2015 FrenchieSkate | Golden Skate

2015 FrenchieSkate

mnm464

On the Ice
What a great thing for top skaters to contribute to! I am so excited to go and I hope there is a lot of people to support the cause! What do you think?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What a great thing for top skaters to contribute to! I am so excited to go and I hope there is a lot of people to support the cause! What do you think?

Sad to see the FrenchieSkate tweet that the Shibutanis (and Rippon and Balde) no longer are going to perform "due to unavoidable circumstances."

I hope that everyone is OK.

The Shibs subsequently sent a tweet of their own encouraging donations to the cause.

Anyway, very nice that so many talented skaters will be performing.

BTW, some videos of the very first FrenchieSkate show (quite a few years ago) are on YouTube. A much younger DeeDee Leng (a singles skater then), for instance. Cool :cool: that she will be appearing again, this time with Simon :).

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
In Adam's case, hope so.

But Maia, Alex, and Elladj are based in the Detroit area, so I doubt that weather would be an issue for them :confused2:.

so two out of three are headed to worlds, two out of three are from USA, but it is a mish mash of who is going and not. . .is the event cursed, or did some paperwork get snafued?

mnm464

On the Ice
I saw Meryl's post about being in Colorado for what looked like a food related event? Maybe all or many skaters on Team USA went? I don't know...That is sad though about the absences...maybe next year. Still, will be a great show though with Patrick and Alissa and everyone else!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
World and Olympic Figure Skating Stars Present FrenchieSkate 2015
A Benefit for North Star Reach
Camp for Kids with Serious Health Issues:

Cast:

Patrick Chan
Jeremy Abbott
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Maia and Alex Shibutani - WD
Alissa Czisny
Alexa Scimeca & Christopher knierim
Adam Ripon - WD
Elladj Balde - WD
Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam
Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker
DeeDee Leng & Simon Shnapir
Reyna Hamui
Georgia Glastris, and
"Little" Evolution Synchronized Skating Team

The event facebook page includes photos and a few promotional videos.

Olympic, champion figure skaters perform to send kids to camp featuring Chan and Czysny

Abbott and founder Glastris on Click On Detroit

Weaver and Poje

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is it possible that the USFSA stepped in and told the Shibs and Adam that they didn't want them skating in a show four weeks before Worlds? Because...that's kind of fair, IMO. I mean, it's not like the alternates are substandard, but why risk it?

Especially since Adam's performance at 4CCs was not especially...convincing.

charmblade

Final Flight
Maia just tweeted that they are also heading to Colorado for the cooking with Brian Boitano thing that must the event Meryl is going to. And as far as the USFSA not wanting certain skaters to skate right before worlds, there are plenty of other Worlds-bound skaters participating, so the whole thing seems a little :shrug:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Is it possible that the USFSA stepped in and told the Shibs and Adam that they didn't want them skating in a show four weeks before Worlds? Because...that's kind of fair, IMO. I mean, it's not like the alternates are substandard, but why risk it?

Especially since Adam's performance at 4CCs was not especially...convincing.

I wondered that as well, but that does not explain Balde. Plus the Shibs likely expect to go to worlds, I could see Adam committing to something with work it out later if he makes it to worlds mindset, but not the Shibs.

Strange for three random skaters to pull out the same day.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Maia just tweeted that they are also heading to Colorado for the cooking with Brian Boitano thing that must the event Meryl is going to. And as far as the USFSA not wanting certain skaters to skate right before worlds, there are plenty of other Worlds-bound skaters participating, so the whole thing seems a little :shrug:

Meryl had some pics with Brian so that makes sense. We are not having very nice weather lately, If they are not already here, they may have some fun getting here, and getting out. I wonder if they are already in Colorado and just gave up hope of getting out in any reasonable manner.

Speaking of which. . . need to go grab some fresh fresh snow for a drink, one of the few good things about snowing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Love the Shibutanis, but something feels weird here. :think:

It's great for them to be included in a USOC event, but I wonder whether USFS pressured them to back out of their commitment to the FrenchieSkate charity show, which they had made ages ago. I don't think they would have done so lightly.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
The Shibutanis, Balde, and Rippon? Blerg, who cares? :) I'm going for Czisny, and seeing Chan and Abbott skate would be a treat too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Elladj Balde has just posted a photo of himself in Africa ... where he traveled to meet his dying 99-year-old grandfather for the first time.

Wow. The photo and Elladj's emotional msg bring tears to my eyes. Elladj was named after his grandfather, ElHadj Mamadou Oury Baldé.

Best to the entire Balde family.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Elladj Balde has just posted a photo of himself in Africa ... where he traveled to meet his dying 99-year-old grandfather for the first time.

Wow. The photo and Elladj's emotional msg bring tears to my eyes. Elladj was named after his grandfather, ElHadj Mamadou Oury Baldé.

The picture tells all the emotions and story that are hard for words to convey. This must be an unforgettable experience for the Elladjs and the link between them, the three generations of men.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That's so cool. Wonder if ancestry.com has something to do with the reunion. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's so cool. Wonder if ancestry.com has something to do with the reunion. ;)

:confused2:?? I don't understand your wink. Has either Elladj or ancestry.com given any indication -- or even hint -- that the website is involved??

Based on only the one Instagram, I don't get the sense that Elladj's father had lost contact with Grandpa ElHadj -- only that geographic distance kept them physically apart.

But if ancestry.com really did make an offer to a world-class athlete to cover what must have been daunting travel costs, it is understandable that the Baldes would have accepted.