Abbott in for another season? | Golden Skate

Abbott in for another season?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Not implying to anything bad but is the next season going to be his final FINAL season?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
There was a time back in 2010 when I loved Jeremy... now I respect his passion, but I wondered if he continue to compete isn´t it he being stubborn.

Looks like USFS has move on and is backing Jason Brown as their number one... Well I guess it is his life and I wish him the best whatever he decide to do...

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
It's not a hardship to keep watching him skate, but I feel like the script for the past several years has been "this year will be different." The desire is real but something's not clicking.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy is in denial. He's looking for that great final performance that will somehow get him on the World podium but now he's not even making the team and it will just keep getting harder as the young guys like Jason and Josh keep getting better and better and someone like Nathan Chen makes his presence felt.

makaihime

Final Flight
I don't see the harm in him continuing...I wish him all the best. Maybe he just needs that one special performance before moving on.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Actually, the article I read made it sound like he was moving on to shows and choreo, but wanted an "exclamation point". He didn't say he wanted that to be a World Medal anymore. Japan open maybe? It would be great if he got to skate for Sam Smith.

Actually, I see this as working with his agency to say he's available for shows.

Abbott got the men 3 slots this year, along with Max. The three they are sending will be pressed to keep 3 slots.

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Not implying to anything bad but is the next season going to be his final FINAL season?

He's beginning to remind me of Cher with all the retirement announcements :laugh:

But good for him. If he still gets more enjoyment than frustration out of competing, then that's what he should do. I mean, with some of the skaters I stan hardest for, top 15 is a cause for celebration!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually, the article I read made it sound like he was moving on to shows and choreo, but wanted an "exclamation point". He didn't say he wanted that to be a World Medal anymore. Japan open maybe? It would be great if he got to skate for Sam Smith.

Actually, I see this as working with his agency to say he's available for shows.

Abbott got the men 3 slots this year, along with Max. The three they are sending will be pressed to keep 3 slots.

Yes, the article is pretty vague on actual plans.

Also, the three guys we're sending also have a tougher field with Denis Ten and Yuzuru Hanyu there, two skaters who were not at Worlds last year. I think Jeremy would have been pressed to keep the slots this year also had he been able to get on the World team, given that the field on the whole (even without Chan) has a lot more depth, a credit to the improvements of several skaters, such as Misha Ge, who didn't even score well enough to make it to the Free Skate.

Last edited:

makaihime

Final Flight

Also, the three guys we're sending also have a tougher field with Denis Ten and Yuzuru Hanyu there, two skaters who were not at Worlds last year. I think Jeremy would have been pressed to keep the slots this year also had he been able to get on the World team, given that the field on the whole (even without Chan) has a lot more depth, a credit to the improvements of several skaters, such as Misha Ge, who didn't even score well enough to make it to the Free Skate.

Hanyu was at Worlds last year...and won. I'd say that last year was tougher with Machida and Javier delivering the way they did. This year, we have Hanyu who's injured and depending on the condition of his ankles might not even attend WC and Machida who's retired. Javier also had a minor injury and has been off his game the last few months.

Honestly speaking, have 3 skaters retain the 3 spots is easier than have 2 skater gaining 3 spots IMO

carriecmu0503

On the Ice

Yuzuru Hanyu certainly was at Worlds last year; he won! You could argue it will easier to beat him this year, with all the health issues he is having. Additionally, last year's silver medalist, Tatsuki Machida will not be there. So, while the field is deeper in some ways, it is less deep in others.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Except Jeremy was top 5 at Worlds just last season..and got the US 3 Worlds slots.

In a few weeks we may be wishing Jeremy was at Worlds this year.

My point is that Jeremy was competing against a weaker field. I argue this field is much tougher given that we have 2 strong Russians (Kovtun and Voronov; last year there was only 1 Russian there), improving skaters (Misha Ge, Nam Nguyen), along with the fact that the reigning Bronze medalist there.

I just realized that Yuzuru was there last year, duh. Thank you all for pointing out my folly. I blame my pregnancy brain. :laugh:

In any case, I think my point still stands. Though yes, you are all correct there were some factors that may make the field not as tough. Still it's a complete crapshoot.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was a time back in 2010 when I loved Jeremy... now I respect his passion, but I wondered if he continue to compete isn´t it he being stubborn.

Looks like USFS has move on and is backing Jason Brown as their number one... Well I guess it is his life and I wish him the best whatever he decide to do...

I get the sense that nobody has become the anointed one. Too many options with skaters coming into their own, developing quickly...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I get the sense that nobody has become the anointed one. Too many options with skaters coming into their own, developing quickly...

Totally agree with this. Until some of the former medalists retire or one of the top skaters pull ahead BY A LOT (i.e. Ashley/Gracie in ladies), there's always going to be 6-8 elite U.S. men in the mix for those top nationals spot.

To Jeremy's credit, he remained in the top 3 during the most of the quad (4th, 2011; 1st, 2012; 3rd, 2013; 1st 2014). Ross Miner was relatively consistent with top 3 placements 3/4 (3rd, 2011; 3rd, 2012; 2nd, 2013; 7th, 2014)

If you want to do a rolling average for 4 years (2012-2015) it looks like this:
Jeremy (1,3,1,5) - 2.5 placement average 75 podium rate.
Max (8,1,3, 4) - 4; 75 percent
Adam (2,5,8,2) 4.25; 50 percent
Ross (3,2,7,6) - 4.5; 50 percent
Jason (9,8,2,1) -5; 50 percent
Josh (16, 4, 4, 3) - 6.75; 75 percent
Richard (13, 6, 5 10) - 8.5; 0 percent
Stephen (NA,10,10, WD) - 10 (based on 2 placements); 0 percent

The only medalist from that period no longer competing is Armin Mahbanoozadeh (4th, 2012), who retired after the 2012-2013 season.

So Jeremy has remained consistent nationally, so yes he still could be in the mix. Max is probably the most unfortunate. His Nationals record is actually among the best, but had the bad luck of being the odd man out.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually like watching Jeremy skate :yes: I also don't think being a federation's number 1 is the most important thing to skaters. If a Jeremy thinks he can still compete and has a desire to do so then I support it. In whatever capacity he can.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The article is not a positive yes or no but it does lean towards him not being done yet. But as they pointed out in The Skating Lesson, Jeremy will be 30 and as you get older it gets harder to push and he has to push and improve if he hopes to keep up with the younger crop and the international field. This season hasn't been all that great for Jeremy. He didn't make the GPF and he didn't make it past Nationals.

I have my theories as to why he won't retire. But it his decision and if he can keep up with the standard than why not, I guess.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On a personal level, I feel for Jeremy. It is not easy to make a decision to retire, even at my advancing years:laugh2:, I can't imagine what it would be like at age 30. And although I still simply cannot get into Jeremy's skating, he has many fans who want to watch him and enjoy his skating and that is a good thing.

That said, Jeremy needs to define "on my own terms". Ice is slippery. "On my own terms" can't mean when I win a medal, or when I perform this program clean, or when I do this routine at this competition, or place here at that competition, because this or that may never happen. He needs a goal that he can actually control. Good luck to him in figuring that out!