Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year | Golden Skate

Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year

desertskates

Medalist
For some of our favorites, the season ended with their National Championships, and we're now getting a really good feel of which skaters can works lyrics, and who can not. What would you like to see some of your favorites change as they go back to the drawing board?
For me, I would really like to have a reason to love Gracie Gold's skating, but this years program really left me cold. She could do well with something jazzy.
Anyone like to share your ideas?

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'd like to see Gracie do more vibrant, fun programs too, as I think she really doesn't let her personality shine when she skates. Her exhibition programs are MUCH more her style :yes:

Of course I want Yulia to come back stronger next season. Broke my heart to see her this year :no:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see Liza use her arms a little less and use her body and momentum more for her choreographic features. :slink:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Enough Phantom of the Opera!! It has been DONE. It IS done. Full stop.

I don't think we'll see too many next season as a result of the overuse this time around :p

Something 'new' will probably take it's place as Most Used Music Choice :drama:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To try use Broadway songs that are less common in skating. Like from "Wicked," "Rent," "Cats," "The Lion King," "Hairspray," "Pippin," "A Chorus Line," etc....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Enough Phantom of the Opera!! It has been DONE. It IS done. Full stop.

YES, this is #1 for me. I never want to hear it again, ever! :disapp: And no more whiny emo vocals! There is such a huge world of music out there to use, I just can't understand all the terrible choices.

Javier - cut back a little on transitions
Sergei - add a few more transitions, get better programs in general
Adam - get that 4lz stable and keep the momentum going!
Liza - try to go 1 season without wearing black, or caftans, or black caftans

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I'd like to see Gracie do more vibrant, fun programs too, as I think she really doesn't let her personality shine when she skates. Her exhibition programs are MUCH more her style :yes:

Of course I want Yulia to come back stronger next season. Broke my heart to see her this year :no:

Gracie's competition packaging is all wrong. She's a strong, dynamic, technical, energetic skater (like Tara Lipinksi), not a pretty pretty ice princess like her programs want her to be.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ruslena, must have two equally fabulous programs. Intricate transitions, interesting lifts, innovative step sequences and fabulous twizzles ; they have the skating skills to pull it off, I just don't know about the choreographers in their camp.

flying camel

Medalist
Leah Keiser - Look for a coach that can give her what she is missing. She needs better technique, confidence. She reminds me so of Alissa Czisny.
Samatha Cesario - She also needs to find a jump coach. At least she could spend her summers working with them.
Courntey Hicks - She needs to leave those two guys and find better all around coaching. She needs the works, hair, makeup, costuming.
Polina Edmunds - She needs to work on looking a mature 16 not 12 going on 13. Find a better dressmaker/stylist.
Hannah Miller - It may be time to leave Auntie for better coaching. Maybe Auntie has taken her as far as she can. She has nice presentation, but the jumps need work.

Last edited:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Yuzuru to rest and recover fully, say no to JFS 50 summer ice shows and get Buttle to choreograph the LP.

Last edited:

kalle

On the Ice
Coaching change for Sammy
Bigger jumps from Satoko
Mirai with new great programs and doing surprisingly well right from the start of the season
Julia and Sotnikova back to their best
Adam getting the 4Lutz consistent and even attacking a 4L/3T at some point
Wakaba dominating on the Jr GP circuit and working on a 3A
Kiira continuing her recovery and starting to land 6 triples program consistently

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
To try use Broadway songs that are less common in skating. Like from "Wicked," "Rent," "Cats," "The Lion King," "Hairspray," "Pippin," "A Chorus Line," etc....

:thumbsup:

Coaching change for Sammy
Bigger jumps from Satoko
Mirai with new great programs and doing surprisingly well right from the start of the season
Julia and Sotnikova back to their best
Adam getting the 4Lutz consistent and even attacking a 4L/3T at some point
Wakaba dominating on the Jr GP circuit and working on a 3A
Kiira continuing her recovery and starting to land 6 triples program consistently

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I want to see Gracie do a 1940s pinnup girl swing music number. I think her look would look really well as a 1940s pinnup. I also think that swing music might be a good balance of upbeat and fun and perky for her, but old enough and classic enough to be non-threatening and acceptable to Frank Carrol.

Alexa and Chris should do Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer From Cats!. That could be soooooo fun to play with. Heck the Shibs could do it for that matter!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Buttle choreographing Hanyu LP.
Sui/Han to bring quad throw
Adam Rippon to land 4lz in competition.
Jason bring quad

MiRé

Match Penalty
can we please go back to no lyrics? some are good, but the majority are....just plain awful :cry:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Make sure that if skaters pick songs with lyrics, that they can make their skating and choreography and how they present it enough so that the lyrics don't overpower them.

I'm a full-on supporter of lyrics, however the right song and right skater makes it work.

Some costumes can be a "less-is-more" costume. Like simple put it pops at the same time.