Split Falling Leaf Question | Golden Skate

Split Falling Leaf Question

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hello everyone. As someone who started as a dancer before I began my love for skating, I have always wondered why Grand Jete's or Split Leaps are called falling Leaf's. Thanks in advance.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The name "falling leaf" refers specifically to a half-rotation jump from back outside edge to forward toepick of the opposite foot, pushing onto forward inside edge of the takeoff foot, irrespective of air position.

Often the falling leaf is just a small transitional hop used in jump sequences (e.g., double axel, falling leaf, inside three turn, triple toe) or in step sequences etc. (I can't think of an example offhand because they don't stand out as small hops in that context).

When done as a small jump as above, it does kind of have a light falling quality like a leaf drifting down -- maybe that's where the name came from.

As a larger highlight move the jump can get more height and achieve a split or double stag or potentially other highlighted position in the air.

The takeoff edge is the same as the loop jump but it's not called half-loop because that name refers to a full rotation jump landing on the other foot.

But those positions can also be attained from other takeoffs. The classic split jump is a half rotation from a flip takeoff (back inside edge and toe vault) -- essentially a split half-flip. "Split flip" is a full rotation flip jump with a split air position.

Russian split, russian split, split flip

Split falling leaf, inside three, triple toe and standard (half flip) split jump, inside three, triple toe in the same program.

Split half-lutz is also possible. (So is split full lutz, but very rare)

These would NOT be called falling leafs because they don't have the back outside edge takeoff.

Last edited:
Thank you, gkelly. I am stiil curious about the question of why though. Is it that the rising and falling and turning is supposed to remind us of a leaf fluttering down in the wind?

vlaurend

Final Flight
Thank you, gkelly. I am stiil curious about the question of why though. Is it that the rising and falling and turning is supposed to remind us of a leaf fluttering down in the wind?

I think your guess is as good as anyone else's when it comes to the origin of the jump and its name. If you manage to find anything online, let us know! :)

I think your guess is as good as anyone else's when it comes to the origin of the jump and its name. If you manage to find anything online, let us know! :)

Here is the result of my extensive research. The first person to try this move was the famous Norwegian skater Leif Leifson. He fell. It has been called the "falling Leif" ever since. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here is the result of my extensive research. The first person to try this move was the famous Norwegian skater Leif Leifson. He fell. It has been called the "falling Leif" ever since. :)

I love this site! Thank you Mathman.

Vanshilar

On the Ice

:( I was hoping it'd be because he used to throw a bunch of leaves into the air when he did this move. Did you come across that in your research?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes had a really good split falling leaf.

Yes She did. In fact 2002 was the year that Michelle did two of them back to back in her LP and there were beautiful. I remember Johnny weir doing one during his step sequence in Otonal. However, Jason Brown is the clear winner when it comes to the Men. Spectacular!:points:

Last edited: