Most marketable Female athletes | Golden Skate

Most marketable Female athletes

minze

Medalist
I'm surprised Yuna isn't on there.

Me too. But she is the richest figure skater according to Forbes. Although Mao is the most marketable female athlete in Japan and Caro is in Italy. So, their marketability is in their respective countries as opposed to people like Serena Williams who has more of a global appeal. Which is understandable since Figure Skating does not have the reach sports like Tennis have.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I'm surprised Yuna isn't on there.

Japan is a big market and along with China a powerful political and economic force in Asia. I'm not surprised given Asada's popularity in Japan as well as her long and very accomplished career in figure skating. It will be interesting to see where she takes her career from here. It's not just Italy but Carolina Kostner can probably gain popularity throughout Europe since she can participate in all those ice shows and can be quite marketable too. South Korea has rapidly developed in the past couple of decades but still has ways to go to be considered influential. This is why I always find it laughable when some people believe in conspiracy theories of how South Korea influenced the IOC and ISU or that there was such a desire to tap into that market thus Kim Yuna was favored or propped up.

peg

Medalist
Japan is a big market and along with China a powerful political and economic force in Asia. I'm not surprised given Asada's popularity in Japan as well as her long and very accomplished career in figure skating. It will be interesting to see where she takes her career from here. It's not just Italy but Carolina Kostner can probably gain popularity throughout Europe since she can participate in all those ice shows and can be quite marketable too. South Korea has rapidly developed in the past couple of decades but still has ways to go to be considered influential. This is why I always find it laughable when some people believe in conspiracy theories of how South Korea influenced the IOC and ISU or that there was such a desire to tap into that market thus Kim Yuna was favored or propped up.

I agree that in the figure skating world and politically, S. Korea has little clout. But given the millions Yuna has made through endorsements, you would think she would be on there. Based on her track record, Yuna has already shown herself to be more marketable than Mao and Carolina. Don't forget, out of the three, Yuna is the only one with Olympic gold, which boosts her stock internationally.

I'd be curious to know the eight dimensions that were used in calculating the scores.

minze

Medalist
And has them ranked above Sharapova and both the Williams sisters which I find hard to believe.

I don't think is not a rank. In fact according to their ranking Sharapova is the most marketable global athlete. The list did not have rank. Anyways, I just wanted to share.

minze

Medalist
I agree that in the figure skating world and politically, S. Korea has little clout. But given the millions Yuna has made through endorsements, you would think she would be on there. Based on her track record, Yuna has already shown herself to be more marketable than Mao and Carolina. Don't forget, out of the three, Yuna is the only one with Olympic gold, which boosts her stock internationally.

I'd be curious to know the eight dimensions that were used in calculating the scores.

But is not a competition just a list.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

I'm curious to know too, I definitely would have expected Li Na on that list, especially ahead of Guo Jing Jing, she is so insanely loved and adored in China, like the equivalent of Yuna in SK.

Franklin99

Medalist
I wonder how much of earnings she actually gets to keep because she endorses so many things.

I always wondered too, but at the same time, I like how Mao's people are smart enough not to broadcast her earnings.

I remembered how celebrities like Gisele B. complaining about how Forbes way overestimated her annual earnings, which in turn had the IRS checking her finances. And that she didn't make no where near what they were quoting she was making.

Krislite

Medalist
I always wondered too, but at the same time, I like how Mao's people are smart enough not to broadcast her earnings.

I remembered how celebrities like Gisele B. complaining about how Forbes way overestimated her annual earnings, which in turn had the IRS checking her finances. And that she didn't make no where near what they were quoting she was making.

With rich people, you never really know how much they earn and it is actually often a well-kept secret for very obvious reasons (tax evasion). Forbes digs around and makes estimates. There's no public record of these things. Even public corporations that are obligated to report the earnings of their executives have a slew of accountants and lawyers who minimize the publicized income. I'm sure Gisele does not appreciate being hounded by the IRS, but that's par for the course with multi-millionaires who swear they don't make as much money as they actually do.

peg

Medalist
But is not a competition just a list.

:scratch:
I never said it was a competition.

According to the article, it's an index that evaluated eight dimensions. I'm simply curious about the specifics of their methodology - i.e. what those dimensions were and how those scores were calculated. Clearly, it was quite specific given that they give ratings down to a decimal point. Obviously, based on the blurbs on each of the athletes, one components was recognizability within their own country. I'm curious as to what the others were to see whether that might explain why Yuna isn't on the list.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
:scratch:
I never said it was a competition.

According to the article, it's an index that evaluated eight dimensions. I'm simply curious about the specifics of their methodology - i.e. what those dimensions were and how those scores were calculated. Clearly, it was quite specific given that they give ratings down to a decimal point. Obviously, based on the blurbs on each of the athletes, one components was recognizability within their own country. I'm curious as to what the others were to see whether that might explain why Yuna isn't on the list.

Unfortunately, the source is NOT an article, but just a mere website operated by a marking firm. I'm waiting for the original poster's answer on how reliable source it is because I've never heard of the firm name until today and I couldn't find the company's entry even in Wikipedia - not that I consider the "so-called encyclopedia" reliable, but the site has pages about all sorts of trivial info.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
No, in fact Sharapova is the most marketable athlete in the world according to the same site

See, this is precisely why I'm curious to know how those numbers were derived. According to the article you posted, Sharapova's DBI score of 75.29 is the lowest of any of the athletes mentioned. All the others are above 80. Yet you say that they're also saying she is the most marketable worldwide (I can't find that info, but I have no reason to disbelieve you). So why is her score lower than others if she's most marketable worldwide? There must have been other dimensions where she scored lower tan the other athletes. So what were those things? How much weight was given to worldwide recognition? How much was given to recognition in their own country? etc.