2015 World Team Trophy countries announced | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy countries announced

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Excerpt from the official announcement:

30 Mar 2015 - Shanghai, China

... Team Russia is the top qualifier for the ISU World Team Trophy followed by the USA, Japan, Canada, France and China. The teams ranked 1 to 6 in the ISU World Team Standings qualified for the event.

Team Russia qualified with 8517 points. Team USA collected 7641 points while Japan earned 6543 points. Canada has 6400 points, France got 4993 points and China qualified with 4368 points. ...

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...03/isu-world-team-trophy-2015-qualified-teams

ETA, April 15 to 19 are the dates of WTT this year.​

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
I've started to really appreciate this competition! It's an event I don't hold a lot of emotional stake with because it's post worlds and it's not part of my traditional sense of major, important events - but it's a great way to say goodbye to this season after the come down of worlds and see the best in the world (minus a few key players) go at it one more time - plus it never gets old watching the skaters cheer for each other.

I wonder who we'll see...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Isn't it always the same 6 countries? Not a coincidence seeing as how all of them have their own Grand Prix events.

Curious as to how Japan will do, though. Their pairs and ice dance teams didn't make the FS/FD in Shanghai. Miyahara really lucked out that the Russians (sans Tuk) and the Americans were so off-kilter there and their other Japanese ladies weren't exactly blowing the judges' minds just by looking at their scores. And the men... well, besides Hanyu, were a disaster. Could they be off the podium this year?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Curious as to how Japan will do, though. Their pairs and ice dance teams didn't make the FS/FD in Shanghai. Miyahara really lucked out that the Russians (sans Tuk) and the Americans were so off-kilter there and their other Japanese ladies weren't exactly blowing the judges' minds just by looking at their scores. And the men... well, besides Hanyu, were a disaster. Could they be off the podium this year?
I think JSF might not care much about podium at WTT. The competition is viewed as a post World skating festival after all. As long as Hanyu is there, fans will buy the tickets. As long as the arena is full, JSF will be happy.

caitie

Medalist
Hmm, it will be interesting to get an ice dance rematch of P/C, W/P, and C/B... although I could see W/P opting out, if they have that choice.

I wonder if Japan will send Hanyu or give him more time off to recover from his injury. They probably need him to podium.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I wonder if Japan will send Hanyu or give him more time off to recover from his injury. They probably need him to podium.

I hope not. I would love for D. Murakami or Shoma take his spot.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think JSF might not care much about podium at WTT. The competition is viewed as a post World skating festival after all. As long as Hanyu is there, fans will buy the tickets. As long as the arena is full, JSF will be happy.

Tickets are already sold out for WTT so whether Yuzu attends or not is a moot point as to ticket sales.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Tickets are already sold out for WTT so whether Yuzu attends or not is a moot point as to ticket sales.
I think people have expected Yuzuru will there even before the team is announced. I have heard somewhere the ticket is not too expensive, right?

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I hope they rest Yuzu and let him recover properly. They can send Murakami, Shoma or other skaters for WTT.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always get a chuckle out of how obviously Japan set it up so they could actually win, by having more singles skaters than pairs/dance, but I do enjoy this comp, so I can let that slide.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I always get a chuckle out of how obviously Japan set it up so they could actually win, by having more singles skaters than pairs/dance, but I do enjoy this comp, so I can let that slide.

Actually Japan is at a disadvantage because they are weak in ice dance and pairs.
It is fact that Team Japan has strong single skaters but I don't particularly find that advantageous
to Team Japan at all.

The only year that Japan took Gold in the Team event was in 2012.

Standings:

2009 USA, Canada, Japan

2011 Cancelled due to Earthquake

2012 Japan, USA, Canada

2013 USA, Canada, Japan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Actually Japan is at a disadvantage because they are weak in ice dance and pairs.
It is fact that Team Japan has strong single skaters but I don't particularly find that advantageous
to Team Japan at all.

The only year that Japan took Gold in the Team event was in 2012.

Yup. That was due to the fact that they won both Men and Ladies (with the other entry coming 6th). Takahashi/Tran were coming off a World bronze and came 3rd (and actually won the SP!).

Japan was also helped by the fact that the US men were mid-range placements, and the Canadian ladies were weak. Russia was buried by its Men and Ice Dance team (not that I/K could have placed in the top 4). Denney/Coughlin were less than 2 points away from 2nd place in pairs, which would have tied the US with Japan.

Last edited:

Caustica

Final Flight
How has Russia not been more successful at this event?! Did they just not send their top skaters or...

ice coverage

Record Breaker