The best jumps of the season | Golden Skate

The best jumps of the season

MixedFruit

Spectator
These are the jumps that got the highest GOEs this season. I counted only GP Series, GP Final, Euros, 4CC and WC (Seniors only). I was trying to do this for all kinds of jumps... but I realized it would take so long time, so decided to do only for some of them which I think are relatively more important than else.
There can be mistakes. If you find some, correct me :)

< Ladies >

3A ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (WC, SP) GOE 1.57
3Lz ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (EC, LP) GOE 1.80
3F ... Elena RADIONOVA (EC, LP) GOE 1.40
3Lo ... Elena RADIONOVA (EC, SP) GOE 1.20
3Lz-3T ... Anna POGORILAYA (GPF, LP) GOE 1.50
Julia LIPNITSKAIA (GPF, LP) GOE 1.50
3F-3T ... Ashley WAGNER (GPF, LP) GOE 1.00
3S-3T ... So Youn PARK (SA, LP) GOE 1.20
3T-3T ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (GPF, SP) GOE 1.90

< MEN >

4S ... Javier FERNANDEZ (SC, SP) GOE 2.86
4T ... Yuzuru HANYU (GPF, LP) GOE 2.71
3A ... Yuzuru HANYU (COC, SP) GOE 3.00
3Lz ... Han YAN (4CC, LP) GOE 1.60
3F ... Adam RIPPON (SC, SP) GOE 1.40
4S-3T ... Maxim KOVTUN (WC, SP&LP) GOE 1.43
4S-2T ... Javier FERNANDEZ (WC, LP) GOE 1.71
4T-3T ... Sergei VORONOV (COR, SP) GOE 2.29
Denis TEN (4CC, LP) GOE 2.29
3A-3T ... Han YAN (4CC, LP) GOE 2.86
3Lz-3T ... Javier FERNANDEZ (RC&SC, SP) GOE 1.40
Denis TEN (4CC, SP) GOE 1.40
3F-3T ... Jason BROWN (4CC, LP) GOE 1.50

< Season best scores >

Ladies

Best overall score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (EC) 210.40
Best short program total score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (WC) 77.62
Best short program TES score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (WC) 44.09
Best short program PCS score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (WC) 33.53
Best long program total score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (EC) 141.38
Best long program TES score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (EC) 73.15
Best long program PCS score ... Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (EC) 68.23
(Queen Liza:yay:)

Men

Best overall score ... Denis TEN (4CC) 289.46
Best short program total score ... Denis TEN (4CC) 97.61
Best short program TES score ... Denis TEN (4CC) 52.86
Best short program PCS score ... Yuzuru HANYU (WC) 45.28
Best long program total score ... Yuzuru HANYU (GPF) 194.08
Best long program TES score ... Yuzuru HANYU (GPF) 103.30
Best long program PCS score ... Yuzuru HANYU (GPF) 91.78

Kelly

On the Ice
Thanks for for the statistics, and it looks quite interesting. It must have taken you a lot of time. And welcome to the forum.:)

Weathergal

Medalist
Thank you for taking the time to compile all that information! I learned a lot by reading it. Some of the highest GOEs were what I expected, but some, like Ashley having the top Ladies' 3F-3T GOE, were a surprise.

andyjo24

Medalist
Wow. So Youn Park is actually up there with the other top ladies in terms of GOE for the 3-3.

But she really needs to work on her consistency if she wants to seriously compete with them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for compiling this. Anna does have the best 3Lz-3T (well, Yuna does but she retired, and Liza does but she didn't perform one this year). Even Ashley and SoYoun make sense, since they are one of the few people to attempt those combos (3F-3T and 3S-3T). Only surprise was Lena holding the best scores for 3Lo and 3F. To think she used to struggle on the flip edge.

Yuzuru's 3A is perfection. Interesting to see Denis Ten still holding the highest overall score. I guess something to be learned next Worlds: Don't crash out in the SP. He really had a good opportunity.

bmcc102

Rinkside
Elena's 3 flip got ! for an edge call in her Worlds LP. I actually think Liza's should have too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ridiculous that Joshua's perfect 3A is not on this list. :disapp:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Ridiculous that Joshua's perfect 3A is not on this list. :disapp:

Yeah well, the list only has the jumps with the highest GOEs this season. But that doesn't mean there weren't some great 3A this seasons: Joshua's, Denis', Han's, the list goes on.

On other note, holy Jesus, Liza was the queen this season (hopefully she will still be on the next). Go Liza! :cheer:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting---but for the ladies, most of the competitions were EC or WC where all the judges were European.....

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting---but for the ladies, most of the competitions were EC or WC where all the judges were European.....

Certainly if Liza had been allowed to compete at 4Cc we would see some scores from there too. :think: I'm sure it's more of a reflection of the skaters than the judges.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Certainly if Liza had been allowed to compete at 4Cc we would see some scores from there too. :think: I'm sure it's more of a reflection of the skaters than the judges.

I'm not so sure about that. From what I've seen this season, scores do not accurately reflect the skater's performance. PCS for instance.
Although, I don't doubt Liza's technical prowess. Her 3Lz reminds me so much of Yuna's and she can do 3A with ease. But on the PCS side, the scores this season (IMO, it started at Euros prior to the Olympics) certainly don't reflect some skaters' ability. FS scores are one of the most befuddling things I've seen in sports.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure about that. From what I've seen this season, scores do not accurately reflect the skater's performance. PCS for instance.
Although, I don't doubt Liza's technical prowess. Her 3Lz reminds me so much of Yuna's and she can do 3A with ease. But on the PCS side, the scores this season (IMO, it started at Euros prior to the Olympics) certainly don't reflect some skaters' ability. FS scores are one of the most befuddling things I've seen in sports.
So who deserved better PCS than Liza throughout the season? (And is there any judging panel in the world who would've scored things differently?)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
So who deserved better PCS than Liza throughout the season? (And is there any judging panel in the world who would've scored things differently?)

This isn't about who deserved better, but how high hers are. Inflation. But, if I had to give someone higher PCS, I'd say Gold (and I'm not even a fan, I just think her PCS should be equal or higher in most compartments).

Yep, especially EC...

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker

Are things really that simple?

For example, let's look at the judges at Worlds.

Mr. Yury KLIUSHNIKOV, I believe, is from Ukraine. Ukraine is kind of at war with Russia right now over the events in Eastern Ukraine....if Kliushnikov is ethnically Ukrainian, would he necessarily favor Russian skaters? Given the fact that a good number of my ethnic Ukrainian friends can't discuss the Ukrainian-Russian conflict right now without using profanities, maybe not.

Or what about Ms. Karen ARCHER, who is from the United Kingdom. The UK is politically, culturally, ideologically, historically, and linguistically closer to the US than Russia. Given the close ties between the US and the UK, would a UK judge necessarily favor Russian skaters just because they are (sort of) on the same continent?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

This isn't about who deserved better, but how high hers are. Inflation.

I agree with Miss Ice. I wasn't entirely talking about Liza. I wasn't singling her out. It's just that my observation about PCS starting from Euros prior to the Olympics is that PCS do not reflect the skater's ability and performance accurately, most of the time for two seasons now. We can't help but compare this generation of skaters to the previous one. For instance, Mao and Yuna had to work for years to get the PCS of 33-35 in SP. And look how more polished they are than the new crop of skaters today who get that kind of PCS already. I'm truly proud of the achievements of these new crop of skaters. They have done so well in the technical side but PCS wise, IMO, none of them deserve high PCS YET.

Just to give an example of comparison. I'll use Liza since she is the current world champ (and also, a Russian, but that's another talk):
Yuna's PCS in Danse Macabre at 2009 Worlds where she set a new world record was: 32.72 (SS: 8.45, TR: 7.75, PE:8.50, CH: 8:05, IN: 8.15)
Liza's PCS at this year's Worlds is 33.53 (SS: 8.46, TR: 7.89, PE: 8.68, CH: 8.46, IN: 8.43)

You can see none of Yuna's scores are higher than Liza's. I understand TR, but seriously in Choreo, Interpretation, Performance and Skating Skills? Especially Choreo. IMO and I believe a lot can argue about this, Yuna's CH, SS, IN were better than Liza's. Most of Liza's choreography were arm waving that didn't really go well with the music. And this is also why I'll say she needs better choreo because she's talented and has what it takes, as seen from her Gala which is my most fav performance from her.

Thing is, PCS is, nowadays, just a tool used by the judges to rank however they want. There are skaters who do well on the technical side but there are others who are more inclined in the program component side. That's why there are two parts of the scoring system. And it's not being used correctly.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I agree with Miss Ice. I wasn't entirely talking about Liza. I wasn't singling her out. It's just that my observation about PCS starting from Euros prior to the Olympics is that PCS do not reflect the skater's ability and performance accurately, most of the time for two seasons now. We can't help but compare this generation of skaters to the previous one. For instance, Mao and Yuna had to work for years to get the PCS of 33-35 in SP. And look how more polished they are than the new crop of skaters today who get that kind of PCS already. I'm truly proud of the achievements of these new crop of skaters. They have done so well in the technical side but PCS wise, IMO, none of them deserve high PCS YET.

Just to give an example of comparison. I'll use Liza since she is the current world champ (and also, a Russian, but that's another talk):
Yuna's PCS in Danse Macabre at 2009 Worlds where she set a new world record was: 32.72 (SS: 8.45, TR: 7.75, PE:8.50, CH: 8:05, IN: 8.15)
Liza's PCS at this year's Worlds is 33.53 (SS: 8.46, TR: 7.89, PE: 8.68, CH: 8.46, IN: 8.43)

You can see none of Yuna's scores are higher than Liza's. I understand TR, but seriously in Choreo, Interpretation, Performance and Skating Skills? Especially Choreo. IMO and I believe a lot can argue about this, Yuna's CH, SS, IN were better than Liza's. Most of Liza's choreography were arm waving that didn't really go well with the music. And this is also why I'll say she needs better choreo because she's talented and has what it takes, as seen from her Gala which is my most fav performance from her.

Thing is, PCS is, nowadays, just a tool used by the judges to rank however they want. There are skaters who do well on the technical side but there are others who are more inclined in the program component side. That's why there are two parts of the scoring system. And it's not being used correctly.

Lovely that you actually made it clear. I am ambivalent when it comes to SS. She is not yet at the Yuna Kim and certainly not Caro Kostner level who I think has the best footwork and edges and ease of speed and ice cover. But then, Yuna and Caro took years before they got to the level they displayed in Sochi 2014. I estimate her SS as around a low 8. Personally, I find the CH component over scored. I am actually quite OK with her PE scores. In terms of the IN, I suspect that both Tuks and to a greater extent, Lena Radio have used their big personality and smiles to good use and created a very positive feel with the audience. I am sure judges were also affected positively which in a way could have influenced them to be more generous.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Liza having better interpretation and performance/execution is on the money for mine. At least she expresses emotion on the ice.