Aldridge, Eaton announce split after six years | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Aldridge, Eaton announce split after six years

SHA

Rinkside
Stepanova is 5' 6" but is very thin - probably no more than 100 lbs or 105 lbs. three of the top four ice dancers are about 100 lbs

Barb

Record Breaker
I realize this probably varies by country but I just would like to debunk the myth about medicine in the United States. There is no such thing as a general physician. Yes, there are people who practice as primary care physicians (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics), but these are also considered specialties. They require a residency of 3 to 4 years after medical school just like any other specialty. Again, I realize it may not be like this in other countries. While a person technically could go in to practice after doing a one year internship following medical school, it is generally not done. To be a board-certified physician, one must complete a minimum of a three-year residency. By calling someone a general practitioner in the US, you are actually insulting them (unknowingly) because they also have a 3 to 4 year post medical school residency just like physicians with other specialties. Try asking a surgeon about a medical (meaning, nonsurgical) issue, and many of them will stare at you blankly. They may be able to fix your knee, but they have no idea what to do about your sinus infection.

Oh, thank you, I did not know, but I understand if you finish med school in another country you only needs to pass the setps to practice in the US, or I am wrong?

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Oh, thank you, I did not know, but I understand if you finish med school in another country you only needs to pass the setps to practice in the US, or I am wrong?

If one graduates from a medical school in a country other than the U.S. or Canada and wants to practice in the US, they must first complete a residency in the specialty they would like to practice (even if they completed a residency in their home country). They must also pass the steps and pass specialty boards.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Stepanova is 5' 6" but is very thin - probably no more than 100 lbs or 105 lbs. three of the top four ice dancers are about 100 lbs

I think she must have grown in recent years. ISU bio says Papadakis is a strong 5'5" (166 cm) and in pictures from Europeans, Stepanova looks at least 2, maybe 3 inches taller. I think 5'8" is more accurate for her, she has been listed as 168 cm since debuting as a junior years ago.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think she must have grown in recent years. ISU bio says Papadakis is a strong 5'5" (166 cm) and in pictures from Europeans, Stepanova looks at least 2, maybe 3 inches taller. I think 5'8" is more accurate for her, she has been listed as 168 cm since debuting as a junior years ago.

If she's really 5'8" there is no way, even that skinny, that she's only 100 lbs. 110-115 would probably be more accurate.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If she's really 5'8" there is no way, even that skinny, that she's only 100 lbs. 110-115 would probably be more accurate.

I have no idea of her weight but I do think she is about that tall now. She towers over all the other ladies on the Euros podium.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
One of my former editors decided to quit journalism and went to law school in her 50s. She finished about two years ago and is now practicing. So it's definitely not too late!

I work for a Community College and am able to take classes for a small lab fee. I am taking advantage and obtaining a degree in business and I am 32. It's hectic with my kids but well worth it. You are never too old to work your mind:)

cptnhastings

On the Ice
This is sad for me. I, unlike 99% of the world, liked their programs the past two years. :( Anyway, if I had to pick one, I'd say I'm more of an Eaton fan, so I really hope he finds someone soon. They're both good skaters. And they usually hit the levels even if they didn't get good marks for them, so I think that's a great thing for both of their futures since that means they can easily get better. Best of luck to both.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good for you! But you are just a young person...I can almost remember 32....35 years ago....but you are right in that I believe that using the mind (as well as the body) does make quality of life better in our senior years....sitting in front of the telly mindlessly watching "I Love Lucy" re-runs is a good path to an early mental and physical dirt condo.....I admire those that can return to education, especially with kids to tend to, and better themselves...never stop learning....!

On the other hand, I still have nightmares about college....:shocked:
I work for a Community College and am able to take classes for a small lab fee. I am taking advantage and obtaining a degree in business and I am 32. It's hectic with my kids but well worth it. You are never too old to work your mind:)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I certainly have nothing against folks going to college at 30....I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but the ones I have known in my life tell me the road to becoming a doctor and then paying off all those loans is a long and arduous path....While it is fine for some to go to college at age 30, life tends to complicate things...marriage, family, debt, and then having a working life long enough to accrue the funds to retire make things more difficult..Take my primary care doc...she was able to pay off her debt by having a native American tribe take it on and then she worked for them for so many years, at low wages....she never had any kids and has a working, now retired husband....but she had to take care of some , shall we say "interesting" relatives and still can not retire like her husband....I am just saying that if Alex wants to be a doc and starts at 30, more power to him.....but the choice of continueing to skate, especially when your parents and family have sacrificed so much, vs going to school and making bucks and helping others, is not an easy one....

I really don't get the people on this forum who seem to think you can't get a college education when you're 30 for some reason, and that if you don't start college in your early 20's you're somehow doomed. This is just not true. I am not meaning to attack you at all Chris, I really like you and think you are one of the most reasonable posters here, but this is something I hear over and over than never makes any sense to me. You can't become a professional ice dancer at the age of 30 or 40, but you sure can become a college student then. No, you won't have the 'traditional' college experience, but not everyone needs or wants that. If they have dreams of being a doctor or something, they can do that when they are 35, it really is not the problem some people here seem to think it is. I always remember the people who were like Charlie White wants to go to law school! he must retire NOW to do it! I went to a tier 1 law school. At least 1/5 of the people in my class were over 30. A handful were much over 30. It didn't seem to hurt them any.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Back to the topic. It appears that Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber have spilt, as Daniel has a listing on ice partner search: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=5064

Moore/Klaber skated at the junior level, placing 4th for the last three years. They earned a few JGP medals.

Klaber (5'8") is probably too short for Alexandria Aldridge (5'4"). Holly Moore is just 5'2", so perhaps a possibility for Daniel Eaton (same height as Klaber at 5'8"). However it isn't clear whether Moore is continuing.

Lauri Bonacorsi is also on ice partner search. She had placed 2nd at the junior level in 2011 and 2012 with Travis Mager.
(http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=5029). She did compete for Italy with Francesco Fioretti. But per her IPS listing, she should be eligible to compete for the U.S. again by the fall of this year as she has not competed for Italy since Sept. 2014.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is interesting to me since I have always liked their ice presense. My friend C. who I sit with at times at nats likes them also (and skates in Michigan) wondered out loud if they would go on together...I think they have been skating nine years together?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I certainly have nothing against folks going to college at 30....I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but the ones I have known in my life tell me the road to becoming a doctor and then paying off all those loans is a long and arduous path....While it is fine for some to go to college at age 30, life tends to complicate things...marriage, family, debt, and then having a working life long enough to accrue the funds to retire make things more difficult..Take my primary care doc...she was able to pay off her debt by having a native American tribe take it on and then she worked for them for so many years, at low wages....she never had any kids and has a working, now retired husband....but she had to take care of some , shall we say "interesting" relatives and still can not retire like her husband....I am just saying that if Alex wants to be a doc and starts at 30, more power to him.....but the choice of continueing to skate, especially when your parents and family have sacrificed so much, vs going to school and making bucks and helping others, is not an easy one.... .

Lol none taken! I have a lot of students who are fresh out of high school and think I am nuts for voluntarily going back to school when I have a degree already and did the whole student loan thing. They look at me like I am nuts when I explain that I continue to take classes simply because it's available to me. And I remember being that age and it's funny when you get to look at how how you've grown:)

slider11

Medalist
I watched their nationals free dance performance again and I would call it uninspired. Ben Agosto kindly called some hesitation on entries to lifts and other lack of polish that you would expect better by January. This is no reflection on Alexandra as a woman but I think she is too "big" for Daniel. I don't mean fat or any other unkind word. She is just physically too tall and of a larger physical stature for Daniel. She needs a partner with at least a taller and more robust stature to handle her lifts properly. On the flip, this is no negative vibe to Daniel. There are many smaller female partners that would be well suited to him in size. I love his posture and presence on the ice. To add insult to injury I found the Gone with the Wind music and choreo just too cheesy and predictable. She was not Scarlet nor was he Rhett. And maybe it was just the frustration that this wasn't working anymore but the two of them just didn't look like it was fun.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So very true...one of my bucket list things for retirement was being able to monitor classes I was interested in at the local colleges....classes I never had time to take when I was going to University....well, once I retired I lost all my free time....but my wife and I did attend a great lecture at EWU on flying over the route of the great ancient lake Missoula floods in an ultralight fixed with HD cameras...imagine being able to attend one of Carl Sagan's lectures?
But back to the topic....
When one skates alone, it is a tough decision on when to go one with your life to the next chapter....but when one has a partner, assuming you like them, one should consider their wants and needs also.....

Lol none taken! I have a lot of students who are fresh out of high school and think I am nuts for voluntarily going back to school when I have a degree already and did the whole student loan thing. They look at me like I am nuts when I explain that I continue to take classes simply because it's available to me. And I remember being that age and it's funny when you get to look at how how you've grown:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New partner for Daniel Eaton:

Daniel Eaton, the 2014 Four Continents bronze medalist, and Danielle Thomas, the 2014 U.S. novice pewter medalist, announced that they have teamed up and plan to compete in 2015-16. ... Eaton and Thomas will train in Canton, Michigan, with Marina Zoueva, Johnny Johns, Oleg Epstein and Massimo Scali.

... Eaton and Thomas plan to compete at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships this summer. They will also attend the Chesapeake Open camp so judges can evaluate them.

Excerpts above from:

ETA, off-ice photo of the new partners, via @SarahandDrew:
And here is the new dance team of @Sk8rDanEaton and @D_Thomas099
9:48 AM - 17 Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/SarahandDrew/status/577874047284985856

BTW, a separate section of the same article says that Daniel Klaber will perform solo in April in Jordan Moeller's charity ice show.
So ... I guess DK has yet to find a new partner??

Last edited:

jwren

Rinkside
Huh. Daniel is a fair bit older than Danielle isn't he? I'll be interested to see how this partnership looks...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well that was fast. I was hoping for him to pair up with Rachel Parsons, but then again I guess she's doing pretty well with her brother, despite the lack of height differential. Plus she's from Maryland and still in high school so I guess moving could get tricky. Oh well. Good luck to Daniel & Danielle! (D&D lol)

bramweld

Record Breaker
She does look quite tiny, very flexible and light on her feet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wdvUgS69sDance is brutal. No other way to say it. A girls got to have a very thick skin, a very accomodating personality, a very understanding partner and the appropriate genes. Some things within your control the others you cannot. All the best to Alexandra as she contemplates her future.

There would be seven years between them, not too, too bad is it?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aldridge is skating with Matt Blackmer this weekend in Findlay, Ohio, in charity shows to which he has previous ties:
This year’s guest skaters include Matthew Blackmer, a Findlay native and Silver Blades alumnus who was a 2013 U.S. junior pairs champion. He will skate with Alexandra Aldridge, a two-time U.S. senior dance champion.
http://thecourier.com/family-news/2015/03/20/still-rocking-at-40/ (Mar 20)​

Does anyone know whether they have formed an official partnership to compete together?? As ice dancers, I would guess?? :think:

In recent weeks or months, I had seen previous social media hints (unrelated to these shows) that Aldridge/Blackmer have been skating together. (Plus he had relocated to the Detroit area not long ago.)

Blackmer's tweet's today:

Last edited: