Daleman confident as Worlds loom closer | Golden Skate

Daleman confident as Worlds loom closer

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada’s Gabrielle Daleman is known for her power jumps, however, this season, her artistry on the ice has come through as well. This was evident in her performances at the 2015 Canadian Figure Skating Championships where she won her first national title.

While she uses a simpler triple toe-triple toe in her short, the jump has paid off with fairly consistent high grades of execution (GOE).
“I would rather get +GOEs for it and do it clean than underrotate a Lutz-toe,” she said. “I am also focusing more on getting level 4s on all my spins and footwork in my programs with lots of transitions in between.”

Her goals are to make the top six in Shanghai. What are your thoughts?

Article

Sackie

Medalist
It is kind of nice that she is confident and setting goals for herself. I just hope she isn't reaching too high and gets down on herself if she is not close after the short. I think a more realistic result is certainly making the top 10.
What she would need to be top 6 would be for some of the big names to make errors. But not only make the errors but to be marked according for making the errors - but so far this season we have not seen that happening much. Even a Gracie, Polina or Anna with errors are going to be kept above a clean Daleman. I actually think a clean Chartrand has a better chance of making the top 6!
But I do applaud her for setting goals and showing confidence, and having a plan in place for improving her scores.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I am glad she is confident as I am not a huge fan of false modesty.

Having said that, top 10, let alone top 6 is really too much asking for her at this point in time. I do not believe she really has a chance at a top 6.

humbaba

Final Flight
I wouldn't sell Daleman short. While I think top 8 would be a good showing for her, I wouldn't be shocked if she did better. Wherever she finishes, I love watching her explosive jumps.

Sackie

Medalist
I think she has a good chance at top 10! She was 13th last year and now she is going in as CAN # 1! And even skating like she did at 4CC she could be top 10.

Sackie

Medalist
And I would add that if judges were to judge only on what happens at worlds instead of skaters reps and where they are from she could be close to # 6! But this is not likely to happen.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think it is a great photo of Gabby! :love:

Never underestimate how big a splatfest a ladies competition can be! It is entirely possible that Daleman can finish in the top 10!

Sackie

Medalist
And I like her comments in regards to the friendship between her and Chartrand and how it pushes them both. I think if they are close in the short at worlds watch for Daleman to turn it up in the free so she can continue to be the top Canadian. I think Daleman also wants to put her name in the running to be the top Canadian even if Osmond returns to old form. And this worlds is the chance to do it. Osmond only managed a top 8 as her best world result - so if Daleman can match or surpass that... and Daleman came close to beating Osmond at last year's worlds. In fact she did beat her in the long!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think she has a good chance at top 10! She was 13th last year and now she is going in as CAN # 1! And even skating like she did at 4CC she could be top 10.

I think we can all appreciate when speaking to the media you have to be positive. I hope she truly believes she can be top six this year. Looking at her results, arguably different sometimes than the skates themselves, she will be lucky to be in the top ten. Her placement at 4CCs suggests she is outside top ten when you factor in 3 Russian ladies as well as Korpi and say a Georgian, French or Swedish lady eating her. For her to make top six she probably would have to look at "reasonable or possible scenadrio like this" an American lady - most likely Polina to crash, a Russian lady to crash most likely Anna, assumes she beats the Chinese, Korean, Georgian, French, Swedish ladies as well as Korpi and she beats 2 of the Japanese ladies as well as stay ahead of Chartrand. Tough. She still needs some help and good skates from her just to make top ten. Isn't her goal really top 12 to earn Canada 2 spots?

peg

Medalist
I think top 6 is a stretch, but if she skates really well top 10 should be doable

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She would have to have two clean programs with no mistakes (has that ever happened?) and many of the top ladies would have to have major meltdowns for her to make top 6.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
She does seem to be Canada's leading lady this season. I recall CBC being surprised at Daleman's confidence, being outspoken, and having that competitive fire within her -- which they felt was very unusual to see from ladies Canadian skaters right now.

Top six in Shanghai would be a big stretch, based on what we've seen in the Grand Prix series and at 4CCs. She wasn't able to pull of a top 6 even in a smaller field at 4CC. Once you introduce the Russian ladies, that's easily 2, probably 3 of the top spots already accounted for. Is she one of the best skaters in the field right now after the Russians? I would say no, probably not even close. Even a top 10 finish may be tough at Worlds, but 9th or 10th would not be a shocker. Anything can happen (as we've seen this season), so hopefully as many ladies as possible bring their A-game and we get a truly entertaining competition.

I am still patiently awaiting the return of Kaetlyn. :eek::

Flaya

Match Penalty
I believe Daleman will stay number one, ahead of Osmond as in my opinion, she seems to be more talented (not sure about their respective work ethics).

Daleman also has a nice presence about herself that I enjoy. Having said that, I believe top 10 should be the goal, it will be very tough but it is possible.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
At this stage, I don't see Daleman making the top six. Her style is still very jerky, if that makes sense.

There are three Russians, two US, and at least two Japanese women who are locks for the top ten.

I hope that Daleman and Chartrand at least skate a combined total that allows two Canadian ladies in 2016.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd agree that Gabby's jumping is kinda jerky, but then so is Radionova's, and that hasn't hurt Elena's PCS a bit!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but it should at least hurt Radionova's GOE on her jumps, and it hasn't, very much. Liza's jumps are worlds better, but they aren't getting that much better marks.

So I conclude I don't know anything about grading ladies' jumps. For me, you shouldn't pitch forward on the landing, the bigger the jumps the better, and you should have a smooth glide on both entry and exit. But my marks are not currently mstching the judges.

peg

Medalist
Yes, but it should at least hurt Radionova's GOE on her jumps, and it hasn't, very much. Liza's jumps are worlds better, but they aren't getting that much better marks.

So I conclude I don't know anything about grading ladies' jumps. For me, you shouldn't pitch forward on the landing, the bigger the jumps the better, and you should have a smooth glide on both entry and exit. But my marks are not currently mstching the judges.

Some of the GOE is also assigned to things like difficult entries into jumps, etc.

That said, I absolutely agree that Elena's jumps are overscored compared to Liza. Despite the theory, skaters are often not actually marked based on what they do on the ice.