2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Pairs Free Skate Feb 1

StunninglyUnique

Rinkside
I know that I posted earlier in another thread that Stolbova seemed to have a bit of an attitude and that it bother me and so on. I went and saw the pairs free program today in Stockholm and here is my thoughts and opinions of Stolbova/Klimov: I don't feel (anymore) that Stolbova has a rude attitude, sure she has difficulties to conceal her feelings but we often forget that behind all those spins, jumps and lifts they are human beings, they are not super heros although that is what you would think after seeing figure skaters preform. I found myself respecting these two more after their program and actually realizing and seeing the pressure these two have on themselves and from the russian federation. I always saw Klimov as little lame because he didn't seem expressive, many times I also felt as if he was doing figure skating just because. Today I saw how much he cares about his preformens and I was able to feel how he somewhat feels. As for stolbova I understand her in a way, I don't believe anyone can understand skaters fully especially Russians skaters. I don't think Stolbova was really angry at Klimov as she did mistakes herself. These two had some mistakes and one really big mistakes, in Russia if you do bad your out! Their is so much feeling in me after seeing them that it is hard for me to put those feelings into words but all I can say is that I think we should try to understand their position before judging them.

After everything I found myself admiring them more than ever.

As for them being rude to the fans that came, this was a competition not a show or exhibition. This is work, strict work, they are representing a country, a freaking country!!!!!!!

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
I hope K/S stayed until 2018. Their program held me spellbound and considering what they've been through, their dedication to FS is admirable.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So happy for K/S! I love that FS. Can't wait to see the video.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
So happy for Yuko and Alexander!! They had been away from the podium quite a while and now they are back on top of it! Amazing performance and the quad salchow really deserved the marks it was awarded. Hope they repeat this in Shanghai.

Very nice for Valentina and Ondrej, seems like they enjoy skating together and Vale is ambitious on her new goals. Good job!

elif

Medalist
At least Margalio lost a olympic gold/silver/bronze medal in home ice. It was their last olympics, their last chance and they were very close. Klimov just lost a european gold (questionable even If they land throw 3S) which they will try to get next year. Stolbova's reaction is totally unnecessary. :disapp:

salchowx4

On the Ice
Klimov just lost a european gold (questionable even If they land throw 3S)

They received 6.5 points for their 3STh at GPF. The judges love it. They were 6.56 points behind first overall. Their PCS would have been higher without that awful end to the program, too. No question they would have won if they had done it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
We all know if both S/K and K/S skated clean, no mistakes, then S/K would win. Their PCS will be much higher since their elements have better quality. This is from someone who can't stand S/K's programs this season, especially that SP (seriously why that music and that costume?).

whatif

Medalist
Well on positive note, I hope this is a beginning of some great rivalry between the two teams in this Olympic cycle and judges start appreciating the differences of both teams equally.

lennicky

Rinkside
I really felt pity for fedor. i understand that ksenia and their coaches were disappointed and angry but this type of things happens in this sport and so, i missed some of them put a hand on fedor,s shoulder or say something to him.
To my mind, ksenia should watch vídeos about trankov and his partner tatiana. She never loses her smile and each time maxim failed (i can remember one FP in which he failed twice), she had a good word or gesture towards him.

elif

Medalist
Their PCS will be much higher since their elements have better quality.

You can't justify high program components with grade of execution. If there is nothing good to say about choreography or interpretation that should result as lower PCS. :disapp:

I know judges scores Duhamel/Radford and Stolbova/Klimov very high, high as Shen/Zhao. They didn't let go olympic inflation yet. They had to realize, there shouldn't be that big gap between D/R+S/K and rest of the pairs in terms of PCS. I'm glad Kavaguti/Smirnov also passed 70 PCS in FD and 33 PCS in SP. (very close to top score) It is something.;)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well on positive note, I hope this is a beginning of some great rivalry between the two teams in this Olympic cycle and judges start appreciating the differences of both teams equally.
Don't forget about V/T: imagine a scenario with K/S, V/T, S/K, T/M (and maybe one of the young teams) all competing for those three spots :love: (2016 nationals?)

eli60056

On the Ice
THIS.
especially the part about Megan and Eric.
For me, what sets S/K apart from anyone else, and even from V/T, is that fact that they don't apologize for anything that they do.
megan is megan, Tatiana is Tatiana - and ksenia sure knows how to be Ksenia.

In GPF 2012 tatiana supported Maxim after his mistake on the throw as well and ppl admired her for that. But TBH I think V/T's forgivness towards each oother has a lot to do with their personal relationship- something S/K don't share and therefore they get citicized quite often for "lack of connection".

The only thing I have to say is that I hope every pair will have S/K passion and confidence.

Let me put a novel idea out there: May be Tatiana and Maxim support each other the way they do because they are both mature adults and understand the core concept of pair skating-as Maxim says in one interview it is a team effort and therefore the mistakes are not his or hers, they are the team's mistakes. Everything else is a kindergarten level stuff. Amazing, isn't, that particular concept? But why stop with Tatiana and Maxim? Let's see another mature pair, who don't benefit from a romantic relationship: K/S. Most recently Smirnov supported her when she had problematic skates at GP and it was more than visible that he did not blame her in the least. I think that instead of being unapologetic for bad behavior the younger pairs could aim to actually learn from the masters not just about lifts and throws, but also about good manners. It has not stopped V/T from demonstrating all the passion and confidence one could wish for.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Surprised and saddened by Stoblova's response to Klimov. It was a freak accident - a caught toe pick or he hit a rut. So how about a little support for your partner? Next time it could be you.

Yuko and Alex were not perfect but that Manfred Symphony is powerful. Really looking forward to seeing that again at Worlds.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
finally watched the programs (only top 4 to be honest :D)
i dont understand ppl being so hard on Ksenia, it might seem easy for us to judge since we are not them, but they are working their whole life day in and day out to show good performances for like what, 7-8 competitions a year? and this was one of major competitions after worlds and they lost it with very small and costly mistake, we should cut her some slack, everyone is different, we cant expect them to respond the same way, besides until they learn their score yuka didnt smile either (and she has more experience and she is like 10 years older than ksenia) yet noone mentions her (i dont think she was disrespectful of something, just saying the facts, its totally understandable),i remember at GPF some of the fans were upset with yuzuru cause they didnt get the attention (??) they expected and called him names (not gonna go into that cause its pairs thread sorry for being off topic a little), just saying noone is perfect

anyway on the bright side, italian team was just amazing, i enjoyed them the most, loved the program and how elements are placed , once they have triple twist they are gonna be medal contenders, her competing all these years as single skater is really an advantage for her, that sbs lutz were amazing, hopefully they can include it their SP soon :love:

yuka and sasha were amazing despite small mistakes, deserved gold medal for sure! but their music seems repetetive and it bothers me a bit :slink:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
This was an exciting competition topped of with an amazing performance from Yuko and Sasha, this has to be one of the best Pairs programmes of recent years. It's great to see them back on top of the podium, hopefully they will do it also in Worlds. Their performance quality is so much better this year, the commitment to their roles is 100%. Sasha was not holding back, he should get a 10 alone for the stomping. The quad salchow was outstanding, the SBS jumps were the best I have seen from them, the triple twist is greatly improved. Yuko was upset coming of the ice but Tamara done her best to cheer up. The delight from the whole team when they realised they were first was brilliant.

I am a big fan of S/K but today they were second best. I was a bit worried from reading previous posts about Ksenia's behaviour but on watching it, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Of course she was disappointed and it showed but she is a highly driven athlete and failure is not an option. I liked this version with the English lyrics. They are amassing a big collection of Silver medals, hopefully it will be gold soon.

I was delighted for T/M they really bounced back from their disappointing short to show us what they can really do. I really like this programme and when it is skated cleanly it is brilliant, the audience really went and you could see that they were overjoyed as well. All their elements are so strong, the jumps, huge throws, great lifts. Hopefully they can now work on their consistency.

The real surprise for me was M/H, they delivered two amazing programmes. Valentina has really settled into pairs so well and they have greatly improved since the Warsaw cup. What I really liked was their commitment to the programmes, they really capture the theme. I think their Luztes are better than what D/R can do. I liked B/H, so was a bit disappointed to see them split but I am fan of M/H also.

I liked the second Italians and both German pairs (nice to see the Wendes coaching their one time rivals). Even though they came last in the free skate, I do like Y/G, not sure if they make can go to Worlds.

Last edited:

Naya

On the Ice
I did not realise K/S are so much liked by fellow skaters.
Soloviev says he was crying after K/S win. http://instagram.com/dmitry_solovyev/ and so did Bobrova.
Also, both Savchenko and Ingo.

I think veterans always will get their share of love. K/S are 33 and 30 and skate together since 2006 (?). They also had some really bad moments - the disastrous FS in Vancouver, 2012-2013 seasons were, more or less, a meltdown and, finally, Smirnov's injury last year. It must be so frustrating when you work so hard and the results just don't come, even more due things that are out of your control. I know they are inconsistent, but had a lot of bad luck too.

Last edited: