Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

meteorlight8

Rinkside
What the ...!?

This is SO bizarre! It doesn't even sound (via Google Translate anyway) like it's injury-related. Astakhov/Rogonov are replacing them. Oh to be a fly on the wall when this decision was being made ...

I'm happy that this news bodes well for Chinese pairs podiuming at their home worlds though :slink:

kresslia

Medalist
Wow, what? If it's not injury-related... what could be wrong?

This almost makes it TOO easy for D/R to win.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if this is another case of a Russian man saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to the stereotypical Russian diva?

Or, maybe after Euros, she's dumping him for being unreliable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Rooting for a Kavaguti/Sminov win with their fab free skate!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully, one of our native speaking GS'ers will wander to the thread soon and give us their impressions of the article.

Google translate seems to be implying that they're just abandoning the season and focusing on next year's programs.

It doesn't mention anything like a breakup... just moving on from this season.

This is pretty remarkable.

kinoriH

Final Flight
This season is officially over I guess..

ice dance and pairs are going downhill. CAN'T WAIT for V/T and V/M + D/W to come back and just slay. :rock:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wonder if this is another case of a Russian man saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to the stereotypical Russian diva?

Or, maybe after Euros, she's dumping him for being unreliable.

Yeah she's probably dumping him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
she will NOT dump a partner whom she she won an olympic silver medal with.

Why not?

Pairs and Dancers have to work together hours and hours every day, nearly year round, very little time off.

That's got to be tough when you don't like or trust your partner. It's a long time to 2018.

gmyers

Record Breaker
she will NOT dump a partner whom she she won an olympic silver medal with.

But all their momentum to win worlds And Olympic gold in 2018 has been damaged . Maybe not irrevocably but since they lost euros she has been extremely and publicly infuriated at him.

Last edited:

ppoison

Rinkside
I don't think they're splitting up. Sure she was upset but during the Euros gala they were back to normal. They might not be all "sugary sweet" with each other but they seem to have a strong relationship. The only thing I can think of is that they know they won't win gold against D/R and they don't want another world silver, and instead want a headstart for next season. Because if the rumours are true, they plan to considerably up their tech content next season.

sses1

On the Ice
But all their momentum to win worlds And Olympic gold in 2018 has been damaged . Maybe not irrevocably but since they lost euros she has been extremely and publicly infuriated at him.

But there isn't even a partner available at her level. . . .

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think they're splitting up. Sure she was upset but during the Euros gala they were back to normal. They might not be all "sugary sweet" with each other but they seem to have a strong relationship. The only thing I can think of is that they know they won't win gold against D/R and they don't want another world silver, and instead want a headstart for next season. Because if the rumours are true, they plan to considerably up their tech content next season.
Next season V&T will come back, it might be harder for them.
And seriously... I don't buy the kind of reasoning like "because we think we couldn't win so we withdraw".