Takahashi/Kihara split | Golden Skate

Takahashi/Kihara split

evangeline

Record Breaker
Thanks to NMURA for posting a link to the article: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20150331-00000096-spnannex-spo

I can't read Japanese, but this is what Google translate says, with the relevant part bolded:

World Country tournament of figure skating (April 16 opening, Tokyo Yoyogi National Stadium) of Japan representative is the 31st, published in Tokyo, Yuzuru Hanyu (20 = ANA) of Sochi Olympic gold medalist Ragana the I had been chosen.

Hub surgery the abdomen at the end of last year, and sprained right ankle after practice resumed. In the World Championships, which was held in Shanghai, China and is aimed at Japan's first consecutive, was finished in silver medal. Order condition is not foolproof, the day before (30 days) and "it to work hard if Dell, I want to strive to recovery firmly to if not out next season" in the event of return of had been talking to.

Hub declined the '12 tournament in the right ankle sprain, '13 tournament is out from the representative in the left knee pain, this year is debutants. This season it was a continuation accident, and concludes with the best performance.

Boys Takahito Mura (24 = HIROTA), women's Kanako Murakami (20 = Chukyo Univ), Satoko Miyahara (17 = Kandai height) was elected representative. Takahashi came to Sochi Olympics in pairs Narumi, Kihara Ryuichi set (Kinoshita h) is eliminating the partner, has also been announced that you do not participate in the country tournament.

The tournament other Japan, participation Russia, the United States, Canada, France, China. Team competition was first carried out in the last year of the Sochi Olympics.

After Takahashi/Kihara's string of disastrous results (including a last-place finish at Worlds), this is not so surprising, but it's hard believe that Narumi Takahashi was a Worlds bronze medalist only three years ago.....

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I´m. Japan has not strong history in pairs, I thought that will give the parnertship another year.

Hope they both get another chance with new partners.

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't think I ever saw Takahashi landing jumps with Kihara. Kihara was landing his jumps but Takahashi on the other hand, was always falling on the jumps when I saw them.

sarama

Medalist
I think it's for the best. But I really hope Narumi finds a new partner. She is just too good. Maybe she will follow Kavaguti's example and have a long and successful career.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I don't think I ever saw Takahashi landing jumps with Kihara. Kihara was landing his jumps but Takahashi on the other hand, was always falling on the jumps when I saw them.

Main problems was not her jumps. But pair elements with Kihara were incomparable from pair elements with Tran.

lady_bee

Medalist
Main problems was not her jumps. But pair elements with Kihara were incomparable from pair elements with Tran.

According to their blog, it is Kihara who wanted break up. So sad, because I can see he was working very hard last two years:cry:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Honestly, thank God. Watching them was painful. As someone said above they were just NOT compatable on the pairs elements at all. That she can no longer land a SBS jump to save her life doesn't help.

Honestly I think both their careers are essentially over even if they manage to find new partners. Japan has no one better to offer her and it is clearly very super important to her that her partner be Japanese. Honestly if she goes and finds a non Japanese partner now, good tor her but what a slap in the face. Plus there is the real question of whether she will ever land or even rotate a SBS jump again. He is simply not a good pairs skater.

NMURA

Medalist
Obviously Narumi's horrible jumps are what held back this pair. I hope Kihara continues with a new partner. Anyone who can skate at junior national level is better than Narumi.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Obviously Narumi's horrible jumps are what held back this pair. I hope Kihara continues with a new partner. Anyone who can skate at junior national level is better than Narumi.

No, it weren't only Narumis 'horrible' jumps that held them back. Why didn't her jumps hold Takahashi/Tran back then? With Takahashi/Kihara, everything held them back - they didn't fit together at all, even their basic skating just around the rink never looked like they could work together well. Their pairs elements never worked, and that is also not just her fault. IMO, she's at least a better skater than he is, even if she is a worse jumper. The main point is: instead of one of them being at fault, they just never worked as a team.
I'm not sure either will have any shot from now on. Both would need to find a partner that really suits them, and they have little chance for that in Japan.

Sidenote: 'Anyone who can skate at junior level is better than Narumi' - at what? Single skaters at jumping? Yes, guess what, every junior single ladies skater can jump better than Narumi - that is kind of like the point of singles vs. pairs.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Yeah I just don't agree with this. Bazarovas jumps are almost as bad and she was in the top 6 or 7 at worlds/ Olys several times and has MANY international medals ( literally dozens)... not last at every single competition she ever entered. Why? She is great in lifts and death spirals, and quite good in throws, twists, spins. With this pair literally NONE OF THAT was working and that is not just Narumi's fault. It is his too, and IMO his moreso in several pairs elements but especially twists and lifts.

They just flatly were and are not comparable and never were, but she wanted to go to the Olympics and he was pretty much literally her only Japanese option, end of story.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Narumi's jumps was the weakness in Takahashi/Tran pairing but just about every element is weak in Takahashi/Kihara pairing. Japan does not have any strong male Pairs skater to offer its female Pairs skaters who found their partners from other countries. Since Japan needs at least one Pair for the Team Event, they need and retain Takahashi with any Japanese partner, even if it makes a weak team. Poor Narumi. It's like giving up your true love for a marriage of convenience and other considerations. I seriously doubt she will have any decent Pairs career now that her partner choice is limited to the male Japanese skaters who can't make it as singles.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well I saw this coming. As others have said above this pair just never jelled and there really is no blame,
these things happen. I do believe that Narumi has talent and could continue but I don't see her
finding a good pair partner in Japan.

NMURA

Medalist
There's no point of a comparison with Bazarova. I believe any girl (small enough) who can compete at junior nationals will make a better pair team with Kihara. It's very hard for any man to handle a partner who is technically a drag but very proud like Narumi. If press reports are true, Kihara is the one who made the decision to split and he has the intention to continue pairs skating. There won't be any problem to find a partner better than Narumi. I hope his two year's experiences won't be wasted. Narumi ... she can go abroad or just quit. I don't care.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
There's no point of a comparison with Bazarova. I believe any girl (small enough) who can compete at junior nationals will make a better pair team with Kihara. It's very hard for any man to handle a partner who is technically a drag but very proud like Narumi. If press reports are true, Kihara is the one who made the decision to split and he has the intention to continue pairs skating. There won't be any problem to find a partner better than Narumi. I hope his two year's experiences won't be wasted. Narumi ... she can go abroad or just quit. I don't care.

Wow, that harsh.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

WOW.

Good thing it doesn't matter if you care or not.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Oh, I guess that is why Kihara is the world vronze medali... wait.

She's a bad jumper, but there is more to skating than that. And the girls skating in singles right now might have no problems with the solo jumps, but who knows with the other pairs elements. It's not always about someone "being a drag", sometimes things just don't work out even if everyone is trying their hardest, simply because things don't fit together.