAP.

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
Mrs. P, you can always choose clothes of neutral colours, such as yellow and green. In fact, the first clothes I wore were my father's (and I'm female) :hijacked:

I have no experience with baby showers, the only baby among my relatives being born in another state, but I would start thinking about things you would like to pick yourself and crossing them off the list. Seems insane, but maybe someone will end up giving you something that wasn't exactly what you expected, even with the request.

Make the nursery theme figure skating :biggrin: There are quite a few themes that can be used for both genders: Animals, teddy bears, etc. Of course, Mr. P may want to make the room like a Star Trek ship, but that is between you two :)

My guess is still a girl. Have you decided on a name? I suggested Katarina, but later you mentioned wanting a vietnamise name.

Good luck!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One of the walls currently has vintage automobile wallpaper, a throwback from Mr. P's childhood (it is his old room). So I've been half tempted to do a steampunk theme. ;)

Also I'm open to both Vietnamese and English names at this point (chances our our kid will have both).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
One idea i heard about as a gift that I really liked and some parents liked (full disclosure not a parent, but liked the idea) was that someone got a bunch of the things in the baby medicine isle and packed them up in a diaper bag. Basically, avoid having to run out in the middle of the night for **** with a screaming child at home, and just give a DIY baby's first aid kit of sorts. I see nothing wrong with registering for that type of stuff. Again not a parent, but just go down the isle and see what sets off alarm bells. With luck, your baby won't need it, but it's the type of stuff that you may find yourself very happy to have. You could also ask your doctor what they like/dislike for ideas. If the doctor is going to say "Use X for a fever" well just register for it. I am of a practical mindset, so I like the idea of stuff like this for gifts no idea if you or your circle are the same.

As for clothing, just don't worry about it. People will do what they want, just let them. Who knows what will suit your baby, just accept the gifts graciously in the spirit they were intended. Unless you are trying to avoid explaining your choice to not know the gender. . . that is a whole different issue.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Actually, I wanted to bump up this thread to ask for your suggestions on how to pick things out for a baby registry. Sorry to sound like a dunce, but picking out baby stuff is really foreign to me. Doing a wedding registry was much easier since I was more acquainted to kitchen gadgets and appliances. :biggrin:

So far we've gotten a few things given to us: A car seat, A breast feeding pillow, a bouncy chair thingy and a electronic toy thingy (as I said, I'm not exactly up to snuff on the terms, LOL).

... It looks like I'm going to have at least 4 baby showers (one with family, one with friends and our work showers), so I probably need to get cracking on this registry stuff ASAP.

Not a mother, but that won't stop me from making suggestions ;):

- Have you thought about what kind of stroller you want?
A gazillion different models are available, and some can be pricey, so it could be a good group gift -- if several work friends, for example, pool their money.
It would be hard for them to read your mind as to which one exactly you want, so registering for the one of your choice would be doing them a favor, I think.
There are some that are designed for joggers to use, so mom or dad can take baby along for a run.

- Will you be needing a breast pump?
- Baby bottles?

- A lot of parents like a baby sling (the Bjorn brand is well-known, for example) for carrying baby around for a walk, etc.

- Nursery furniture: crib, changing table, rocking chair, etc.

- A mobile to attach above the crib. Fun to see baby following the moving mobile with her/his eyes.

- If you're going to go with disposable diapers, those Diaper Genie things are popular, I think? (Designed to keep the odor of used diapers in check, AFAIK. But not so environmentally friendly?? -- if that would bother you.)

- Things for showing baby photos. Digital or old-fashioned frames. (Maybe old-fashioned photo albums and/or scrapbooks, if they happen to be up your alley?)

(Off topic P.S.
I thought of you when I saw that the Westminster winner was named Miss P. Cute beagle. :))

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the suggestions, golden. :)

Yes, my husband's work shower will likely be a pool gift + small items, so your suggestion re: a stroller is a good one. And yes, I'm definitely looking at jogging strollers. :)

The crib is taken care of thanks to my awesome father-in-law, who decided to put his woodworking skills to work. I'm really excited that he's invested so much of his time to make us a crib...it really looks wonderful from what I can see.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm not a mom (probably never will be) but I've taken care of a lot of babies in my short life. :p

There can never be enough baby face towels. -Those soft towels you throw over your shoulder when you are burping a baby. Lots and lots of those.
And if your baby is going to be born in a hot season, lots and lots of light under clothes that can just be tied at the hip. Really easy to take off.
Tiny nail clippers.
Mobiles
Desitin or any anti-diaper-rash cream.
Many diapers these days have a nice line at the back that shows up blue when the diaper is wet. I love that. No need to have to squeeze a diaper anymore
A baby sling that offers good lower back support. -Needs to be comfortable for you to wear.

Fun to have as the baby grows:
-Chewable baby books. Made of fabric or other non-toxic substances, of course.
-Gadget board to hang on the side of the crib, with mirrors, baby abacus etc.

Beware of:
Noisy toys or toys that have 'music' make sure you can stand the noise it makes before it becomes your baby's favorite toy in the world. Heheh.
Stuffed Animals. Newborns have very little use for stuffed animals, so they just sit and accumulate dust. Better to have them after they've grown a bit.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Beware of:
Noisy toys or toys that have 'music' make sure you can stand the noise it makes before it becomes your baby's favorite toy in the world. Heheh.
Stuffed Animals. Newborns have very little use for stuffed animals, so they just sit and accumulate dust. Better to have them after they've grown a bit.

With many of those toys you can find the speaker and put tape over it. Mutes it enough to keep adults sane, but kid still gets to enjoy it.