Breakthrough - Liza Tuks joins the echelons of 3A ladies | Golden Skate

Breakthrough - Liza Tuks joins the echelons of 3A ladies

Globetrotter

Medalist
After the SP of Worlds 2015 in Shanghai, Liza Tuks became just the 6th (IIRC) lady to land a 3A in an international competition and 7th overall 3A lady. :cheer::cheer2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SuNQu2u1o (3A starts ~1.12). This is also the first 4 triple SP, all landed solid, no UR or e/! calls.

Triple axel ladies: Midori Ito (1988), Tonya Harding (1991), Yukari Nakano (2002), Ludmila Nelidina (2002), Mao Asada (2005), Kimmie Meissner (2005, US Nats), Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (2015)

It is amazing that it took 10 years after Meissner before we get another lady who manage to land this holy grail of triple jump. Indeed, the technical aspect of ladies skating hadn't progress as far as the men who are regularly heading for quads.

Do you think that with Tuks laying down the gauntlet, the other ladies will take up the challenge? Who do you think will be the next 3A or quad lady? Will the other Russian girls have the guts and the technique to aim for something more? Who will match this? Will you expect to see the first 8 triple LP with no < or edge calls coming next season?

Noolan

On the Ice
Do you think that with Tuks laying down the gauntlet, the other ladies will take up the challenge? Who do you think will be the next 3A or quad lady? Will the other Russian girls have the guts and the technique to aim for something more? Who will match this?
Based on what her coach said, Radionova isn't planning to learn quads or a triple axel for the next season. Medvedeva and Sahanovich said they're planning to skip axel and move to quads, but they will most likely not be ready for it in the next season. Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova seem to have their hands full just trying to get back in shape. So it looks like Liza's axel will be unbeatable next season, at least in Russia. Maybe the Japanese girls will try something, but Satoko isn't a great jumper and with Kanako we don't even know if she will go on for one more season. It looks like the age of Tuktik domination is upon us.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Of all the Japanese ladies I think only Wakaba Higuchi has a somewhat realistic chance to get this jump, but we will see. As for other Russians - Sotnikova could try, her 2A is solid and very high, but I don't think she will. My bet is on youngsters like Gubanova, her 2A looks promising, the competition for Worlds team in Russia is going to be crazy and girls like her (and Tsurskaya, Nugumanova) will need something to set them apart from the rest. But they aren't even junior eligible yet, so it's a long shot

pohatta

On the Ice
Based on what her coach said, Radionova isn't planning to learn quads or a triple axel for the next season. Medvedeva and Sahanovich said they're planning to skip axel and move to quads, but they will most likely not be ready for it in the next season. Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova seem to have their hands full just trying to get back in shape. So it looks like Liza's axel will be unbeatable next season, at least in Russia. Maybe the Japanese girls will try something, but Satoko isn't a great jumper and with Kanako we don't even know if she will go on for one more season. It looks like the age of Tuktik domination is upon us.

Just look out for Meite. She has the potential and the motivation, because she'll never be the PCS queen. She has been practicing 3A and even 4T wouldn't be a major surprise from her.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think her coach has said maybe she has done a few in practice. Although practice is not competition.

Done = landed, right? I'm supposed to take the coach's word for fact? :p All I ask is a crappy phone capture lol.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Done = landed, right? I'm supposed to take the coach's word for fact? :p All I ask is a crappy phone capture lol.

I was saying her jumps are good enough so maybe its feasible. Some of the girls have wonky double axels and so no I don't think so. But Adelina's jumps are so big and powerful that I think maybe she could.

Now at the end of day I won't say she has one until I see her land it in competition.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm SOOOOOO thrilled for Liza! First lady to do a 4-triple SP! And 6th woman to land a 3A in an international competition! It was such a great way to wake up this morning to see! At this rate, she could potentially break 80 points in the future!

rollerblade

Record Breaker
With the 3A, does this mean Tukt pretty much has this quad in her hands?

Yes and no. She still has to land it (or at least get full rotation), and land other jumps in her programs. Falls or big mistakes in other "easier" jumps would cancel out the points gained from 3A.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Right now, Sotnikova seems to be the only other skater who a 3A is realistic. And a quad even.

Agreed. She has a ton of power in her jumps though she lacks the control Liza T has. I could see her doing it but whether or not she could do it in competition is the real question...

Very proud of Liza T for having the cajones to go for it and land it...and it was so pretty! With that jump, she pretty much becomes untouchable. I thought her PCS were too high TBH (mid 8s for everything?) but in the end it doesn't make much of a difference. She's got this one in the bag as long as she doesn't meltdown in the FS.

begin

Medalist
Agreed. She has a ton of power in her jumps though she lacks the control Liza T has. I could see her doing it but whether or not she could do it in competition is the real question...

Very proud of Liza T for having the cajones to go for it and land it...and it was so pretty! With that jump, she pretty much becomes untouchable. I thought her PCS were too high TBH (mid 8s for everything?) but in the end it doesn't make much of a difference. She's got this one in the bag as long as she doesn't meltdown in the FS.

I'm no expert but I think control is more important for the 3A. Adelina gets really wild in the air when she goes for her axels. Mao never had a powerful 2A but she had the timing and air position down pat. Same goes for Liza and Ito.

If Liza keeps her technical edge and consistency then hopefully the judges will calm down with her PCS. They ought to keep the competition alive!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Triple axel ladies: Midori Ito (1988), Tonya Harding (1991), Yukari Nakano (2002), Ludmila Nelidina (2002), Mao Asada (2005), Kimmie Meissner (2005, US Nats), Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (2015)

I don't know if I would include Meissner, as it wasn't done internationally and almost certainly wouldn't be ratified by an international panel.

witcher

Match Penalty
I don't know, if you realize how close Liza was to terminate the season in the beginning.
Pre-Worlds interview with Mishin from today: http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2694137

"В начале этого сезона она испытывала такие боли в спине, что врачи сказали — все, кататься не надо."

"In the beginning of this season she was experiencing such pain in the back, that doctors said: that's it, she shouldn't skate."

It makes today's achievement even more respectable. :bow:

PS. on the other hand, how long her back can endure this 10 starts/year regime?

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
With the 3A, does this mean Tukt pretty much has this quad in her hands?

No. Nothing is for certain. She's landed it twice in competition, once in a major competition. It's hard to say if this will become a barometer, but I'm just enjoying it for what it is.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Midori's 3axel is still in a league of it's own. Mao and Tuk's axel doesn't really stand out in the height like Ito got on hers and just looks like another triple.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
If Liza keeps her technical edge and consistency then hopefully the judges will calm down with her PCS. They ought to keep the competition alive!
Do You really think they should underscore her in PCS compared to the other competitors just to keep the competition alive? That would be grossly unfair in my opinion. I have to add that I don't care for world records in FS. They changed the rules so many times, you just can't compare the scores. The ISU should drop them imho. I compare her PCS to her current competitors. No problems there.

Last edited: