Davis and White on Jeopardy! | Golden Skate

Davis and White on Jeopardy!

salchowx4

On the Ice
There was an ice dancing category tonight on Jeopardy!. Davis and White read the clues. Extremely easy clues, but thought I'd post the questions... err, answers, just for fun.

$200

Ice dancing was once a social sport in which top-hatted men paraded on the ice with ladies in long dresses; the skaters incorporated elements of ballroom dancing, like this elegant dance from Vienna

$400

We were longtime fans of "Dancing with the Stars" before we competed on it; in fact, this "DWTS" pro and multiple winner of the show's mirrorball trophy helped choreograph our short program for Sochi

$600

The hot ticket at the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo was the final free dance in ice dancing; that's when this British pair performed to Ravel's "Bolero", earning a gold medal & 9 perfect scores for artistic impressions, a feat that has never been duplicated.

$800

In 2014 we skated to music by a great Russian composer: Rimsky-Korsakov; we used this symphonic suite in which I assume the title role of a sultan's wife who spins stories to entertain her husband

$1000

A key move is this traveling turn done on one foot; the judges are watching for us to put the other foot down at the same time

All of the clues had audio/visual content in addition to the video of Meryl and Charlie reading the clues. (e.g. Twizzle question showed them doing twizzles) All were answered correctly except for the one regarding Derek Hough. The contestants didn't have a clue who he is.

Edit: Now there is video:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anecdotal observation:

IIRC, the sole female contestant gave at least three of the correct questions ($600 and up).

Don't remember for sure whether one of the male contestants earned the $200 for the first question, but I think so.

(So happens that the answers were not selected in order of low to high value ... and were not played all in a row. The contestants were jumping around a lot, both across and within categories.)

Poor D. Hough ... I'm not a DWTS fan, but I was surprised that no one recognized his face and description.

(Lest anyone wonder, Jeopardy did not have a typo in Bolero. ;))

salchowx4

On the Ice
Anecdotal observation:

IIRC, the sole female contestant gave at least three of the correct questions ($600 and up).

Don't remember for sure whether one of the male contestants earned the $200 for the first question, but I think so.

(So happens that the answers were not selected in order of low to high value ... and were not played all in a row. The contestants were jumping around a lot, both across and within categories.)

Poor D. Hough ... I'm not a DWTS fan, but I was surprised that no one recognized his face and description.

(Lest anyone wonder, Jeopardy did not have a typo in Bolero. ;))

Yep, fixed it. I'm sure there are other errors in my typing. Sheesh.

Anyway, it was great to see them on the program. I had no idea they were going to be on. What a nice surprise!

Skategmt

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the summary! I really can't thank you enough! I have been searching for the clues and video all night!

I watch Jeopardy EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... except I didn't tonight, I watched last week's episode of Pretty Little Liars instead. :(

peg

Medalist
I was answering the questions in my head (here - didn't actually watch the show) and on the third question I realized I hadn't phrased the first two responses as questions :laugh2:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, it is just an antique turn of phrase by an old lady. What I actually did is have my cable box record it. :eek:: from whence it will go to the megabyte graveyard as soon as I have watched it.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
BTW, Jeopardy did send some tweets today promoting D/W in advance, and it was nice to see that the show did recognize that D/W have a significant fan base that was worth reaching out to.

(D and/or W had retweeted at least one of the official Jeopardy tweets.)

ETA, Tanith's tweet after the show aired was cute.​

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, it is just an antique turn of phrase by an old lady. What I actually did is have my cable box record it. :eek:: from whence it will go to the megabyte graveyard as soon as I have watched it.

Well that's a relief... for a second there I thought you were building a digital archive of old Jeopardy footage! ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But not an antique turn of phrase for me. I do in fact "tape" (which requires setting multiple machines). Which is why this year we will probably cut the cord and I will rely even more on those kind posters who gather together skating vids. ;)

I did not however tape Jeopardy, so I was glad to see all the questions and the clip. I wouldn't have gotten Derek Hough either. :hopelessness:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yep, fixed it. I'm sure there are other errors in my typing. Sheesh. ...

I hope you do not think that I was not picking on you. I know that it was just one of those innocent typos to which I myself certainly am not immune.
I was clarifying b/c I didn't want someone to roll their eyes at the Jeopardy producers/writers and jump to the conclusion that it was a matter of their ignorance of ice dance and/or T/D.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So random to have them read the clues, does Jeopardy does this a lot? To have people read the clues?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
So random to have them read the clues, does Jeopardy does this a lot? To have people read the clues?

If memory serves me right they do often do have guests participate. It ranges from normal people to celebrities I think? :think:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

It ain't your grandmother's Jeopardy anymore ;).

Jeopardy guests such as D/W are not uncommon in this day and age.