Pick the music for your favorites | Golden Skate

Pick the music for your favorites

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we're winding down to the World Championships, but many of our favorites are getting ready to start building for next year.

I am absolutely certain that skaters, coaches, and choreographers everywhere are waiting for our input.

Arbitrary rule of the thread: You have to justify WHY you think they should skate to your selection.

I'll kick things off with a suggestion I've already made in Max Aaron's FanFest Page:

I want Max to skate to "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac for his short program next year.

It has a driving percussion beat throughout, a drum solo tailor made for footwork, and it builds in intensity with the addition of the USC Marching Band.

It's original, and it would suit his smashface style of skating. (Karne, if you're reading this, I used "smashface" just for you!)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They're not my faves but I kind of want Piper and Paul to skate to "Come on Eileen" for their Free Dance! Like I heard it a few days ago and thought it would be good for a FD and they were the first couple to pop in my mind on who to skate to it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My next suggestion is for Josh Farris.

Resurrect Brian Boitano's "Lincoln/Appalachian Spring" Olympic program music.

It's not original, but it has been 20 years, and I don't remember it being used since then. Brian never skated this program to it's maximum potential, and I think it's a masterpiece in the waiting.

It's grand and sweeping, a departure from the introspective programs from this season, but I still think you could do an amazing job with it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Javier - Ennio Morricone - "Ecstasy of Gold" - I want him to skate to something epic and not another comic program...he's good at those, but I want to see something else

Liza T. - Ara Gevorgyan - "Artsakh" - wouldn't be a radical change for her, but I just like the music and it's not overused like some pieces

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier - Ennio Morricone - "Ecstasy of Gold" - I want him to skate to something epic and not another comic program...he's good at those, but I want to see something else

Liza T. - Ara Gevorgyan - "Artsakh" - wouldn't be a radical change for her, but I just like the music and it's not overused like some pieces

Wow, I was unfamiliar with this piece and had to look it up. I was choreographing in my head as I was listening. This is an awesome choice!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu

LP
a) Last Samurai
b) Pirates of Caribean
c) Amélie :thumbsup:
d) Lion King :biggrin:
e) Hobbit :laugh2:

Choreo by Jeff Buttle or Lambiel ( :love: )

Javi:

LP to King Arthur maybe

diffrent choreographer than DW maybe ?

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Floating an idea for Jason Brown that I've made previously, but clearly he hasn't gotten word on my choice yet.

"California Dreamin" by the Mamas and Papas for your short program. Cool hippy vibe that has be a good musical shift into the flute solo. Something entirely different from Juke, and I don't think I've seen you skate to something like this before. I don't recall this music being used anywhere before. I really think you could do something great with this!

On the costuming: You can go with tie-die... but NO SPARKLES!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Floating an idea for Jason Brown that I've made previously, but clearly he hasn't gotten word on my choice yet.

"California Dreamin" by the Mamas and Papas for your short program. Cool hippy vibe that has be a good musical shift into the flute solo. Something entirely different from Juke, and I don't think I've seen you skate to something like this before. I don't recall this music being used anywhere before. I really think you could do something great with this!

On the costuming: You can go with tie-die... but NO SPARKLES!

Well it would work well with his hair down. :slink:

Actually i could easily see Jason skating to something like that. I suspect T&I will stick around for another year, and we will have a new SP that is fun, but not Juke.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ohh...Tusk is a really good song!!! :agree:

I think Yulia should skate to "No More Tears" by Ozzie Osborn

I'd love to see Mao Asada return and skate to "Don't Let the Sun GP Down On Me" Elton John

Serafima should skate to "November Rain" Guns and Roses

flying camel

Medalist
My suggestion is for Samatha Cesario. If she decides to continue skating, I would like to see her skate to West Side Story. I think she could really pull it off and make it sassy and original.

nieves

On the Ice
Wagner: Virgin Suicides soundtrack because it's dramatic and she could interpret it well. Maybe Gracie Gold could try it to.
I/K: Pride and Prejudice soundtrack. Lyrical and romantic.
Josh Farris: Tristan and Isolde prelude by Wagner. It's such a haunting and beautiful piece of music and if anyone could do it justice, he could.
Anna P: In Dreams or Blue Velvet for a crazy David Lynchesque exhibition

hidekimotozua

Rinkside
Patrick Chan - Adios Nonino - I know it's heavily attached to Yuna but I'd love a masculine take on this piece, specially this trumpet version of it.
http://youtu.be/MahbFjYlNXk

Max Aaron - Holst's Mars - strong and menacing, would fit Max really well.

Javier F - Schubert's Ganymed - Javi's no stranger to male operatic pieces so he'd do this justice.

Lipnitskaia - Sia's Chandelier - Just because she's the only one who could do Maddy.:yes:

Amei

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold (though she's not my favorite) - I was thinking All that Jazz from Chicago, it's a fun and sassy song - something different from the past 2 seasons

Yulia Lipnitskaia: Kill Bill, her exhibition was good from Skate Canada last year - something that plays to her serious on-ice demeanor but not something that is a somber mood like her last 2 FS's.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max Aaron - Holst's Mars - strong and menacing, would fit Max really well.

Oh goody! He did say in his Social Scene that he wished he could have people be intimidated by him on the ice the way they are by Plushenko. Menacing Mars Max might do the trick! :laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold (though she's not my favorite) - I was thinking All that Jazz from Chicago, it's a fun and sassy song - something different from the past 2 seasons

Gracie has used All That Jazz for an exhibition program. :)

oriquey

Final Flight
For no specific skater but I'd wish there were more people using music by/of:
Joe Hisaishi
Bear McCreary
Cloud Atlas
Alexander Desplat

MIM

Medalist
Lipnitskaia - Sia's Chandelier - Just because she's the only one who could do Maddy.:yes:

I am such a Dance Moms fan and Maddie did an amazing job performing both in chandelier and elastic heart with Sia! I want to see Serafima skate to either of the songs. To me Serafima has modern/contemporary feel in her moves that matches this kind of music.

MIM

Medalist
Have you seen Sima's ex from Russian Nationals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7q7bgK3xao

Omg!!!! No, I haven't!!! Thank you for the link. Did I foresee this?

She is rocking it! How cute she begins the performance at the rink fence as Maddie does at the door frame. I wish she would have showed off her crazy skating skills with more detailed choreos and put more thoughts into the costume. But as a gala program, I am excited to see her passion and sharpness to this music! ;)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Although Gold is not my favourite, but she is an skater I was really interested to see grow fully into her potentials, a real power skater with possible grace and beauty, modernism and dynamism that is the US culture that can do wonders for this sport. I feel some aspect of her natural ease seems to suppressed and artificially packaged.

The music with lyric rule is wonderful for skater like her but she need to skate stuff that has never been in Lori Nichol's CD library. Golden rule for her: If it is in Lori's library... avoid avoid!!!!

She can benefit from power vocals, something like Florence and the Machine, or how about Christina Perri: Jar of heart. Something antsy, since it seems her natural skating style. Not all skaters need to be groomed to classic artistic skater. I for one, appreciate the natural instinct, raw, power qualities in some young skaters style I have always liked, it is natural, it is instinctual, it is sports - a humanity subject, it need to take in what makes us human, individual, unique beings. Too much polish in my opinion can ruin something rich and original about the skater, that is why I vastly prefer Anna's raw power and unrefined power skating to someone like Satoko's over rehearsed refiness. I don't think Ballet is the best approach to figure skating either, because it precisely ruin these aspect of their expressions. It is as backward as to say the only way to become artist is that you need to learn to sketch and draw like the renaissance period right at start.

Last edited: