Alexei Urmanov and Ilia Kulik | Golden Skate

Alexei Urmanov and Ilia Kulik

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Because sometimes Yagudin-Plushenko gets old, and we need something less volatile (hopefully).

Urmanov and Kulik were Russia's first two Olympic champions. Both won Olympic gold quite young, over Canadian great Elvis Stojko*. They were not extremely successful outside the Olympics, having one European title and one World medal (not gold) each.

Urmanov continued to compete after his Olympic win, to little success. Kulik, on the other hand, took his Olympic gold and retired at the ripe old age of 21.

Both have contributed to "quad history": Urmanov was one of the first to perform the quadruple jump, and Kulik was the first Olympic champion to perform it in his winning program. Less gloriously, for many people they were also full-time members in the "good-looking men in questionable outfits" club--a requirement for figure skating champions, surely.

What are your thoughts on Urmanov and Kulik, how do they compare with each other, and what was their contribution to the sport?

*Canadian curse jokes incoming, at the expense of someone not named Brian Orser for once

noskates

Record Breaker
I thought Urmanov was only marginally talented. He had the skate of his life to win the OGM but got a lot of "help" from the other skaters that year. Kulik, on the other hand, was exceptional. He was fresh and innovative and still has managed to keep most of his jumps even these years later. I've seen him skate professionally quite a few times in shows and in SOI and he's still very entertaining.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Terrible costume choices: it's a tie because both had costumes I never want to see again. :scowl: Maybe Kulik edged out a bit.
Jumping: Kulik of course.
Funny moment: Urmanov won by triping on his out POTO costume.
Handsomeness: Urmanov ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Terrible costume choices: it's a tie because both had costumes I never want to see again. :scowl: Maybe Kulik edged out a bit.
Jumping: Kulik of course.
Funny moment: Urmanov won by triping on his out POTO costume.
Handsomeness: Urmanov ;)
I was wondering when you'd show up!

For me (didn't want to further clutter up the first post with personal thoughts), Kulik had better jumps, spins, probably field moves as well... but it's Urmanov who had the charisma. For some reason, he catches my attention even on the kookiest of programs. :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'd have to go with Urmanov. Ilia had beautiful jumps, he was very cute...but I don't really connect with him as a performer at all. He was a bit too stiff for my liking and too reserved. Urmanov was much more exciting and charismatic. I rewatch his programs sometimes but Ilia, almost never.

I did like Ilia in Center Stage. :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Urmanov looked like a prince. Elegant and charismatic. I believe he was very lucky to win the Oly gold. He wasn't a probable winner..

Kulik was so cute, he is Aladdin for me forever. :biggrin: He had beautiful jumps and some ugly costumes. ;) I was rooting for him at OG 1998. He retired too early...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Both were very good skaters. In those times I preferred Urmanov, as his costume was not as offensive aesthetically as Kulik's. Yes, Alexei looked like a prince...he was quite elegant. So was Ilia, but he was too "boyish" for my taste. Ilia looks much better now. His skating was so pure, so much quality in his moves. I wonder why he retired so soon. Was he injured?

PS: What I remember is that Urmanov was quite poor/or had big problems with his training sessions due to poor conditions. He was trained by Mishin...
Ilia was trained by Tarasova....a bit similar to Yagoudin/Plushenko.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker

Too young to remember their skating but Ilia Kulik's giraffe costume burned into my eyes forever. :laugh:

Naya

On the Ice
Too young to remember their skating but Ilia Kulik's giraffe costume burned into my eyes forever. :laugh:

To be fair, Lambiel's costume in 2006 Olympics was worse, in my humble opinion - 3 animal species in one jacket and no relation to the music :laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
FWIW, Urmanov won both his European title and the GPF (then called the "Championship Series" final) after he won his OGM. I always liked him because he found nice things to say about all parties during the hey-day of the Yags-Plush wars.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

A shame, because he actually had some quite good ones, especially after he turned pro. Actually, I really loved the wing costume for his Olympic SP.

Also: MAFIA!

Rissa

Record Breaker
A shame, because he actually had some quite good ones, especially after he turned pro. Actually, I really loved the wing costume for his Olympic SP.

Also: MAFIA!

Thank God for youtube then! :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Actually, I really loved the wing costume for his Olympic SP.
I thought I was the only one who liked that one. :eek:: I know many people think it's weird, but I thought it went nicely with the ease of his skating. Like he's floating. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought I was the only one who liked that one. :eek:: I know many people think it's weird, but I thought it went nicely with the ease of his skating. Like he's floating. :)

Yes! Especially when he stepped up into that beautiful 3A-3T, as though it was effortless, as though it was no trouble at all... :love:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both delivered when it counted, but Kulik is the one who will be remembered, IMO.

Urmanov was just strange. He deserved the gold, but really forgettable... except for being strange.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
I leave it to others to compare the two as you undoubtedly know that I am a Kulik partisan. His jumps were, and still are, pure and precise. He is a wonderful professional skater and still a joy to watch. Ilia is also coaching - jump coaching for Satoko Miyahara (who did so well at 4CCs) and working with Michael Christian Martinez among others. Alexei is much farther into his coaching and teaching career and is apparently very well respected in that regard.

One nice thing to note - Ilia has described several times how excited he was, at the age of 16, sitting in front of the TV with his family watching Alexei win Olympic gold. He said it was thrilling and inspiring, and he was rooting for Alexei all the way. Of course he then went out and beat him in the following year's Europeans but I don't think he ever thought of it as a man-to-man rivalry but rather each skater trying his best at the moment.

Lots more of Ilia past and present if you're interested at the Krew FB page

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought Urmanov was only marginally talented. He had the skate of his life to win the OGM but got a lot of "help" from the other skaters that year. Kulik, on the other hand, was exceptional. He was fresh and innovative and still has managed to keep most of his jumps even these years later. I've seen him skate professionally quite a few times in shows and in SOI and he's still very entertaining.

IN respect to Kulik it is hard to forgive him for that giraffe monstrocity in bad bad, very bad pleather. I never figured out what it had to do with his music. It was wrong on so many grounds - not going with the music, looked like a mish mash of styles and some poor giraffe must be saying give me back my coat, you are making me look ridiculous! :) Kulik did have some nice glide. Urmanov I found a bit klunky despite his attempt to pull of the Toller Cranston if I wear some chiffon I must be balletic and artistic look. I think Evis should have beat Urmanov whose jumps weren't alway so clean or effortless.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
It is impossible to defend the giraffe outfit so I won't (and can't) but let's blame the right person. When asked about it Ilia still maintains "the shirt won" (it's a joke, mostly) and that he just wore it. Tatiana and some seamstress came up with it and he apparently was willing to take her word for it. I don't know what she was thinking - although I often didn't know what she was thinking in terms of costuming men (the only woman who could possibly dress Evgeny Platov, one of the handsomest skaters ever, in something that looked like a chiffon scarf drawer had exploded - it was just inexplicable). She occasionally hit it okay with Ilia's costume (see Faust ) but not always. Overall she made her costume errors on Evgeny and Ilia; she did much better with Alexei Yagudin or maybe he was just willing to push back, I don't know which.

The good news is that Ilia's costumes in his professional career have been SO much better - clean lines, good taste, great colors - all that grown up stuff.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Can't say anything e.g. which is a better skater tbh. To me as once-a-young-girl, all of Urmy :love:, Ilia :love: nd Sasha Abt :love: are forever prince in my dreams.

eta sorry daisuke.... ;)