Who is the better coach, Orser or Carroll? | Golden Skate

Who is the better coach, Orser or Carroll?

dress

On the Ice
Orser seems to be able to get the best out of his athletes. They look well prepared physicaly and mentaly.

dress

On the Ice
They are both very good coaches. They look very different. I think the best coach depends on the fit with the athlete. A coach can be the perfect fit for one athlete, and be average or bad for another athlete.

The coach and athlete must be a team

pandatours

On the Ice
They are both very good coaches. They look very different. I think the best coach depends on the fit with the athlete. A coach can be the perfect fit for one athlete, and be average or bad for another athlete.

The coach and athlete must be a team

I agree with this 100%. I will say that it seems to me that Orser is more flexible to coaching different personalities- I recall him saying that he could never coach Yuzu and Javi in the same way which I think is important. However, Carroll is more steady and unafraid to speak his mind to advocate for his skaters. But again, it really just depends on the totality of the circumstances

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Hard to say. Frank Carroll coached one of the more dominant skaters of all time in Michelle Kwan. Orser is certainly more busy in today's climate and has some strong skaters right now. I don't know, though, if any of them will transcend like MK.

peg

Medalist
I think the best coach depends on the fit with the athlete. A coach can be the perfect fit for one athlete, and be average or bad for another athlete.
This.

With any partnership, the fit is as important as ability.

Barb

Record Breaker
Hard to say. Frank Carroll coached one of the more dominant skaters of all time in Michelle Kwan. Orser is certainly more busy in today's climate and has some strong skaters right now. I don't know, though, if any of them will transcend like MK.

Well, Orser had Yuna.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
They both coached great pupils; I think a lot of good coaches could had led Yuna to OGM or Michelle to WGMs. What Robin Wagner did with Sarah is far more impressive IMO because Hughes was far less talented than Michelle or Yuna.

BlackPack

Medalist
Orser: it took him around a decade to produce 2 Olympic Champs, multiple World medalists, he really helped refine Javier.

Frank: While he is a sentimental favorite, it still took him around 50 years to produce an OGM (not a very popular one at that). Some of his students were unlucky, but still... And he admitted himself that he's no good at politicking - that is very costly IMO. Denis was already polished when he sought Frank. Michelle would have succeeded under any coach, and I think so would have Denis.

While they are both great, I'd give Orser the edge by a huge mile. I see more transformation with students under Orser than with Frank. I'd like to say Frank is the better coach out of sentimental reasons but I just can't.

brightphoton

Medalist
Is it just me, or do Frank's students tend to miss the flip?

Gracie fell on her flip in both her Olympics and recent Nationals long
Bebe Liang I think fell on it in virtually every Nationals long
Michelle fell on it in her last Olympics

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Orser: it took him around a decade to produce 2 Olympic Champs, multiple World medalists, he really helped refine Javier.

Frank: While he is a sentimental favorite, it still took him around 50 years to produce an OGM (not a very popular one at that). Some of his students were unlucky, but still... And he admitted himself that he's no good at politicking - that is very costly IMO. Denis was already polished when he sought Frank. Michelle would have succeeded under any coach, and I think so would have Denis.

While they are both great, I'd give Orser the edge by a huge mile. I see more transformation with students under Orser than with Frank. I'd like to say Frank is the better coach out of sentimental reasons but I just can't.

Lol, what? Yes, I completely believe that when I look at Gracies scores.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was about to make this joke! :laugh2: Darn it, now I shall have to hunt you down for stealing my chance of being witty! I don't get nearly enough of those, y'know?

Oh, I am sorry, Sandpiper! I just couldn't resist! :laugh2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Considering Dice Murakami and Denis Ten, I think Carroll is really good at nurturing his students to make a big breakthrough from a rough gemstone status. Looking back to the Worlds 2013, and NHK this season, who would consider Ten and Murakami as a top podium contender at the respective time? While Kim, Hanyu, Fernandez and Ngugyen were known for their exceptional talents in their homeland and achieved something already on their own before going to Orser, I would say Orser has been very lucky as a coach. Unless Orser cultivates a skater from a scratch to be a star, my evaluation on him would be different from now.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Orser hasn't developed skaters from a young age like Frank did with Michelle. It's easy to win championships when you have a Yuna or Hanyu fall into your lap. He never taught them their skating skills or jumps they already had them when he got them.

Last edited: